Game of Thrones

Quiver

Not enjoying Season 5 at all. 4 episodes of nothing. Too popular for it's own good imho.

I've not watched the leaked episodes, but I can't imagine any season that gives us Varys/Tyrion and Bronn/Jaime scenes can possibly be bad.  that said, based on last night's episode, I have no idea what they are doing with littlefinger

Season 5, I'll admit, has gotten off to a slow start, but I'm not surprised. There is a lot changing between seasons 4 and 5, so there is bound to be a few slow episodes while they set everything up. It'll pick up again once events get moving.

Slow start is nothing new in Game of Thrones. I myself am happy with it - it's quickly departing from the books, which means I'll be able to watch it and remain relatively free of spoilers for Winds of Winter, because with so many changes I wouldn't know what's canon and what's not. 

As this point I am most curious about Sansa's story. She is departing the most, and so I know the least about her - plus she is going places I don't want her to go. Brienne getting rejected by both her and Arya was gut-wrenching and also a little funny. Podrick is still pure gold. Jaime and Bronn, I want to magically get a spinoff series about them traveling around Westeros. Cersei... I don't understand why people enjoy or like her. Her story is just not interesting to me. I know where the books take her, and I am interested in seeing that, but her plot is just meh overall. Maybe it's all the politics...

It's not just slow, it's...

Season 4 finale: Tyrion is sent to free cities most likely to meet/interact with Daenarys.

Season 5 is here, after 4 episodes he's still nowhere close to her. OK, well she's far far away. We get it. Lets enjoy this... journey! What did we get out of it so far? Tyrion started restraining himself from you know what AND he has been kidnapped. That's it. Fun fact: Tyrion not having sex with professionals anymore is a bigger thing than him being kidnapped because he is STILL going where he was going before being kidnapped and only purpose for that kidnapping was to stretch this whole journey for a little more and then when they at last arrive where they're going Tyrion will get some additional problems because of it... Basically something I personally was promised in previous season, I will be getting in NEXT season.
And it's not like he didn't get enough screen time to have anything interesting happen in his storyline. It's just taking several seasons for anything to happen.

And this isn't true only for Tyrion.

Has it been this slow before? 

Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan and I'm not a hater but no other TV Show would be able to pull off such a bad start and there's nothing good about it being slow. I don't care about books, I don't like Martin's writing style and I just couldn't read it but I like TV Show and I'm down for changes. But being slow was one of the most annoying parts for me when I was trying to get into the books and now it's becoming a norm for TV Show as well so yeah... I'm a bit displeased :P

Edited by Cracknut

Slow start is nothing new in Game of Thrones. I myself am happy with it - it's quickly departing from the books, which means I'll be able to watch it and remain relatively free of spoilers for Winds of Winter, because with so many changes I wouldn't know what's canon and what's not. 

As this point I am most curious about Sansa's story. She is departing the most, and so I know the least about her - plus she is going places I don't want her to go. Brienne getting rejected by both her and Arya was gut-wrenching and also a little funny. Podrick is still pure gold. Jaime and Bronn, I want to magically get a spinoff series about them traveling around Westeros. Cersei... I don't understand why people enjoy or like her. Her story is just not interesting to me. I know where the books take her, and I am interested in seeing that, but her plot is just meh overall. Maybe it's all the politics...

I like Cersei's bits in the books, but mostly because we can see inside her head, and watch her mental state during her whole plot.  I think that is very very interesting.  I doubt they can quite match it in the show, but if anyone is up to the task, its Lena Headey.

As for miraculous spinoffs: Jaime and Bronn would be a good one, but the best one I have seen suggested is Arya and the Hound.  just those two wandering around westeros, occasionally killing people.  it would be great.  Tywin and Olenna is another one that would be pretty wonderful as well.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan and I'm not a hater but no other TV Show would be able to pull off such a bad start and there's nothing good about it being slow. I don't care about books, I don't like Martin's writing style and I just couldn't read it but I like TV Show and I'm down for changes. But being slow was one of the most annoying parts for me when I was trying to get into the books and now it's becoming a norm for TV Show as well so yeah... I'm a bit displeased :P

The alternative is, frankly, to not have any Tyrion scenes for at least half the season. There are things that need to happen with Dany, and Tyrion can't be there, not yet. There are no good solutions here.

