Which power would you choose?

Straff Venture

504 members have voted

1. 1. What power do you wish you had the most?

• Allomancy
    • Feruchemy
    • Hemalurgy
    • AonDor
    • Chayshan
    • Dakhor Monk
    • Awakening
    • Returned
    • Soulcasting
    • Surgebinding
    • Shardplate
    • Twinborn

Regarding the difficulty of getting the right metals for allomancy/feuchemy, Brandson Sanderson's website sells vials of allomantic metals:

http://store.brandonsanderson.com/vials-of-metals/

Thus, all you have to do is buy them from him, analyze the alloy components, and get things with the same composition.

As far as purity goes, note the books refer to "allomantically pure" metals, so there's a point at which impurities don't make a difference. Note, also, that it's a level of purity which the technology of the Final Empire can produce. Modern techniques ought to produce metals of better quality.

I voted Awakening, but I would have chosen Hemalurgy if mye spikes granted me all the magical powers in the Cosmere, not just those on Scadrial. I think I have read a WoB that it's possible, but I can't find it, so it might have been my imagination.....

Regarding the difficulty of getting the right metals for allomancy/feuchemy, Brandson Sanderson's website sells vials of allomantic metals:

http://store.brandonsanderson.com/vials-of-metals/

Thus, all you have to do is buy them from him, analyze the alloy components, and get things with the same composition.

As far as purity goes, note the books refer to "allomantically pure" metals, so there's a point at which impurities don't make a difference. Note, also, that it's a level of purity which the technology of the Final Empire can produce. Modern techniques ought to produce metals of better quality.

He sells Atium. I deduce one word: fraud! :P

LoL remember what I said about everything we need being only a few clicks away?  ;)

King of Nowhere, please correct me about this, but are pure Zinc, Tin, Iron, Chromium and Cadmium widely used in everyday objects? As for alloys, is every possible alloy named Brass, Bronze, Pewter, Duralumin, Electrum, Nicrosil or Bendalloy (yes, that last one exists) present in everyday objects?

(now, please note - I did not even mention the fact that those objects are supposed to be on your person at all times)

Sorry, I hadn't checked this thread in a while and missed that question.

However, I can still answer now. Premising that my area of expertise is organic chemistry, so I may not be very accurate on metal, I think all those would be pretty difficult to find. You'd have to contact a factory and have them made specifically for you. I think tin is used where some cheap stuff is needed, but I'm not sure if it is pure or not. iron is very rarely used as it is, generally some version of steel is preferred. even most steels would hardly be allomantic, since we tend to put a bit of everything in them for extra performance (I have a friend working in a steel manufactory, and he said thagt they make over 500 different types of steel, alloying it with almost every other transition metal). chromium and cadmium are extensively used in alloys, but I don't know of a single application of them as pure metals.

So, overall, I agree with you that it would be difficult to find the right allomantic metals in everyday objects. It would just be reasonably cheap to order them in the right compposition

I'd be a double gold Twinborn.  Appropriate precautions could make a gold compounder literally invincible.  

Miles only lost because (A) he got caught by a cadmium-burner he wasn't aware of and (B ) his mooks were unable to take out Wayne early on.  If Tarson or Clamps had gotten a headshot on Wayne early on in the fight, Miles probably would've won.  

Edited by GroundPetrel

I'd be a double gold Twinborn.  Appropriate precautions could make a gold compounder literally invincible.  

Miles only lost because (A) he got caught by a cadmium-burner he wasn't aware of and (B ) his mooks were unable to take out Wayne early on.  If Tarson or Clamps had gotten a headshot on Wayne early on in the fight, Miles probably would've won.  

I think part of the problem with double gold twin born is that becoming careless would be pretty much unavoidable.  You're basically invincible, but other than that you don't have anything special going for you, so you look for ways for your invincibility to be used as a weapon.  You end up leaping into dangerous situations, and even if you do your best to take care to avoid traps, a clever opponent will be able to catch you.  

I think part of the problem with double gold twin born is that becoming careless would be pretty much unavoidable.  You're basically invincible, but other than that you don't have anything special going for you, so you look for ways for your invincibility to be used as a weapon.  You end up leaping into dangerous situations, and even if you do your best to take care to avoid traps, a clever opponent will be able to catch you.  

