Hardcore Rithmatic Theory

KalynaAnne

First, wow this is amazing. You did a ton of great work and I'm terribly impressed.

Second, a few thoughts. The circle at Nebrask might be a bit weaker for being so large... but isn't it mentioned to be much, much thicker? A Chalking might dig through it twice as fast, fifty times as fast, but isn't it hundreds of times (or more) bigger than most LoW?

...I suddenly realized I had, within reach, both a stick of chalk and a ruler. A stick of Crayola chalk is almost exactly 3/8". A hundred times that is 37.5", barely four feet. Four hundred feet is less than half a block in NYC, and 10,000x the width of a normal LoW. Presumably, this is at least part of the secret to the Great Circle's strength.

The Eskridge Defense... interesting thoughts all around, I heard that maybe it's a nine-point using only three points, I've heard that it's poorly-linked and this is okay... is it possible it's just a poor representation? Maybe they're trying to represent a six-point circle and are simply doing so poorly.

I also agree with the belief that outer LoW are restricted to five other bindpoints because they're simply too tiny for 9 points.

What else... there was something I was gonna say about the Great Circle, but I forget what, now.

I found this thread because I just sat down with some math and a ruler and realized that six-point circles were derived from triangles and wanted to see if people knew this... you do!

Now someone explain to me Lines of Vigor. If they reflect, why when they hit a Line of Forbiddance head-on do they not shoot straight back at the Rithmatist? For that matter, retre-reflectors aside, why not just always put up a slanty line and deflect, instead of "blocking", the LoV?

Basically, one of every pair of Duelers will be better at chalklings. It is in that person's best interest that the battle be one of Chalklings, not LoV. Either person can put up a slanty LoV, and make the decision for both duelists to only use Chalklings. So, why does the superior Chalking-ist not just do that, in literally every instance?

• 3 years later...

@Oudeis I am just theorising here, but if a line of vigour hits a line of forbiddence head on, it bounces back on itself, destroying itself instead of firing back at the Rithmatist who drew it. Of course, we haven't seen enough battles to know, for sure what happens, I think.

I think partial circles work. A line of warding doesn't immediately become ineffective if it is breached at one point, from memory.

Edited by Servillius