Which power would you choose?

Straff Venture

504 members have voted

1. 1. What power do you wish you had the most?

• Allomancy
    • Feruchemy
    • Hemalurgy
    • AonDor
    • Chayshan
    • Dakhor Monk
    • Awakening
    • Returned
    • Soulcasting
    • Surgebinding
    • Shardplate
    • Twinborn

As Miles show Gold compunders stop feeling pain

I think you would have to specifically not heal for long enough for them to take out the organ, which would suck. 

Miles was healing at pedal-to-da-medal speed every second, I don't think his body ever had a second to  register  something is wrong. Even when he breaks his leg he says he feels his legs try to break, the cracks resealing even as they appeared.

To donate an organ you can't heal. A Dr. Would open you up and wouldn't have time to remove anything. Which means until it's over, you're gonna be in alot of pain. Like I says. Good . Luck.

Blood/plasma/etc... is about all you could donate as its an ongoing intravenous process.

Donating organs is very philanthropic (somehow I doubt that's the right word) and all, but I doubt think anyone has the stomach (literally) to withstand such a process. Reminds me of the Heralds torture..

yeah, reminds me of a certain titan who pissed off Zeus. 

Though people said that TLR could survive decapitation, if that's actually true, cut off my head, let me regrow my body, and use the stuff in the other body. But i'd never attempt that just in case it's an exaggeration of him. lol

Miles was healing at pedal-to-da-medal speed every second, I don't think his body ever had a second to  register  something is wrong. Even when he breaks his leg he says he feels his legs try to break, the cracks resealing even as they appeared.

To donate an organ you can't heal. A Dr. Would open you up and wouldn't have time to remove anything. Which means until it's over, you're gonna be in alot of pain. Like I says. Good . Luck.

By the same logic you can let the sediatives work and heal your organs after the operation. Unless Feruchemical gold dosen´t work when the wound starts closing or something similar.

I think that discussion about donating organs may be moot. in order to donate an organ you need to be at least partially compatible with the receiver, so that his immunitary system won't attack the new organ immediately (still a transplanted organ won't last forever, but I think if you're not compatible it last even less). since you cannot change your dna, you'd only be able to donate organ to a very small number of people.

Or I may be wrong and it only applies to bone marrow? Not sure.

There is the question of whether the spren in question might be able to voluntarily break the bond from their end at that point, if you did it by stealing a Nahel bond.

Edited by Kurkistan

Feruchemical Nicrosil, Allomanic Cadmium, and a Surgebinding Honorblade would be pretty hilarious. Store stormlight in (if copper is any judge) a perfect container, make a super-speed bubble, go to town on 2-3 guys with your Windrunner/Edgedancer blade and call it gg, wp. 

I'm tempted to choose AonDor, because of its usefulness in every situation, but, considering how often I forget various less-complex glyphs and runes, I would probably not be very proficient with it. So I will choose Chayshan, because it feels similar to the Tai chi and swordplay forms I'm familiar with.

I think Feruchemy has the best practical application in the real world. And even though I know this is all based on the premise that you would have access to what you need to power the power, I think it would be nice to only be limited to what metals you are wearing rather than worrying about perpetually running out of stormlight or metals. Plus I think being able to to do things like increase your luck or your memory would be more helpful than a lot of the other physical powers. Although having access to the transportation Surge was super tempting for me.

I would definately pick a full feruchemist. There are just too many possibilities and very few drawbacks. Have a few metalmines implanted under the skin and I would never be without access to power.

My second choice is twinborn double steel. Just call me the flash that can fly.

Depends. Feruchemy would be extremely useful here on Earth, given how discreet it is, and all you need is metal. 

However, if we assume that the means for using the powers are equal even here, I'd take Surgebinding, and be an Elsecaller. Soulcasting seems like the most varied Surge to have, if you master it. It can obviously be partially used for Healing (even if not to the extent of Regrowing), and it can be used offensively, or just as a utility. Transportation would be cool in general, and from the description, it sounds like it could be used to visit other worlds as well. Which would mean the possibility of learning other kinds of magic ...

Feruchemy for me. It draws its power from metal, but unlike Allomancy, it does not consume the metals, making it a lot cheaper and more sustainable over time.

I can't tell whether someone has already made this point before me, but I think being an Archivist Ferring would be pretty awesome. Imagine: you could read a book, and then store your memories of it. You could re-read your favorite stories over and over again without knowing what to expect. And then, when the time comes for theories and speculation, you could tap into your copperminds and recite obscure quotes with perfect attention to detail. :)

Soulcasting ftw, for sure.  I mean, they're providing over 100,000 soldiers, plus their camp followers, with the necessities of life with a relatively few soulcasters.  Assuming enough gems and stormlight, it has some of the greatest potential for good in the real world.  What's that, you're starving?  Got a rock? Cool. Here's 50 pounds of boring, but nutritious, food.  Instant housing.  Oh, and you also want to be able to use it for offensive purposes? How about lightning bolts, turning someone into smoke/fire/blood/crystal?

Soulcasting ftw, for sure.  I mean, they're providing over 100,000 soldiers, plus their camp followers, with the necessities of life with a relatively few soulcasters.  Assuming enough gems and stormlight, it has some of the greatest potential for good in the real world.  What's that, you're starving?  Got a rock? Cool. Here's 50 pounds of boring, but nutritious, food.  Instant housing.  Oh, and you also want to be able to use it for offensive purposes? How about lightning bolts, turning someone into smoke/fire/blood/crystal?

Sorry to play devil's advocate here, but seems to me you're forgetting a big problem: soulcasting need gems, and gems on earth are MUCH rares than on roshar. sure, they are maintaining a big army with soulcasting, but they are harvesting every few days a melon-sized gemheart to empower it. All things considered it would be cheaper and easier to just grow the food than to dig a mine looking for an emerald to make said food.

Unless, as part of the "availability of the magic fuel in the real world" the chance that a gem would shatter is vastly decreased.

Does inherent Soulcasting really need specific gem stones? I was under the impression that that was just for fabrial, and that Jasnah just pretended to need to corresponding gems. And that Jasnah typically carried her Soulcaster with what allowed her to transform crystal, smoke and fire (but she still managed to transform all the food and stuff). But maybe I missed something.