BioChroma

trendkill

I was trying to say how we don't know enough to make a textbook of it.  And remember, Vasher was one of the Five Scholars.

Also, breath is not someones soul, that was the argument of anti-awakeners.

Personally, I believe that Breath is a part of Endowment and only happens to appear within Humans.

Don't forget, the Shards influence Spiritual DNA. That's how the magic works. So while Breath is related to Endowment, because of the magic's very nature, it's also related to the Soul.

Ooh! I just had an idea. It would be interesting to have someone who, although they had a breath, were incapable of giving it away. You know, you have mutations in physical DNA, so why not in Spiritual DNA (although it's not really supposed to be interpreted that way)?

Especially if he could receive Breaths.

My guess on the last one would be "Possible, but pretty much improbable." It would be like someone here on earth being able to grow wings and fly.

It seems like genetically, it's a lot easier to get things wrong than it is to get things right.

Don't forget, the Shards influence Spiritual DNA. That's how the magic works. So while Breath is related to Endowment, because of the magic's very nature, it's also related to the Soul.

The implication seems to be that the part of a Shard either is your soul, or at least related to it. Remember that the people on Scadrial were only sentient because they had more of Preservation in them than Ruin.

The idea of mutating Spirtual DNA, or SDNA if you will, is intriguing, especially if it changes how you use magic. Like making a Feruchemist receive attributes from others rather than himself. A scary proposition indeed.

I can see the protest signs now:

*Stop Spiritual Engineering. Stop Hemalurgy*

I'd want anybody practicing Hemalurgy to immediately stop. They would be a mass murderer, remember? At least useful genetic engineering on Earth generally doesn't require killing humans.

But there's the whole, "donate yourself to hemalurgy on your deathbed" option, which is also an option for giving breath.

I'm not sure about what would happen with those techniques. It's occasionally been asked why people don't pass their breath on to their descendants when it's obvious they are on their last legs. Given what Brandon has said about the strength of Breaths (it apparently does depend on the health of the donor), I suspect that giving away your single, normal breath while dying of natural causes would result in extraordinarily weak Breaths, far less useful for Awakening than most, and would hardly be worth the risk of just keeling over on the spot from the shock of having given it away.

It's possible that Hemalurgy would have the same problem. In my mind, though, the real cost of Hemalurgy in any form would be to leave yourself much more open to manipulation by Soothers and Rioters.

Heh. There could be a national magic donor registry. Depending on what country you live in, it would either be opt-in or opt-out. Then an evil person could get a hold of that list (a la Heroes) and... *goes off into his own tangential fanfic universe*

• Chaos locked this topic