Which power would you choose?

Straff Venture

504 members have voted

1. 1. What power do you wish you had the most?

• Allomancy
    • Feruchemy
    • Hemalurgy
    • AonDor
    • Chayshan
    • Dakhor Monk
    • Awakening
    • Returned
    • Soulcasting
    • Surgebinding
    • Shardplate
    • Twinborn

Hemalurgy isn't necessarily bad. A condemned murderer doesn't deserve to live, hence why they get capital punishment. If making a Hemalurgic spike benefits the community, and you make them from condemned criminals, it would be beneficial.

That is most definitely not a universal opinion. I myself don't believe in capital punishment.

Anyway, Hemalurgy to me can only be justified if it is done in the most clean and painless possible method, and the hemalurgist was already in a position where he would be forced to kill him/her anyway. say you're defending yourself against a Gold compounder: in that case, your only option would be to shoot him in the heart with Pewter and steal his Allomantic gold to stop him from regenerating and killing you. Other than that, though, I personally find the act of making a hemalurgic spike evil, and I'm okay with that. It's just an action, and not all actions need be so morally gray or justifiable.

I don't see Hemalurgy as inherently evil, although I don't agree with the capital punishment version either, but what about people with incurable diseases who just want to help someone else? I'd see it as something like being an organ donor, taking organs from people against their will? Definitely not a good thing but from someone who's already dying? I think it's great that people are capable of that kind of generosity. As long as the person being spiked was anesthetized first I don't see a problem with it.

Well this is the part of the conversation when I usually start getting yelled at, and for good measure someone's already mentioned rape, so apart from saying that I agree with Porridge and I don't think the rest of you are thinking of all the actual implications, this is what I look like when I shut my mouth.

"People of Scadrial! You are being CONTROLLED!!! Only tin aluminum-foil hats can protect you from the evil mind-rays of your politicians, TYRANTS who control the minds of their so-called 'voters'!!!!"

Edited by Kurkistan

Not sure if this is exactly the right thread, but I'd like to have a girlfriend who is a Soother. I think I would enjoy the occasional "emotional massage", and I sometimes need to be kept in check.

I uh... I think there are a lot of husbands and wives who would benefit a lot from rioting their spouses in the lulls.

Soothing and Rioting would certainly have their... possibilities. It makes me wonder how Scadrial's political system has evolved. Imagine a modern politician with The. Lord Rulers ability to Riot/Soothe with Duralumin.

I think I remember reading something in Alloy (or maybe it was the broadsheet?) about a politician whose platform was "I'm a smoker, so I'm immune to emotional allomancy, vote for me!"

Soothing and Rioting would certainly have their... possibilities. It makes me wonder how Scadrial's political system has evolved. Imagine a modern politician with The. Lord Rulers ability to Riot/Soothe with Duralumin.

Especially in a world where people know about emotional allomancy, the ability to have people spend several seconds in love with you would be of... limited efficacy.

Well, BS says that Hemo is inherently bad. So the act of making a kandra, ripping someone's spirit web apart, is inherently bad, whether they would be killed or would die anyway.

If we're ignoring the problems with Hemo, I'd just go with being a Marsh-inquisitor. He pretty much has the same powers TLR had (but weaker)

Just because BS says it's a bad thing, it's not definitively bad unless, in universe, it makes you bad without exceptions. It might be a bad idea, but is not morally impermissible: Brandon is only a moral authority in-universe if he chooses to exercise that power in-universe

Just because BS says it's a bad thing, it's not definitively bad unless, in universe, it makes you bad without exceptions. It might be a bad idea, but is not morally impermissible: Brandon is only a moral authority in-universe if he chooses to exercise that power in-universe

And so we're officially back where we started. Oh joy.  -_-

Of the options I'd probably go with Surgebinding and choose the Elsecallers. Since I could go anywhere and create anything I would need, seems very self-sufficient. What I would really like is something like what Hoid can do, as he seems to have parlayed his abilities into something greater than the options in the poll. 

Not sure if this is exactly the right thread, but I'd like to have a girlfriend who is a Soother. I think I would enjoy the occasional "emotional massage", and I sometimes need to be kept in check.

I think mostly everyone would like that. not only a girlfriend, but also my best friends. i trust them enough to use emotional allomancy to help me and not to take advantage of me.

but NOT my parents. they'd try to manipulate me into doing what they think is best, in terms of life choices. and since i have totally different opinions compared to them, it would be a disaster.

I think mostly everyone would like that. not only a girlfriend, but also my best friends. i trust them enough to use emotional allomancy to help me and not to take advantage of me.

but NOT my parents. they'd try to manipulate me into doing what they think is best, in terms of life choices. and since i have totally different opinions compared to them, it would be a disaster.

That's a fascinating angle to take on this.  I'd absolutely trust my girlfriend with emotional allomancy and I'd love for her to be able to Soothe or Riot me in certain situations. Just imagine, it's the night before a big interview and you can't sleep because of the stress.  Or you're feeling down because something bad has just happened.  

To channel Breeze for a moment, they're already influencing your emotions in these situations.  Allomancy would just make it easier.

Now personally, I'd lean towards a Twinborn or a Surgebinder.  I want to play around with "flight"/gravity.  

For the Twinborn, it'd either be a Crasher, or more or less anything with Steel.  I like the idea of compounding Steel, but frankly it seems a little lacklustre - Zinc probably provides more as a pairing, even without the ability to compound.  Copper, Chromium and Gold are all fun too.

As for Surgebinding, I'm very curious to see what the other order with access to gravitation can do with their powers.  But being a Windrunner would hardly be the worst thing in the world, either.  

That's a fascinating angle to take on this.  I'd absolutely trust my girlfriend with emotional allomancy and I'd love for her to be able to Soothe or Riot me in certain situations. Just imagine, it's the night before a big interview and you can't sleep because of the stress.  Or you're feeling down because something bad has just happened.  

To channel Breeze for a moment, they're already influencing your emotions in these situations.  Allomancy would just make it easier.

Now personally, I'd lean towards a Twinborn or a Surgebinder.  I want to play around with "flight"/gravity.  

For the Twinborn, it'd either be a Crasher, or more or less anything with Steel.  I like the idea of compounding Steel, but frankly it seems a little lacklustre - Zinc probably provides more as a pairing, even without the ability to compound.  Copper, Chromium and Gold are all fun too.

As for Surgebinding, I'm very curious to see what the other order with access to gravitation can do with their powers.  But being a Windrunner would hardly be the worst thing in the world, either.  

(Windrunners do have access to gravitation. That's the basic and reverse lashings.)

(Windrunners do have access to gravitation. That's the basic and reverse lashings.)

Well... yeah.  Hence also being interested in the other order with access to gravitation.  Basic and Reverse lashings are great, but the other one seems pretty meh.

My hope is that the other order gets another, more useful, power to complement them.  

Edited by Tarion

Well... yeah.  Hence also being interested in the other order with access to gravitation.  Basic and Reverse lashings are great, but the other one seems pretty meh.

My hope is that the other orders gets another, more useful, power to complement them.  

Well, if you were to divide something along the middle while making each half fall in a different direction with a short-lived but very powerful gravity effect, they would seem to bisect violently