Chicago 02/20/2015

WeiryWriter

Here's a spoiler-y Firefight question I've been meaning to add to the Ultimate List:

What abilities did Regalia believe David was going to be given? She describes them as "thematically appropriate" but to what was she referring.

Regalia wanted him to get the powers of the Epic Waterlog (I think that was his name), who was used to make the Spyril, after David essentially used his corpse as a power battery.

Regalia wanted him to get the powers of the Epic Waterlog (I think that was his name), who was used to make the Spyril, after David essentially used his corpse as a power battery.

That was her original intent, yes. But the impression I got from the text was that it was a suggestion on her part, and that then Calamity assured her that he would get "thematically appropriate" powers".

That was her original intent, yes. But the impression I got from the text was that it was a suggestion on her part, and that then Calamity assured her that he would get "thematically appropriate" powers".

And Regalia didn't know more either, at least that's the impression I got, so asking what Calamity wanted to give him would probably make more sense. On a similar note, I wonder how much Calamity can influence what powers Epics get. He can enhance them, so there's some control but different people may only be able to maifest specific powers or have a minimum amount of power Calamity needs to grant them. Maybe Calamity only called them "thematically appropriate" because he doesn't know what he would get either and wanted to cover that fact up.

Why didn't UV from the sun pierce Nightwielders darkness over Newcago when Davids UV flashlight could cut his shadow tendril things?
Is there any link between the powers Epics have and their former lives?
Did Conflux overcome his weakness?
Once an Epics weakness has been overcome is their any way to cancel their powers?

Sleep? But we need more signing reports! It was going to be the third part of the best day ever, along with HPMOR and Pact updates.

You read HPMOR? That's awesome!

It's still 3 in the afternoon where I live, so assuming they sleep for less than eight hours and start posting answers as soon as they wake up, I might still get that "best day ever". :D

Get to it, Americans!

(Just kidding. Take your time. :) )

By the way, what is "Pact"?

Edited by skaa

By the way, what is "Pact"?

It's a web serial, like HPMOR, though I guess HPMOR falls under the fanfiction umbrella. The author's description sums up the concept pretty well:

Blake Thorburn was driven away from home and family by a vicious fight over inheritance, returning only for a deathbed visit with the grandmother who set it in motion.   Blake soon finds himself next in line to inherit the property, a trove of dark supernatural knowledge, and the many enemies his grandmother left behind her in the small town of Jacob’s Bell.

It's quite the fun read, and the author is just finishing it up. The magic is very soft compared to what Sanderson writes and the story is much darker, so I'm not sure if most people who like Sanderson would like it. Wildbow writes his stories in one go, and they tend to need some editing, but for the most part they're great.

The author is also somewhat better-known for doing Worm, which is a rather interesting take on doing people with superpowers. The main character is a girl with the power to control bugs (which you'd think would be an awful power, but she makes it work) who wants to be a superhero. At some point it turns into epic fantasy but much more modern. Again, very dark. I find it better written than Pact, except that the first few chapters of Worm are kind of meh.

Would recommend both! And HPMOR obviously, except that HPMOR is extremely polarizing in that some people and love it and some people can't stand it and I suspect the latter group is much more numerous.

Edited by Moogle

Somebody asked it, it's in the Signing Line audio. Brandon's answer was vague. Two things I remember from it: 1. Shallan's eyes are already light, so no change, and 2. Some eye colors in modern Roshar are genetic mutations.

Edited by Argent