I'm standing by NutellaLove for the Just Deserts. Here's the profile:

Name: NutellaLove

Primary Ability: Covering everything she sees with Nutella

Secondary Ability: Turning into a human Nutella figure.

Passive Ability: Addicting everyone in a quarter mile radius to Nutella.

The last two sound like a very bad combination. If she addicts everyone to Nutella and then turns into a living Nutella figure....let's just say Just Desserts will be down a member very quickly. :unsure:

I'm no weatherman, but I think their power struggle might explain some of the unusually sunny days the game has seen, especially if Snowfall was stealing rain from Oregon. Coastal cities would probably also start having unusually cold weather as arctic air swept by. On the other hand, if Snowfall were feeling benevolent and decided to bless her subjects with a few days of sunshine, Oregonian weather would most likely remain untouched during that time.

Yeah, Astoria isn't exactly a good training ground. More "prove how well you can write an OP tyrant" from what I've heard.

Fun fact: beginning random conversations with "I'm no weatherman" is a great way to confuse people. Example: "I'm no weatherman, but I found Mistborn to be a fresh and innovative approach to the fantasy genre." :P

That sounds reasonable. And it would explain why the rainy weather that the northwest is so well known for hasn't been very well-represented. (That, and the fact that the entire RP scarcely covers two or three days.)

What do you think of the idea of using "What Happened in Gresham" for a tutorial, Twi? The one problem I see with it is that it might be difficult keeping such a large city separate from the rest of the RP, since it'd probably draw heavy hitters like Paladin or Lightwards just as well as it'd draw new Epics passing through the city.

In that case, it sounds like we'd need to open one of the smaller towns that are relatively isolated from the main storyline--maybe make Connell, WA it's own thread or open up Cottage Grove.

Yeah, like Voidus said, all of the four main Connell Epics will be dead by the next post. The Destructors also wouldn't take well to any newcomers and just do as they please in the city for a few days before their last destruction and then they move on.

So this "tutorial" Gresham would be a bit of a prequel to Astoria or some thing different?

Fun fact: beginning random conversations with "I'm no weatherman" is a great way to confuse people. Example: "I'm no weatherman, but I found Mistborn to be a fresh and innovative approach to the fantasy genre." :P

That sounds reasonable. And it would explain why the rainy weather that the northwest is so well known for hasn't been very well-represented. (That, and the fact that the entire RP scarcely covers two or three days.)

What do you think of the idea of using "What Happened in Gresham" for a tutorial, Twi? The one problem I see with it is that it might be difficult keeping such a large city separate from the rest of the RP, since it'd probably draw heavy hitters like Paladin or Lightwards just as well as it'd draw new Epics passing through the city.

I'm no weatherman but I'm going to start sentences like that almost constantly now. :P

I'm no weatherman, but I think Costco pizza is absurdly delicious for the low price you pay. :P

It's hard to forget that sometimes. :mellow:

I like the idea. And I think we could excuse that by saying that the Epics present WERE powerful Epics looking for a place to rule or prove themselves.

But she can summon more Nutella to join her if people eat her. And she can do some really disturbing stuff by forming in people's stomachs.

It's still not a very good failsafe. Being eaten alive would be extremely painful, no matter if you could reverse it, and forming in someone's stomach would be just as excruciating because of the hydrochloric acid.

I'm still confused whether it's a prequel to Astoria or if it's something different.

I think it's just kind of a prequel in general, just a place for people to try out new Epics while worrying less about keeping a character in with politics. But not specifically for Astoria unless I'm missing something.

I'm no weatherman, but I think Costco pizza is absurdly delicious for the low price you pay. :P

It's hard to forget that sometimes. :mellow:

I like the idea. And I think we could excuse that by saying that the Epics present WERE powerful Epics looking for a place to rule or prove themselves.

It's still not a very good failsafe. Being eaten alive would be extremely painful, no matter if you could reverse it, and forming in someone's stomach would be just as excruciating because of the hydrochloric acid.

Almost everything in Costco is absurdly low-priced and delicious. I have never seen another place sell a can of coke for 80 cents each.  :)

Almost everything in Costco is absurdly low-priced and delicious. I have never seen another place sell a can of coke for 80 cents each.  :)

Really? $.80 US is about $1.05 Australian atm and there's plenty of places here that have $1 cans

I mean 80 cents Australian dollars. I also live in Australia, Voidus. In Australia (or at least in Melbourne), vending machines are trying to run a scam ($2.40 for a can!? Seriously!?) and restaurants aren't much better ($2 isn't cheap enough).

