The Root Beer Bar

Kipper

Brightness turned to cheese. "Please tell me, Cheese, why in the name of the colors I would want to do that?" she asked dryly. "Do you know what that would do to Shadesmar? No, I don't want to swap oceans, I-" she hesitated, suddenly feeling a sense of apprehension. Is this really the best idea? she wondered. I mean, there's no reason he'll agree. "I..." she started again, mouth feeling dry.

"I want to run a business out of the Root Beer Bar!" she blurted. "I could design and sell coats of arms, you could provide root beer! I mean, it's so cozy in here and I don't really want to have to set up my own place, plus this way we could advertise for each other and..." she was rambling. Stormfather, she was rambling even as she asked permission to for her shop. Perfect, she thought sarcastically, Absolutely perfect.

Snoopy stared at Brightness impassively for a minute or two, thinking.

"It...could be done," he finally said, "and I like your initiative. This could be an excellent way for both of us to catch the eyes of the other guilds."

He leaned forward, the two front legs of his chair hitting the ground.

"However, I do have some questions before we start this up. What is your policy on who you serve? Would you, for example make the Dark Alley a coat of arms? It really doesn't matter to me either way, but you should mention these things up front, to avoid conflicts later." Snoopy rubbed his temples. "Oh, and advertising. Storms, but I hate advertising. I'll do my part for you (in my sig) since you're a member of the Bar. I suggest that you post an advertisement yourself (in the form of a new thread) once we get things set up." Snoopy drank deeply and slammed his mug down, wincing as he smashed his pinky finger. He shoved the mug down the table into the cleaning slot.

"What do you think? Sound good? If so, we could go check out a possible brewery for you to use."

Edited by Snoopy

She could see him thinking about it. He stared at her, expressionlessly, and she could see him thinking about it. Storms, she thought, how long is this going to take? Nearly a minute later, he finally spoke, and her breath caught in her throat. 

"It...could be done." 

She nearly sighed in relief, but managed to stop herself. Wait, she thought, is he still talking? ​He was saying something policies, and- the Dark Alley? She was nearly too relieved to care. Focus, focus. she told herself. What was he grumbling about now?

"Oh, and advertising. Storms, but I hate advertising. I'll do my part for you since you're a member of the Bar." Yes, yes yes! she thought. This could actually work! Within a day or two, I could be making coats of arms for guilds, and- 

He was still talking.

Stopping tuning him out, you halfwit! she berated herself, just listen! "-that you post an advertisement yourself once we get things set up." He took a long drink from his mug, then slammed it down onto the table with a loud bang. She squeaked in surprise- sitting next to the mug had apparently not been the best choice- but he didn't seem to notice. "What do you think?" he asked, "Sound good? If so, we could go check out your room."

She blinked in surprise for a moment, then gathered her wits and replied. "Oh, yes! Of course! That sounds fantastic, Snoopy. I-"  why was her voice so squeaky? "That sounds great." she said in a slightly calmer voice.

How insulting.

Snoopy smiled, already making plans for the brewery. "Fantastic," he chuckled warmly, "Why don't we go to the spare brewery and check?"

They proceeded to the brewery, chatting along the way.

"I think the décor will be perfect for you," Snoopy assured the Brightness, "It's got kind of the faux industrial feel, with beams and metal studs taking the place of a closed ceiling."

I suppose I'm just an insulting person. :D

"What?!" Brightness asked, "No, no, nooooooo. If you think I'm going to run my business out of a warehouse, you are sadly mistaken, my friend." She pulled him to a halt, pointing to the ceiling.  "Look at this. Look at it, Snoopy. The lighting is terrible! It's brighter during a highstorm! You expect me to make these crests in the dark?! No, there are going to be be new lights in here."

Looking around the room, she pointed to the wall, then the floor. "Cold bare walls? No carpet? Do you know anything about art? I can't make a masterpiece in here. I just wouldn't feel comfortable enough. No, what this room needs is a little color."

"Wait!" Brightness called after him, "You can't leave! I need you to forge this room so that it was decorated tastefully!"

That drove him out quicker. After he was gone, she snickered to herself, glancing around the room. "Good. Now that he's gone, I can focus on getting some real work done."

EDIT: This scene is being redone, apparently.