Point.  But if you're smart, and you're careful to ALWAYS have a backup, then you're basically invincible.  

Swallow some knives, then dig them out of your body if you need 'em.  Keep multiple sticks of dynamite in waterproof casings inside your arms or behind your ribs.  

These and others are cool stunts that an Augur/Bloodmaker could do.  The trick is having a backup and contingency for everything.  

It would be hard to pull out things from inside you however. While a Compounder could certainly survive the effects, Feruchemical gold doesn't make you any stronger, and tearing those out in a pinch would require a ton of strength. In-body storage is better for metalminds, as Miles demonstrates.

The thing with being double gold is, you don't have to be a supervillain. Like just being immortal is good enough, if you don't properly piss people off to the point that they realize you are immortal and try and catch you, you're fine. 

Question, I'm assuming that gold would include healing from poisons and stuff, so people can't just tranq you, right?

I'd be most worried about someone noticing that I heal like that, telling the government, and then them trying to capture me and experiment on me. 

It would be hard to pull out things from inside you however. While a Compounder could certainly survive the effects, Feruchemical gold doesn't make you any stronger, and tearing those out in a pinch would require a ton of strength. In-body storage is better for metalminds, as Miles demonstrates.

Point.  So you carry extra metalminds, and make them sharp enough to cut away your flesh.  

Or just stick steel blades through your arms.  It's a cool, terrifying effect, and with double gold...

Yeah.  That's pretty damnation good.  

If I'm allowed an OP power choice, I choose full Mistborn, full Ferruchemist.  Just like TLR.  

With all the anticipation for words of radiance, I'm thinking being a cadmium misting would be damnation cool.

I have some savings that will be enough to execute my plan:

1) stop the rent for my apartment, leave my job and cut all links to society.

2) buy food for a few months, and enough cadmium to pull out the rest of the plan

3) find a sheltered place that is close enough to a bookstore (maybe a small cave). store cadmium, food and some clothes there, plus one mattress and one pillow

4) grab my copy of way of kings, go to sheltered place, lay on the mattress, start reading, burn cadmium.

5) finish the book, all the while burning cadmium.

6) By the time I finished the book, the next book in line should have come out. So drop the bubble, go to the near city, go to a bookstore, get my coopy of the next book, go back to shelter, repeat 4 and 5

7) repeat 4 to 6 until I finished the whole series in one go.

On the plus side, once done I'll be 20 years in the future, which will probably be slightly better than the present, cause, you know, progress.

On the down side, everyone I've ever loved will have long forgotten me. If I'm particularly unlucky, I've been declared dead andd my bank account will have gone to my closest relatives.

Well "haha, you won't learn anything" isn't that helpful for me if they capture me and I'm no longer free.  

If I was a double gold, I'd try and become wolverine though. haha

Dude.  You just broke my MIND.  

Double gold, with upgrades like that...

That's invincible right there.  But it'd probably act as a whole-body Hemalurgic spike as soon as you killed someone...

Oh, MAN.  Mind=BROKEN.  

Yeah, I thought of that, if I could trust people enough to cut me opened and take stuff with out me passing out or them trying to capture me, I'd totally give loads of stuff, but if not, just lots of blood and blood type stuff (plasma, and other things like that)

Yeah, after shooting yourself in the head with a shotgun half a dozen times. You don't get to "not feeling pain" until you've gone through enough hell to make the Heralds feel blessed.

Still worth it, IMHO, if I can donate infinite organs...That's a huge benefit to the world.  

Does gold Compounding mean that bits of your body that are removed disappear, or what?  

I think we need a Word of Brandon on this.  Gold healing seems to work like Wolverine's healing powers, but we don't explicitly see little bits of Miles everywhere in Alloy of Law after his little explosive stunt.  

I think you would have to specifically not heal for long enough for them to take out the organ, which would suck. I'd also say things that you can't live with out you wouldn't be able to donate, due to having to have it completely out b4 you could heal it, otherwise you would just heal what they do and they couldn't take it.

This is also why I mentioned passing out from what they do/thepain That's also why I said, straight up, blood and another things like that.