Game of Thrones

Quiver

So, in case you guys haven't heard, the season five trailer of Game of Thrones was released.That's not what this thread is about.

No, what this is about is asking other readers of the books: are you going to watch season five?

The show has, more or less, caught up to the books at this point. While there are still some plots it needs to get to- mostly finishing the Feast for Crows/Dance of Dragons split- season four started introducing certain elements which weren't revealed in the novels, and would certainly seem to be spoilers for the future. If season five doesn't include more of those, then season six most certainly will.

So... are fellow book readers going to give up on the show, and wait for Winds of Winter? 

Personally... I never watch the show. I started in season one, got half way through it, then decided to read the source material first. I tend to dive in and out of the series when it reaches storylines or events I enjoyed in the novels and want to see on screen, like Blackwater or Theon in general.

Now though... I'm conflicted. I feel like I'm going to have to start watching the show, if only to avoid the spoilers that will, invariably, seep in through pop culture osmosis. 

But... I wanted to read the books. I find the books to be better in many respects to the show (or at l;east, what I've seen and heard about the show), and I don't want my future reading of the world to be "ruined" by knowing what happens. At least part of the appeal of the novels is the unpredictability of what is going to happen, at least the first time through them.

What about you guys? Does anyone here plan on boycotting the show, or have you resigned yourselves to just getting the bare bones of the story, and enjoying the meat that Martin will surround it with in his novels when they are released?

You're right that the books are better than the series, a thousand times better according to me. Though I don't know if I will boycott season five. But depending on when he will get out WoW I may or may not watch season six (for then the TV-series would undoubtedly spoil large parts of the books, because David Benioff and D. B. Weiss pretty much knows how to end). I only watch the series to see some of my favourite characters come to screen, however disgracing of the books they've been. 

I'm going to watch it. I can read a book knowing how it all ends and it doesn't really bother me. I get the same amount of enjoyment out of it as I would have by reading it without knowing anything.

I feel like I am in the minority because I like the tv show as much as i like the books, well at least the first 3 books, 4 and 5 sorta fell flat with me. So I enjoyed the tv show more than those books.

S5 will be the last mostly safe season for bk readers unless by some miracle Martin gets 6 out before March or April of next yr. I personally plan to ditch the show because I want to read first. It inevitable that the show will get ahead. The crappy thing for readers is in today's world those that quit will still get spoiled and there's just no way around that anymore. Remember bk 6 of Harry Potter? It's gonna be even worse with todays Net. Impossible to stay spoiler free.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll watch it without any problem. I'm tired of waiting for WoW, and I'm not even waiting for that long, I read the books 2 year ago or something like that. Martin takes to long to write WoW, and I'm not going to wait for him to finish to have fun in his world.

I don't really think the show will "catch up" and pass the books all the much. I mean, there's still a lot of middle ground to cover, even with the few character arc cuts that we know of already.

But there's still quite a bit to resolve from Season 4, that ties up the ending of Book 3. And with Books 4 and 5 happening at the same time, there is a lot more material to cover between there and now than it seems.

Season 5 will have to introduce the entire new Dorne cast, with the Sand Snakes and Prince Doran, resolve everything at The Wall and get it ready to go into that next arc (Book 5). Arya has to reach her destination and begin with all of that, and Sansa in the Vale. Bran will not be in this season, because they've already sped up his arc and he's where he needs to be for now. Now they just have to catch everything else up to the points they need to be.

I think we've got a little bit more time before we have to worry just yet about the show surpassing the books. Now, as for possible Spoilerific content and key scenes? Very possible. (Land of Wight Walkers, anybody?) ((Or proving/disproving theories by skipping or including things that were vague or important in the books))

I'll be watching. And I'll be waiting to read. :D

As someone who has read the books multiple times and has plenty of espoused theories, I still love the show. It's obvious that the show is starting to do things differently than the books because, well, it can and it should. Things happen in books 4 and 5 that it appears the show will not include. (For spoiler reasons to those who haven't read that far yet, I won't even allude to what these things are.) Whether this says anything about how important they actually are in the books or if the showrunners want to go their own direction, is still up in the air. 

