Hero Epics

Alisonwonderland

At the end of Firefight David had made the acquaintance and gained the goodwill of three "good" Epics who might fulfill his father's expectation of the hero Epics who would come to save the people: Conflux, Dawnslight and Firefight. I expect that all three would help further in the coming struggle against Prof/Lamplight and ultimately, Calamity itself. Any speculation on how the powers of these hero Epics could be important in the confrontation?

At the end of Firefight David had made the acquaintance and gained the goodwill of three "good" Epics who might fulfill his father's expectation of the hero Epics who would come to save the people: Conflux, Dawnslight and Firefight. I expect that all three would help further in the coming struggle against Prof/Lamplight and ultimately, Calamity itself. Any speculation on how the powers of these hero Epics could be important in the confrontation?

Well, Dawnslight is pretty much stuck in New York, and Conflux is heavily committed to keeping Newcago running, so I doubt they'll be able to influence much in the next book, as it's set in Atlanta. We've seen the kind of damage that Prof can do to one of the mech suits anyways, so even if Conflux was to get involved, his powers would only be useful for surpressing a regular population like Steelheart used him for. At least for the powers we've seen onscreen and have been informed of. Megan will be absolutely instrumental to keep David alive, and David is sure to be the key to everything.

1 word: Obliteration.

I think we'll be seeing him again.

My headcanon is that Obliteration will spend the time between Firefight and Calamity as an anti-hero of sorts, using his powers to bring down most of the remaining Epic tyrants of the world. Between Obliteration killing off the tyrants and David (presumably) shutting down Calamity, the world will be on its way to full recovery in no time.

And this isn't just because I want to write a fanfic where Obliteration fights my Epic OC. Why do you ask?  :ph34r:  :P

]

Which one? The only one that may have a chance is Möbius and teleporters are her counter.

Definitely Möbius. Even with teleporters being her counter, she's got enough spatial tricks up her sleeve to give Obliteration a solid fight. Especially if Slaughterhouse fights on her side.

The key David handed to Oblit would only allow Oblit to know what his own weakness is, based on his nightmares. First he has to conquer his nightmares in order to avoid the Epic Effect, and who knows how easy that would be. However, given than Oblit appears batshit crazy already, why do we assume he would take on the evil epics?

The key David handed to Oblit would only allow Oblit to know what his own weakness is, based on his nightmares. First he has to conquer his nightmares in order to avoid the Epic Effect, and who knows how easy that would be. However, given than Oblit appears batshit crazy already, why do we assume he would take on the evil epics?

He's crazy, but he's been able to fight the epic effect by being crazy.  He'll be able to confront his fear, and probably did so immediately.

• 1 month later...

I don't know, its just odd. Most epics seem to have figured out their weaknesses, and presumably already made the connection to their fears/nightmares.

theoretically, David's explanation should only be a surprise to an epic who doesn't know their weakness. It seems odd that Obbie didn't.

and then, why immediately want to face it? It is his greatest fear, why would he rush to it just because he knows now it is his weakness?

I just have no clue.

I don't know, its just odd. Most epics seem to have figured out their weaknesses, and presumably already made the connection to their fears/nightmares.

theoretically, David's explanation should only be a surprise to an epic who doesn't know their weakness. It seems odd that Obbie didn't.

and then, why immediately want to face it? It is his greatest fear, why would he rush to it just because he knows now it is his weakness?

I just have no clue.

Well, they know their weakness is that thing they've always been afraid of, but it's not like they usually know or care about other Epic's pasts. When told that it is literally a direct connection, someone suitably insane like Oblit might start thinking "what if my fear doesn't exist anymore?" and test it.

But i think they would be very interested in other Epics, if they were smart- they need to fight and kill them, after all. I mean, it just seems obvious that any smart Epic would immediately mke the connection once they found out their weakness, and then assume that other Epic weaknesses are likely fear-based as well. Mind you, they wouldn't at all want to reveal this to anyone, of course, in case they were wrong or it let them be defeated.

At the end of Firefight David had made the acquaintance and gained the goodwill of three "good" Epics who might fulfill his father's expectation of the hero Epics who would come to save the people: Conflux, Dawnslight and Firefight. I expect that all three would help further in the coming struggle against Prof/Lamplight and ultimately, Calamity itself. Any speculation on how the powers of these hero Epics could be important in the confrontation?

Phaedrus is called Lamplight?!?! Sounds like Limelight

I think we should call him Leelight so we can sing about him in the American national anthem.

Oh say can you see?

By Dawnzer's Leelight

What so proudly we hailed

At Night Sorrow's last gleaming...

Granted, it makes far less sense that way. :mellow:

Wait--that song with the line "the dawn's early light" is part of the national anthem? :huh:

#KoboldIsTheWorstAmerican

I don't forsee Obliteration going to conquer his fear at all. David didn't tell him he'll become good by conquering it (David didn't know). David just told him that his worst fear, the thing he has nightmares about, is his weakness, and that it's the same for all Epics. Obliteration wants to kill all other Epics, therefore he thanks David and ditches. I see no reason for him to then go conquer his own fear. If anything, he'll avoid it like the plague now that he knows.

If anything, I think Limelight will go to a new town (possibly Atlanta) and make a huge show of his powers. This will draw Obliteration to prioritize killing him, and thus there'll be a three way clash between Limelight, Obliteration, and the Reckoners. Obliteration will then either die or conquer his fear, same goes for Limelight, and they'll handle Calamity somehow as well. But in regard to OP, I think only Megan will have a lasting effect on The Hunt for Phaedrus.

• Chaos locked this topic