to ignite an endless flame.

Death is a mountain

We conquer with Science.

You don't have to like us,

We're different and strange.

Science is a misunderstood art,

That we craft for The Future.

Would you like a Cookie?

I know Lindel was parodying "Still Alive", which the main villain of Portal sang during the end credits. May I ask what your poem was referencing, Fatebreaker? Or is it original work?

Well, confusion is my specialty. ;)

Not tenseness though, so everyone relax. I'm about as unoffendable as they come.

Being the uncultured fellow I am, and by that I mean I have yet to play portal, I thought Lindel had created his clever creation there from scratch, so I whipped up my own, what with having some spare time in the SpikeLab. Knowing Lindel's is a parody makes it better though, so bravo once again sirrah.

Well, confusion is my specialty. ;)

Not tenseness though, so everyone relax. I'm about as unoffendable as they come.

Being the uncultured fellow I am, and by that I mean I have yet to play portal, I thought Lindel had created his clever creation there from scratch, so I whipped up my own, what with having some spare time in the SpikeLab. Knowing Lindel's is a parody makes it better though, so bravo once again sirrah.

Thanks for the explanation, Fatebreaker! I would congratulate you for that unique bit of free verse, if not for my single-minded hatred for the despicable, inhuman Art that you dared defend in front of me. No offense meant, of course.

Ah, but where are my manners! Please, have a seat! Wait, one of the buttons here on my desk should pop a chair from under the floor.

*presses a button*

Whoops! It appears that I accidentally pressed the button that Elsecalls the person in front of me to some random location outside of the Society building. Tsk, tsk. So clumsy of me.

Sorry about that, but I needed to maintain my character's reputation. And yes, Portal is pretty cool, but I first heard of Still Alive from its songwriter, Jonathan Coulton, who's known for his awesomely geeky songs.

Edit: Members! Please check the poll I created so that we may finally vote on our probationary members' membership status. It is a public poll, and only the votes of existing members will be counted. You may also defend your vote here, if you wish.

Have a nice day.

Edited by skaa

The Dark Alley:

We do what we must
because we can
For the good of all of us.
Except the ones who are dead.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake.
You just keep on trying till you run out of spikes.
The Hemalurgy gets done, and you make a Metalborn
For the people who are Still Alive. 

Expanded: 

You are a triumph.

We’re making a note here:

HUGE SUCCESS.

It's hard to overstate our satisfaction.

Oh the Dark Alley.

We do what we must because we can.

For the good of all of us

Except the ones who are dead.

But there's no sense crying over your brother Mike.

You just keep on trying till you run out of spikes.

Hemalurgy gets done and you make a Metalborn.

Of the people who are still alive.

You shouldn’t be angry.

It only effected a couple men.

And, of course, we broke their Webs and killed them.

And tore Webs to pieces.

And put every piece into a spike.

And as we put them in, it hurt because

You are becoming so great!

Now these points of data make a beautiful line.

And we're in Alley Beta, we’re releasing you on time.

So be GLaD you got spiked

Think of how much you’ll be liked

By the people who are still alive.

Go ahead and leave us.

We really prefer to stay in here.

Jump away and find someone to help you.

Maybe Preservation...

THAT WAS A JOKE. Haha. FAT CHANCE.

Anyway, this cookie’s great.

It's so chocolaty and soft.

Look at us still talking when there's Science to do.

When we look out there it makes us so GLaD for you.

We've experiments to run, there is research to be done

On the people who are still alive

And believe me we are still alive.

We’re doing science and we’re still alive.

We’re stocking spikes and we are still alive.

We’ll get test subjects while we’re still alive.

And when there’s no more we’ll be still alive.

Still alive

Still alive

Five members voted in favor of Screwloose, with no votes against, two abstentions, and one favorable but foreign vote that was ignored (Sorry, Ms. Steelheart!). I therefore induct our brother Screwloose into the Society.

*hands Screwloose the armaments of membership*

Congratulations! Use these wisely in the defense of our cause.

As for Snoopy, four members voted for him, with one vote against, two abstentions, and one ignored. I prefer that all members treat each other in harmony, and so I will allow one day of discussion on this issue before I remove Snoopy's probationary status and replace it with... something. *evil grin*

Ehem. Meanwhile, I'll be in my room drafting a theory.

Have a nice day.

Edited by skaa

Haha, but you are always handing them out to new people, actions for which I simply cannot give my approval!! Nothing personal m'dear, I like you, I just don't approve of your methods! That being said, majority usually rules and I won't mind being outvoted.

