Does anyone else watch this show? More importantly, was anyone else completely blown away by the latest episode, "Northwest Manor Mystery"? 

It was insane. If that episode were a movie, it'd have to fight for a PG-13 rating, but the fact they put that stuff into a cartoon is just evidence that they're not really targeting kids. That episode was dark, intense, messed up, and absolutely awesome.

And I kind of want to give Pacifica a hug now.

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

I just watched the first episode of this show. It was quite possibly the strangest thing I've ever watched. :huh::lol:

Yeaaaahhhh….Oregon humor is a little strange to those who aren't from there, or who haven't been there often. And later episodes get even weirder. Quote to illustrate strangeness below the spoiler. 

"Hey! Ben Franklin secretly was a woman!"

It only makes slightly more sense in context. :lol: 

Yeaaaahhhh….Oregon humor is a little strange to those who aren't from there, or who haven't been there often. And later episodes get even weirder. Quote to illustrate strangeness below the spoiler. 

"Hey! Ben Franklin secretly was a woman!"

It only makes slightly more sense in context. :lol:

Does all Oregon humor look like this?

maxresdefault.jpg

Because that's what Gravity Falls humor looks like. :P

Does all Oregon humor look like this?

maxresdefault.jpg

Because that's what Gravity Falls humor looks like. :P

Pretty much, yes. Except for when it's Oregon awesomeness, in which case it looks more like this: 

tumblr_moz4f0onYf1qhjgado3_500.gif

And yes, that dinosaur is real. 

Pretty much, yes. Except for when it's Oregon awesomeness, in which case it looks more like this: 

tumblr_moz4f0onYf1qhjgado3_500.gif

And yes, that dinosaur is real. 

Note to self: keep watching this show, and visit Oregon at earliest opportunity. :D

Have you ever seen this video? It's often described as "Doctor Who meets Gravity Falls." And it's awesome. :D

Note to self: keep watching this show, and visit Oregon at earliest opportunity. :D

Have you ever seen this video? It's often described as "Doctor Who meets Gravity Falls." And it's awesome. :D

I would so watch that show. :D 

Especially if they did a crossover where the Doctor meets Mabel and Dipper Pines. 

I would so watch that show. :D

Especially if they did a crossover where the Doctor meets Mabel and Dipper Pines. 

So would I. :D With the dark direction the main series has taken recently, I can't help but think a more light-hearted animated spinoff would do the franchise good.

I want to see Soos meet Craig from The Lodger and Closing Time. :ph34r::D

Edited by Kobold King

So would I. :D With the dark direction the main series has taken recently, I can't help but think a more light-hearted animated spinoff would do the franchise good.

I want to see Soos meet Craig from The Lodger and Closing Time. :ph34r::D

As Craig becomes one with the sofa, Soos would become one with the armchair. :P 

I agree. And Mabel Pines makes anything more lighthearted. Put her in the Final Empire, and the Lord Ruler will find his face bedazzled. Throw her into Warbreaker, and she'll Awaken teddy bears with the Command to "Hug things" and "Make donuts." Send her to Newcago, and she'll knit Steelheart a new cape. A pink one. With hearts. And butterflies. :D 

As Craig becomes one with the sofa, Soos would become one with the armchair. :P 

I agree. And Mabel Pines makes anything more lighthearted. Put her in the Final Empire, and the Lord Ruler will find his face bedazzled. Throw her into Warbreaker, and she'll Awaken teddy bears with the Command to "Hug things" and "Make donuts." Send her to Newcago, and she'll knit Steelheart a new cape. A pink one. With hearts. And butterflies. :D

It sounds like someone's in for a long overdue meeting with Doctor Funtimes. :ph34r:

Are all the episode antagonists as... unconventional as Norman the "Normal Man"? :P

It sounds like someone's in for a long overdue meeting with Doctor Funtimes. :ph34r:

Are all the episode antagonists as... unconventional as Norman the "Normal Man"? :P

I suppose I'll just have to WHOOC it sometime….as well as their inevitable meeting with a certain green-hatted necromancer. :ph34r: 

….I checked the episode list to confirm, but I think Norman is one of the less unconventional antagonists. Should you continue down this path, you will also find….

• a haunted convenience store
  • an absurdly manly minotaur Manotaur 
  • a creepy young man who is more than he seems 
  • a government conspiracy centering on a forgotten president and
  • a hilariously terrifying triangle demon

And that's just in Season 1! 

I've heard really good things about this show. I saw one episode- about a boy band, to avoid spoilers- but...

Well, it was okay. I could definitely enjoy watching it more often. My only problem is, because I prefer having everything from beginning to end, I don't want to just start watching randomly. Which means waiting for channels to go back to the pilot/first episode/whatever.

I saw the episode "Legend of the Gobblewonker."

"In hindsight, it all seems a bit contrived."

That old man was hilarious, in a terrifyingly insane kind of way. :lol:

As is Bill Cipher, from the YouTube clip I saw of him. :mellow:

Theres actually more to Old Man McGucket than meets the eye.....

Which clip did you watch?

Seriously? This show has a more conspiratorial set of lore than The X-Files. :o

"Reality's an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!"