Nonetheless, I enjoy both and now that the show has caught up to the books, I'm allowing myself to view both as similar but distinct works. This is because I think HBO will continue with the show, even if GRRM doesn't release WoW next year. They can't afford to stop the show for Martin to catch up because even if he releases the next book, it'll be another decade before we get the 7th book. With the amount of revenue they make from the show, it'd be stupid for them to stop and wait.

The question is, how do they proceed with the show after season 5? They haven't, as of season 4, included any potential side arcs for any characters, so maybe they'll do this for season 5? Do the showrunners take the anime route, and create a show full of side arcs as the source material continues to grow? Or do the showrunners finish the story the way Martin wants to write it (especially since they know how it'll end already). I really hope they go the side arc route because I believe Martin deserves to tell his story in full first. Granted, side arc anime story lines always suffer in quality compared to the main storyline. 

So, according to Martin...

People are going to die who don’t die in the books, so even the book readers will be unhappy. So everybody better be on their toes. David [benioff] and D.B. [Weiss] are even bloodier than I am.

Guess that answers "will they spoil the ending" stuff; even if they do spoil it, it will only be in the broadest strokes.

Unless Martin is lying. Which he might be. 

BOOK SPOILERS.

Since season five will match ADwD-more or less- I wonder if the show might just kill Jon for real. It would certainly be a major change from the books, and reassure readers that the story won't be the same as the books... but then, the show also killed side-characters, like Jojen, before their time. If the show wants to make sure book fans don't drop it, and keep some of the shock momentum they got from Ned's death and the Red Wedding.. a main character has to die.

Edited by Quiver

I'll be watching season 5. I'm with the Smurf in that I actually think the series is possibly better than the books, and for me, that is a very rare thing to say.

Plus, I'm not actually certain George will finish writing the series as he has spent quite a bit of time working on the TV series.

When it comes to writing habits, GRRM is like the anti-Brandon. 

GRRM:  "Eh, I wrote a page last week.  That's good progress, right?"

Brandon:  "I had trouble getting into writing this book, so I wrote its sequel to get me warmed up.  What, did I do something weird?"

• 2 weeks later...

Martin's career is interesting because there is surprisingly very little in his bibliography... not to mention this is his first (and presumably only) sustained novel series. A lot of his other stuff consists of short stories or novels made up of short stories. I think that is, in part, why he takes a while writing these books...

• 1 month later...

I'm going to watch it. I can read a book knowing how it all ends and it doesn't really bother me. I get the same amount of enjoyment out of it as I would have by reading it without knowing anything.

I feel like I am in the minority because I like the tv show as much as i like the books, well at least the first 3 books, 4 and 5 sorta fell flat with me. So I enjoyed the tv show more than those books.

Seconded.   the first part anyway.  I still thinks the books are better than the show (and book 4 is way underrated, it is just so good.  book 5 not so much)

Seconded.   the first part anyway.  I still thinks the books are better than the show (and book 4 is way underrated, it is just so good.  book 5 not so much)

I recently re-read the books and I just read each character arc before moving onto the next character. Reading it that way i liked book 4 and 5 much better. 

I recently re-read the books and I just read each character arc before moving onto the next character. Reading it that way i liked book 4 and 5 much better. 

I could see that helping.  Cersei, Jaime, and Arya have great storylines, and just getting them all at once would be fun.  likewise for Arianne and the Dorne story (most anticipated part of this season for me).   My most recent reread, I did the conjoined version, where you switch between 4 and 5 chronologically.  it was a pain to do (I have the physical books, so I was switching between two nearly 1000 page monsters on the regular), but it helped alleviate the problems I had by sticking some of the book 4 character arcs I liked better in between the boring/annoying ones from book 5

It seems I'm not the only one wondering if Martin will actually finish the series.

i'm not convinced he will, as I think he is enjoying himself with the TV series too much.

He basically had to be kicked off the set to go and finish book six, and it still isn't done, even after 5 seasons of GoT have been created for TV.

It seems I'm not the only one wondering if Martin will actually finish the series.

i'm not convinced he will, as I think he is enjoying himself with the TV series too much.

He basically had to be kicked off the set to go and finish book six, and it still isn't done, even after 5 seasons of GoT have been created for TV.

Well, it took him somewhere around 8 years to write book 5, so it's not like this is out of character for him.  Even without the show, I doubt we'd have The Winds of Winter yet.  In fact, I'm starting to suspect that the TV series is the only way we're ever going to find out how the story ends.