Wait, where do they sell $1 cans!? I must have some!

I'm still confused whether it's a prequel to Astoria or if it's something different.

I'm pretty sure it's its own thread, with no real connection to Astoria.

My understanding--which admittedly may be way off base--is that Gresham would be used as a place for newcomers to easily enter and begin rampaging without having to catch up on the politics and history of the other threads. Thus there would be no ruling Epic or government infrastructure, and little to no communication with the outside world.

What I'm a little foggy about is under what circumstances established players would be added in. If, for instance, I decided that Lightwards should go to Gresham to attend some sort of nefarious business, would that be permitted or would I be required to keep my characters out of the city? Would we put up an effort to keep key Oregonian characters out of the city, to preserve it as a simple tutorial region?

Geode: Terrakinetic abilities, capable of fracturing and manipulating stone. Also possesses Earth related projection capabilities. He can project his consciousness within a 1-mile radius where nearby dirt will form into an approximation of his body.

Severance: Force field Epic, capable of creating and manipulating force-fields, can be used either offensively or defensively. While he has an incredible degree of control over his force fields they’re also very limited in range, he cannot produce or manipulate a forcefield to exist more than 5 metres away from his body.

First Epics for WHIG

With the Gresham thread, I think it'd be good to keep established characters out as much as possible. However, I also think that it would be good to bring an established character to Gresham now and then to give new players a chance to see said character's personality and MO--though if that's what we wind up doing, it might be better to make the tutorial thread completely separate from Oregon continuity so we don't have to continually invent reasons for established characters to visit Gresham. Make it a Hunger Games-style arena, though without the sole survivor rule. What do you guys think?

Hm. Doesn't matter for me since I've never been and probably never will go to Australia. Although maybe someday. 

If you do, bring a fly-swatter. Scratch that, bring as many as you can. Flies in Australia have the strangest obsession of crawling into your orifices. 

The fly problem isn't so bad once you go into a city, though. And Australia is a fantastic place. So long as you ignore the insects.

If you do, bring a fly-swatter. Scratch that, bring as many as you can. Flies in Australia have the strangest obsession of crawling into your orifices. 

The fly problem isn't so bad once you go into a city, though. And Australia is a fantastic place. So long as you ignore the insects.

Central Australia flies are the worst, they come in swarms of hundreds and then all try to cram themselves into your nose/mouth/eye.

With the Gresham thread, I think it'd be good to keep established characters out as much as possible. However, I also think that it would be good to bring an established character to Gresham now and then to give new players a chance to see said character's personality and MO--though if that's what we wind up doing, it might be better to make the tutorial thread completely separate from Oregon continuity so we don't have to continually invent reasons for established characters to visit Gresham. Make it a Hunger Games-style arena, though without the sole survivor rule. What do you guys think?

I'm a fan of having it removed from continuity that way we can kill characters there and they can still appear elsewhere. Might be a better way of getting the character out of the city than just having Epics decide to move in and out all the time.

If the tutorial thread is to be held as non-canon, I feel it would be better to leave it out of Oregon. A Gresham thread that's out of WHIO continuity would rob the primary RP of a perfectly good setting, as having two different threads detailing the fate of Gresham would be confusing. There would be no reason to set the tutorial in Oregon if it's not going to contribute to the narrative and worldbuilding of our setting.

If we go with the Epic Hunger Games approach, I feel it would be better to keep it somewhere far away from Oregon, where the two continuities couldn't possibly be confused.

If the tutorial thread is to be held as non-canon, I feel it would be better to leave it out of Oregon. A Gresham thread that's out of WHIO continuity would rob the primary RP of a perfectly good setting, as having two different threads detailing the fate of Gresham would be confusing. There would be no reason to set the tutorial in Oregon if it's not going to contribute to the narrative and worldbuilding of our setting.

If we go with the Epic Hunger Games approach, I feel it would be better to keep it somewhere far away from Oregon, where the two continuities couldn't possibly be confused.

That's a great point, actually since we can use an out of Oregon city we can potentially have a much larger one too, like Washington or something (I know very little US geography)