Obliteration Dropped the Ball

Patrick Star

So, I was thinking about this the other day, and realized that Prof didn't need to go full epic, and that it would have been really easy to prevent it.

So, we know that Obliteration was trying to kill David (again), but was then told about how he could overcome his weakness.  At this point, he teleported David to Regalia and then left.  David then walked into Regalia's room, and killed her AFTER she exploded the bomb.

Here's the thing: this didn't need to happen.  Now, I know that David likely couldn't have killed her in time to stop her from pressing the button, but somebody else could have: Obliteration.

If Obliteration had just sucked all of the heat out of Regalia, he would have killed her instantly.  She wouldn't have pressed the button, and Prof wouldn't have gone evil.  He didn't even have to do that.  He could have just teleported into the room and extracted Prof and the other reckoners, or at least have done SOMETHING.  But he just left.  30 seconds of his time could have prevented the major catastrophe that followed.

Obliteration dropped the ball.

Yeah? It´s not like Obliteration cared. Without his help she couldn´t have build the bomb in the first place. So it´s less that he dropped the ball as it is that he deliberately passed it to Regalia.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.  I understand his role in making the bomb.  What I'm saying is that David convinces him that what he's doing with Regalia is wrong, at which point he drops David off in the safe house and runs off to overcome his fear.  If he had casually gone up to Regalia and killed her (she wouldn't have known, at that point), Regalia wouldn't have exploded the bomb.  That's what I'm saying.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.  I understand his role in making the bomb.  What I'm saying is that David convinces him that what he's doing with Regalia is wrong, at which point he drops David off in the safe house and runs off to overcome his fear.  If he had casually gone up to Regalia and killed her (she wouldn't have known, at that point), Regalia wouldn't have exploded the bomb.  That's what I'm saying.

David didn´t convince Obliteration of anything, at least not morally. He tricked him into teleporting him, by shooting a gun at Obliteration while they touch each other, and just brought something on his mind concerning his nightmares that he cares more about than his work with Regalia. As far as we know Obliteration still wants to bring forth the apocalypse.

Edited by Edgedancer

Maybe I read the end of Firefight wrong, but I got the vibe that Obliteration realized that he was wrong about his... convictions and went off to overcome his fear and get rid of Calamity's influence.  If this is the case, he's definitely redeemable (and a better person than the other epics who simply succumbed to the EE).

My reading of that scene was that Oblit thought he was in mortal peril from the time David hitched a ride, and he fled. David called out to him as he was leaving and Oblit took David seriously.

I *really* need to reread that scene though.

I could have sworn that Oblit thanked David for telling him how to fight it.  That doesn't seem like peril.  Maybe some sort of excitement?

Bottom line is that either way Oblit was himself already full Epic and has been for years, so it's not like he would give a crap either way. He wasn't "cured" yet. He may be about to do so, but until he does he would've still been a self-centered megalomaniac and would've prioritized the actual curing, leaving the city to be sent to kingdom come.

Edited by natc

I could have sworn that Oblit thanked David for telling him how to fight it.  That doesn't seem like peril.  Maybe some sort of excitement?

He teleported them before David told him about weaknesses and he didn't tell him anything about the corruption even afterwards. All he learned is that fear is related to weaknesses and that Epics have nightmares, then he thanked David for the secret and sent his regards to Regalia. So he has no idea that defeating weeaknesses defeats the corruption, I'm pretty sure he just wanted to get rid of his weakness.

• Chaos locked this topic