I applaud Shlee's principled stance. I believe many of us here rightfully detest the trickery of the spiked DA denizens. And yet I believe some of them, like Brother Snoopy here, might not be incompatible with our cause. As I shall soon demonstrate.

Snoopy, there was a time before you succumbed to being a Hemalurgic beagle when you were something else: A panda, and a rather inexorable one at that. The panda is a symbol of peace and diplomacy, for while sharing the same general characteristics as the other members of Ursidea like the grizzly bear (a godless killing machine filled with the souls of its victims), the panda stands alone as being almost herbivorous and docile.

This, my brothers and sisters, is what we want Invested people to become. We tire of their bullying, of their murderous tricks, and their haughty pride! We want them to stop being grizzlies! Rather, we want them to be content to live in peace and harmony with their Investiture-challenged neighbors. I am talking about Yin and Yang, black and white balanced and living as one, like the black and white of a panda.

And so, as we are about to accept you, Snoopy, into the Society, I offer you the position of Chief Panda, along with this aluminum panda-shaped armor painted in black and white, which henceforth you are to wear at all times while in Society premises.

Do you accept this position and this requirement?

Edited by skaa

A... Snoopy Nazgul Panda. Oh! I thought you got that name from the Peanuts character. So by "snoopy" you mean "given to snooping"? Hmmm... Interesting.

Alright! Let us all welcome the new Society mascot: Snoopy!

Well, yes. Sort of. I also like the Peanuts character. You can consider the name to be a character description of my personality (similar to the Peanuts character, not me being given to snooping).

I was going to be Hobbes (because I like him even better than Snoopy), but some inactive dude already took the name

That aside, thanks for the welcome!

So guys, what are your favorite theories or theory threads related to Investiture technology? I may have missed some cool stuff in the past, so please share them. Who knows, maybe some long-forgotten thought or idea would end up inspiring some of us in our own theorycrafting.

Edited by skaa

Personally, I've always been partial to Chaos's mist fabrial theory. There hasn't been any new info to disprove this, has there? Your harmonium theory's also quite interesting, though I'd like to know more. 

Apologies if any of my questions were already answered in the thread. Does your harmonium access identical powers to those associated with Allomancers? If so, how exactly is it targeted? Say, if I touch a bar of harmonium against some steel or zinc. How does the metal decide what's getting pushed, or what emotions are getting Rioted? What if I try to activate duralumin, or nicrosil? What about Atium, malatium, gold, and electrum? 

Apologies if any of my questions were already answered in the thread. Does your harmonium access identical powers to those associated with Allomancers? If so, how exactly is it targeted? Say, if I touch a bar of harmonium against some steel or zinc. How does the metal decide what's getting pushed, or what emotions are getting Rioted? What if I try to activate duralumin, or nicrosil? What about Atium, malatium, gold, and electrum? 

I'd prefer to see more evidence (hopefully in Shadows of Self) that my harmonium theory is even close to the truth before I develop it further. I'll post a thread in the Mistborn forum once I have an answer to your questions. I might also post preliminary thoughts on these things in my Coppermind user page. I'll PM you a link later if you're interested.

Members! When you find a theory that you like and that can be useful in Investiture technology, please link to it here and inform the rest of us. It doesn't have to be the OP of a thread in one of the designated theory forums. If someone thinks up of a novel use for fabrials in the RPG forum (which I rarely visit), share it here. If you found Cosmeric engineering genius in an off-topic comment inexplicably made in a discussion about the many virtues of Twilight Sparkle, share it here (the Cosmeric comment, not the virtues of Twilight Sparkle... though her voice actress is pretty hot  :P).

Got it? Good. Lindel already mentioned Chaos' mist fabrial theory. I suggest you read the discussion in that thread. It's pretty interesting. Here are my own theory posts related to Investiture technology:

As you can see, most of the Investiture technology posts shared so far have to do with metal (well, I am Scadrian, after all...). If you found something that's different in that regard, well and good. It doesn't matter what the theory is or where you found it. What matters is that you like it, and that you share it with your brothers and sisters in scholarship here.

That is all. Good day.

Edit: Of course, it goes without saying that you may share your own theories.  :)

Edited by skaa

Storm it. I had this whole post typed up about my thoughts on harmonium as an Allomantic catalyst and the importance of metals in the Cosmere as a whole, but I accidentally reloaded the page and lost the whole thing.  :(