I haven't seen the new season yet- I was planning on getting caught up on the show, but I might just skip ahead to this season and fill in the blanks later, but...

I have to admit, I like Peter Dinklage. He's a good actor, and his lines are fun. But... I'm a little concerned, particularly after what Cracknut said, so if someone could answer this, please, do.

It sounds as if the show writers have decided to make Tyrion a more heroic character. I admit, I like him in the books but, like a lot of people... he isn't a nice man. He's described as being Tywin's son for a reason, and even though we see his story from his PoV... a lot of the stuff he does is, from an objectionable standpoint, pretty bad. It sounds like the showrunners are trying to clean him up a little, and make him a more sympathetic and obviously "good" character...

But I've also heard stuff about Jaime, namely a scene last season, which seems to have paintined him in a worse light. I admit, I didn't like Tyrions chapters in Dance of Dragon, but I kind of feel like... there was a point to them which is being lost if the writers are lightneing Tyrion and Darkening Jaime. The fact that the man who threw Bran out the window was becoming sympathetic- possibly even a heroic figure- while the one who gave him hope of riding again was becoming cruel and torturing "profesionals"...it was an unexpected twist in the two, and their journeys were cool mirrors of each other. I'm worried that might be lost a little in translation.

Also: Greyjoys. Is Euron here yet?

No Greyjoys. Which is, in my opinion, a cut even sadder than Strong Belwas.

As for Jaime and Tyrion... I don't know, I wouldn't say Jaime is being darkened by the show. Tyrion definitely looks better on screen than on page, and I am talking about his nose here. Jaime though, he was pretty consistent with the book literary up until this last episode (S05E02). You don't get the same feel for his journey to almost-heroism in the show, but it's difficult to pull off without hundreds of pages at your disposal. I wouldn't be concerned.

My take on Tyrion is that he's a bit selfish, but largely a decent person.  I can think of very few times in the books where he does something just completely bad.  He is clever, like his father, but tends to use it towards decent ends.  the only probelm with him is that he ends up opposing the Starks, who we tend to view as the heroes of the story, but even there his motives are generally good, it's his family that is bad.

as to show jaime, they mishandled the one scene horribly, but honestly it isn't a great scene for him to begin with.  that said, from everythign I have seen (only the first 2 so far, didn't watch the leaked), they are keeping his character arc (different story, though a promising one, but same basic character growth) more or less the same.

• 1 month later...

My Facebook timeline has been a sadistic delight all morning. This finale wasn't as bad as the Red Wedding (judging from the Internet's reactions), but I suppose there are only so many times you can kill a fan favorite before even the show watchers (them being exposed to a few number of deaths and gore in general) realize that nobody is safe. 

Myrcella though. Man. I was seriously bummed out, she had such a beautiful scene with Jaime, I knew she was doomed. This is what this show has done to me - whenever I see a beautiful scene, I hold my breath and wait for something to break it. I don't often have to wait long. 

My biggest problem with the Dorne story line is that we didn't get an equivalent scene to Arianne's final chapter from Feast.  though I still can't hate it.  anything that gives us Bronn singing "The Dornishman's Wife" is OK by me

Nah that was to big a story point to do on anything other then this finale. Plus this is HBO and they love doing this stuff to GoT non reader fans. I suspected it would be the last thing to be shown.

I think the made quite a few mistakes on every arc in that episode barring one which I thought was perfect.

Can there be a season 7 with what is currently written or are they just going to go completely off book after next season? I am trying to think of everything left and it only seems like one more season to me with how they have done the show so far. Actually I really thought they would wait for what happened in the last scene for next year. I admit it has been so long since I read the books I am starting to have a hard time remembering what actually happened in the books and what the show has taken liberties on.  I almost feel like this is an excuse for Martin to not finish the books. Let HBO finish it with his input.... 

We know GRRM gave HBO green light to finish the show before him if necessary. Given how long Winds of Winter has taken is taking, I think this is inevitable. It is possible that season 6 will play with characters we thought would be missing completely (e.g. the Greyjoys), but I doubt they can fill an entire season with those, which means they will have to pull at least some of the content from Winds of Winter. Which suggests that season 7 will either deal with the rest of book 6 and a little of 7, or jump into 7 big time.