That's what makes it so awesomely Oregon, in my opinion. Pretty much everyone in Oregon believes in one conspiracy theory or another--political, social, space-alien related, take your pick. It's part of why there are so many preppers there. That this show made their entire Myth Arc essentially one big conspiracy theory is just an awesome reflection of the state in which it is set. :D

He was relatively nice in that one, comparatively speaking. :mellow:

That's what makes it so awesomely Oregon, in my opinion. Pretty much everyone in Oregon believes in one conspiracy theory or another--political, social, space-alien related, take your pick. It's part of why there are so many preppers there. That this show made their entire Myth Arc essentially one big conspiracy theory is just an awesome reflection of the state in which it is set. :D

He was relatively nice in that one, comparatively speaking. :mellow:

So if I went to Oregon and began purporting the following...

• The government is trying to control our lives;
  • All world governments are being secretly masterminded by the Illuminati;
  • The Illuminati is secretly puppeteered by a consortium of aliens originating from the Zeta Reticuli system;
  • The aliens themselves answer to the Satanic Cult of the Nephilim;

...would they hail me as King of the Oregonians? :P

In all seriousness, that just makes the show sound even cooler. :D

Yeah. From what I've heard on private channels, he winds up as quite the Creepy McCreeperton. :wacko:

Out of curiosity, which would you rate higher as a children's cartoon: Gravity Falls or Phineas and Ferb? I've heard you speak highly of both.

So if I went to Oregon and began purporting the following...

• The government is trying to control our lives;
  • All world governments are being secretly masterminded by the Illuminati;
  • The Illuminati is secretly puppeteered by a consortium of aliens originating from the Zeta Reticuli system;
  • The aliens themselves answer to the Satanic Cult of the Nephilim;
...would they hail me as King of the Oregonians? :P

In all seriousness, that just makes the show sound even cooler. :D

Yeah. From what I've heard on private channels, he winds up as quite the Creepy McCreeperton. :wacko:

Out of curiosity, which would you rate higher as a children's cartoon: Gravity Falls or Phineas and Ferb? I've heard you speak highly of both.

Depending on who you talked to, perhaps. :P

Wait until you meet Lil Gideon. :wacko:

Why do you have to ask such good questions? :P I'd hesitate to compare them to each other, because they're so different. P&F is an excellent wacky-hijinks-with-a-heart show, where it's completely plausible for a 15 year old girl to accidentally become a blues singer after being exposed to wild parsnips, and where searching for an ancient element with an adorable alien in Seattle is just another Tuesday. At the end of every episode, the status quo is (usually, mostly) reinstated so the hijinks can begin anew the next day.

GF, on the other hand, is a rare wacky adventure show played straight. Mabel and Dipper come across some weird things, and they certainly joke about them, but the consequences of their adventures are always played straight. There is no reset button. When they're in peril, the peril is REAL, and the effects of it longer long after the episode ends. The wacky creatures they meet possess hidden depths of one sort or another: Either they are more human than the twins thought, or they are considerably less human than they seem. When an enemy tries to conquer the town or do some other nefarious thing, that enemy isn't written off as a nut--they're almost always portrayed as genuinely, terrifyingly evil.

Both shows are excellent, but they're excellent in different ways. Comparing them would be like comparing a chocolate pie and an order of hot wings--both are delicious, and they're both of the same high quality, but it really isn't fair to say one is more delicious than the other. Better to just enjoy one right after the other.

That's a very good analysis of the two shows. You're right; Phineas and Ferb's status quo is so unbreakable that it becomes a recurring gag in the series itself, while from the two episodes I've seen so far Gravity Falls seems to hold a good deal of continuity between episodes. (The second one had a direct reference to the first, with Dipper asking Mabel whether she'd gotten a picture of the gnomes from the first episode. It was a simple thing, but it did wonders to stress that the characters perfectly retain the memories of their experiences.)

Not having seen any more of the series, I can't answer your well-worded points with anything else but an upvote. :P

In other news, I watched a YouTube video that pointed out all the subliminal messages in the opening credits. It was... strange. :mellow: Honestly, I've seen videos of UFOs and supposed cryptids that didn't send as many shivers down my spine as it did.

gravity5-e1342197764849.jpg

And to think, this flashed before my eyes both times I saw that theme, and I didn't notice either time. Consider me well and truly hooked and unnerved, Gravity Falls producers.

That's a very good analysis of the two shows. You're right; Phineas and Ferb's status quo is so unbreakable that it becomes a recurring gag in the series itself, while from the two episodes I've seen so far Gravity Falls seems to hold a good deal of continuity between episodes. (The second one had a direct reference to the first, with Dipper asking Mabel whether she'd gotten a picture of the gnomes from the first episode. It was a simple thing, but it did wonders to stress that the characters perfectly retain the memories of their experiences.)

Not having seen any more of the series, I can't answer your well-worded points with anything else but an upvote. :P

In other news, I watched a YouTube video that pointed out all the subliminal messages in the opening credits. It was... strange. :mellow: Honestly, I've seen videos of UFOs and supposed cryptids that didn't send as many shivers down my spine as it did.

gravity5-e1342197764849.jpg

And to think, this flashed before my eyes both times I saw that theme, and I didn't notice either time. Consider me well and truly hooked and unnerved, Gravity Falls producers.

Just wait until the secret behind that odd zodiac is revealed. My siblings and I are still theorizing about it.

Oh! And if you're into that sort of thing, the closing credits for each episode have a cryptogram. I've never had the inclination to decode one, but I've seen a few translations on YouTube.

But you have such a wonderful and quirky journey ahead of you. :D Conspiracies, humor, sly winks to American history...I think you'll enjoy it quite a bit.

• 1 month later...