Edited by Brightness Random

:P

"Wait, really?" Snoopy stopped and turned back. "Now that you mention it, I would love to help." He walked over to one of the walls and pushed a portion of it in. A panel, with a leatherbound case on top of it, flipped out of the wall. Snoopy opened the case reverently and touched one of the Soulstamps inside. "It just so happens that I made Soulstamps--really, Essence Marks--for every brewery in the Bar system. They are mostly completed. All you need to do is tell me exactly what shade of color you want and the age. I can modify these quickly enough." He pulled a smaller case out of his pocket with tiny carving tools inside.

That was really unexpected, she thought to herself. She would have assumed the panda would be insulted at the veiled slur at his interior decorating skills, but apparently he too knew that the room needed quite a bit of work for it to become a proper workshop for her. That or he wanted an excuse to do some forgery, she thought to herself with a half smile.

"Oh, really?" she asked him, still slightly suspicious, "Alright then, I suppose the first thing we need is better lights. Really bright lights. Like, really bright, and all over the place. Secondly, I would like the walls painted apple green. Think you can handle that, master forger, sir?"

I don't know why I keep insulting you, but I'll apologize anyway. Sorry for repeatedly insulting you, Root Beer guru.  :P 

"Well I can't just make 'really bright lights all over the place' with Forgery," Snoopy said, already making some adjustments to one of the Stamps. Tiny wood chips fell on the ground. "You'll have to go on a shopping trip for those." He turned and dropped the Soulstamp onto the floor. Snoopy knelt while the Stamp settled in and gave it a gentle twist. Apple green color washed over the walls.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I will be taking an indefinite hiatus from 17th Shard. I will be trying my level best to keep up with PMs. So if anyone needs to talk to me, that's the place to get in touch. Sorry to desert you all; it was a surprise to me. :angry:  Life. It happens.

Best luck with with your adventures in real life, Snoopy! Hope you make it back someday soon!  :) 

Brightness stood, staring at the door, blinking in confusion. What? she thought. Snoopy had just up and left, claiming he had an important task to be about. She was still sitting on a barrel of root beer, admiring the wall's new color.

After a minute, it hit her. The Root Beer Bar. If the head brewer was leaving indefinitely, who who run the Root Beer Bar?

"What now?" she asked the empty room, "I mean, I think we have like ten members in this guild, but I've never really met any of them. I thought the Root Beer Bar was set to take off, but without our founder, all the members will really need to step our game to keep this place from shutting down."

Bloorp

A portal formed in the air next to Brightness Random, from which Screwloose emerged before glancing around the room and grinning.

"It worked! Now I don't need to blow up half the forest every time I take a trip. Now if only I could get it to send me where I want rather than emerging at locations of plot convenience." He glance at Brightness Random. "Would that have something to do with you by any chance?"

I couldn't resist. Also I may need better portal noises.

Thank you plot convenience portals! I was half afraid this guild would be abandoned. :P

Brightness looked at Screwloose in surprise for a moment before shaking it off. She was getting used to things like this happening. "Plot convenience? Yes, I would say so. You see, it's seems that Snoopy, the founder of the Root Beer Bar, is off gallivanting somewhere. I'm afraid that the Bar with have to be closed down, as Snoopy really was the center of everything happening around here."

She sighed, standing up off her barrel of root beer. "The Bar's a great place, but I don't know that anyone's going to visit."  After waiting the dramatically appropriate amount of time, she looked back up at the newcomer. "By the way, who are you?"

"Ah, my apologies. I'm Screwloose" Screwloose extended a hand after checking it wasn't too covered in oil. "A pleasure to meet you, i'm sure. It would certainly be inconvenient if this place were to shut down, I though i'd finally found a decent place to relax. You would not believe how dull that cave can get at times."

"Cave?" Brightness asked, tilting her head inquisitively, "Oh, sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself. It's nice to meet you, Screwloose," she said, extending her hand to shake his. "I'm Brightness Random. I'm the- well, I was the Bard of the Root Beer Bar. I'm not sure if that means anything now, with the Bar in danger of closing, but I specialize in writing root beer poetry."

She glanced over towards the main room. "Even if this place is rather empty, it hasn't been shut down quite yet. Care to head out to the main bar and tell me about this cave of yours over a mug or two of carbonated goodness?"