Wheel Of Time On Tv

HurinThalion

IT'S THERE TONIGHT 1:30 AM ON FX CHANNEL AND IT IS CALLED WINTER DRAGON

edit after watching it:

I can't say bad things about anything related to WoT, no matter how stupid this TV show gets. It has good music. That is all I can say.

Edited by HurinThalion

I read Brandon's post on fb that he heard of this today, which doesn't do anything to reassure me or make me hopeful. May be the company just doesn't want to lose the rights to WoT, but will they actually do something? 

Unfortunately the article doesn't load, may be they have trouble with their site? Anyway, can I watch this pilot/trailer/whatever-it-is online or is it restricted to America only?

Argh, this doesn't bode well, if they just show this without advertising first I doubt it's gonna be much good. Never the less I'll need to watch it, if only so i can critic it legitimately later.

Unfortunately the article doesn't load, may be they have trouble with their site? Anyway, can I watch this pilot/trailer/whatever-it-is online or is it restricted to America only?

I am also wondering this, does someone know the answer?

I got my hands on a crappy recording of it, I'll take a look at it later today. The general consensus is that it's not the worst thing in the known universe, but it's definitely not good. Which we shouldn't expect from something that went from 0 to 100% in just a few weeks. My hopes are that Red Eagle, or Universal, or somebody else actually has something longer and more solid in the works, but they realized it wouldn't be ready before the TV show rights expired, so they decided to produce Winter Dragon quickly and get the extension they need.

I watched it.  It is essentially the prologue to tEotW.  The actor for Ishamael was decent.  Lews Therin was terrible.  It omits the scene where Lews Therin kills himself and forms Dragonmount.

Not the worst thing in the world, but very low production values.  The CGI for when Lews Therin kills his family is pretty lousy.  That is why they probably didn't want to try doing the Dragonmount scene.  

I checked FXX (the channel it aired on) and there is nothing upcoming in the series.  

I highly suggest watching it as a "so bad it's good movie". Go in knowing it's awful (it is) and expecting bad design (burn me, that channeling is hilarious), and just lay back and laugh at it. You can find a decent recording on youtube. (In other news, please watch the advertisements as well as they are equally awful and hilarious)

Fun fact, by the way - Harriet didn't know about this either. And she is not happy about it. There may be legal action happening sometime in the near future...

For reference here is her statement on the matter:

Statement from Harriet

This morning  brought startling news. A “pilot” for a Wheel of Time series, the "pilot"  being called Winter Dragon, had appeared at 1:30 in the morning, East Coast time, on Fxx TV, a channel somewhere in the 700s (founded to concentrate on comedy, according to the Washington Post).

It was made without my knowledge or cooperation. I never saw the script. No one associated with Bandersnatch Group, the successor-in-interest to James O. Rigney,  was aware of this.

Bandersnatch has an existing contract with Universal Pictures that grants television rights to them until this Wednesday, February 11 – at which point these rights revert to Bandersnatch.

I see no mention of Universal in the “pilot”. Nor, I repeat, was Bandersnatch, or Robert Jordan’s estate, informed of this in any way.

I am dumbfounded by this occurrence, and am taking steps to prevent its reoccurrence. 

Harriet P McDougal

President and CEO

Bandersnatch Group, Inc.

February 9, 2015

(source)

I have to admit, I went in expecting the worst and I found it to be just bad. Then I saw the "lightning" that I think was meant to be channeling, and things went generally downhill...

I have no clue about the laws and regulations on these things, but I really hope that whatever they were hoping to accomplish by airing this thing gets rejected.

I'm personally hoping Hariet will go crazy Nyneve on them and convene the women's circle hahaha. I mean it could, somehow, have been worse, what bothers me is the motives for making it. If it really is a shady attempt to get past a clause, I'll be mad.

So io9 has an article up with some of the comments from Red Eagle concerning the project, and the Wertzone has a post explaining some of the history of Red Eagle.

For those of you who, like me, would like to expunge the memory of Winter Dragon from your mind allow me to present this fan film:

It may be cheesy, but by comparison it is so much better.  (And from a cursory search it looks like Wheel of 9, who made it are in post-production for a second fan-film!)

Reading the articles linked by WeiryWriter I had a thought, I don't know if it's good or bad:

What if it was planned? Like someone said "there is no such thing as bad publicity" and you can't deny that the news of this orrible pilot has gone viral, so if they now came out with a good series lots of people would try to watch it.

They would still be terrible people for exploiting their contracts this way, but hten they would get money and we a good series.

Reading the articles linked by WeiryWriter I had a thought, I don't know if it's good or bad:

What if it was planned? Like someone said "there is no such thing as bad publicity" and you can't deny that the news of this orrible pilot has gone viral, so if they now came out with a good series lots of people would try to watch it.

They would still be terrible people for exploiting their contracts this way, but hten they would get money and we a good series.

If that was their motive then I'd be pretty happy, unfortunately I also don't think that's possible. I don't think they could make a good series if they held the source material in such contempt that they were willing to produce such a bad rendition of it just to make the money for a better series.

tumblr_mbp25xOGoC1rxbudd.jpg

...Bleh, I can't leave it there. I write thousand word analysis on ponies, I can muster more than that!

So... I'm not a huge fan of the Wheel of Time. I bought a copy of The Shadow Rising a while ago, but never actually got around to reading it yet, so I'm judging this less on information from the books, and more on what was on screen.

And what was on screen was... eh. Not very good, just from a stand alone stand point. There was no focus character for the pilot. The prologue kind-of focuses on Ishamael, whereas the pilot is more focused on Lews... but it's not focused enough on him, so the piece just becomes a double-act. It kind of undermines how horrific the sequence is a bit.

The pacing was all kinds of off too; there weren't any kind of "points" where you could cut to commercial, but they did it anyway. The opening and ending narration felt clunky and out of place; if you need to have a narrator pop up and tell you things in voice over, then you need to have a good reason for it... which this one didn't.

Also... that guy called his kid Lews Junior? Really?

Please tell me that was an adlibbed line, otherwise I'm going to start using that as a joke for all fantasy heroes. Like Aragorn Jr, and Richard Jr. 

i pictured ishmael as a much darker character. this guy was too...bubbly?  I dunno, it was filth. I would rather watch Zardoz with Sean Connery in a diaper.

...Okay, and some positive? This.

Not the Sean Connery part (which... sounds surreal enough that I might check it out). But Ishy's bubbly-ness.

I agree; the prologue made him sound like a much darker character than he was portrayed.

But... wierdly enough, that guy fits in pretty well with how I imagine Hoid. Yes, he was deliberately invoking Randland-Devil, but his demeanor, his attire and his affect seemed more much like a trickster than a champion of darkness. Give the guy a decent script, and I think he could pull off a character like Hoid.

Similarly, I thought Lews suit actually looked a little like something I'd expect Breeze to wear.