Phoenix Signing 1/21

the_archduke

-Is the Ars Arcanum written by a person we have met yet?

He said some people have met this person. I pushed and he said this person is from an unpublished work.

Sounds to me that the people backing the theory that Khriss wrote the Ars Arcanum are going to have a field day.

I just wrote for 30 minutes and had the computer eat it right before I hit post...

I will try to repost things slowly today

Best thing he said was Sanderson's 0th Law

"Always err on the side of what's awesome"

You can hit the little 'my saved content' thing at the bottom left to restore that in the future. Don't know if it'll work now that you actually posted it, though.

Thanks for the report! It was quite interesting.

Khriss, unsurprisingly, has been all-but-confirmed as the Ars Arcanum author, as many have speculated.

I'm really interested in this Glys-Renarin relationship. I'm also interested in how one passes a spren bond... and whether or not it would require the recipient to be broken.

Hoid's sword being nothing special is as expected, though a little sad. I was hoping he had an Awakened blade. Always loved that theory.

Edited by Moogle

You can hit the little 'my saved content' thing at the bottom left to restore that in the future. Don't know if it'll work now that you actually posted it, though.

Where is the said thing? Is it on a post as you're writing it? This would be nice to know.

Edit: Sorry for derailing the post in a matter of minutes.

Edited by inexorablePanda

Holy crem.

• Nahel bonds can be and have been passed!
  • Hoid's sword being an Awakened blade - debunked!
  • Nightwatcher:Cultivation = Stormfather:Honor - congratulations, we now have two completely contradicting WoBs on the topic! Let's use this one in the future - the Nightwatcher is Cultivation's Cognitive Shadow or something similar enough. Probably go with the "similar enough" until we clear things up further.
  • The double misting question... so lerasium-metal alloys turn people into Mistings? Is this new information only to me?

Where is the said thing? Is it on a post as you're writing it? This would be nice to know.

Edit: Sorry for derailing the post in a matter of minutes.

It takes a while to pop up, like a minute or so. I've written this and gone AFK for a while.

Take a look at the bottom left. You can left click the text to bring up your saved content if you accidentally refresh, etc.

2sugCcO.png

To be specific, click 'last auto saved' or 'view auto saved content' which is what it sometimes says.

Edited by Moogle

The double misting question... so lerasium-metal alloys turn people into Mistings? Is this new information only to me?

I think it was a popular theory, but this is our first confirmation. that might actually be why Brandon answered, because the asker just assumed it to be true so Brandon thought we all already knew...

Thanks for sharing!  It's nice to hear there are people in Phoenix right now who are not exclusively crazy football fans.  (FIL works there and is staying in his out of state home for the next couple weeks until the Super Bowl is history.)

The double misting question... so lerasium-metal alloys turn people into Mistings? Is this new information only to me?

I think it was a popular theory, but this is our first confirmation. that might actually be why Brandon answered, because the asker just assumed it to be true so Brandon thought we all already knew...

We knew it before, though I can't find the WoB at the moment. It definitely wasn't just a theory.

Edit: WoB:

Chaos (15 October 2008)

I really want to know what the last two metals are. I always thought the bead Elend ate was one of them, but perhaps they are just things of Preservation, not meant to be understood.

Brandon Sanderson (15 October 2008)

The metal chunk that Elend ate is intended to be something of a mystery. Much like atium, actually. Suffice it to say that atium isn't, and never was, what people thought it was.

I intended Allomancy to be much like a real science. People investigate and put things into boxes, trying to describe and understand the world around them. That doesn't mean they always get things right, however.

Let me say this, as I don't want to spoil too much. If that metal Elend ate were fused into specific alloys with certain metals, it could have instead created Mistings of each of the different Allomantic powers. Atium's abilities are not entirely explored yet either.

(source)

Edited by Moogle

Yeah we've known that lerasium alloys turn you into mistings for forever.  It's mentioned on the Allomancy chart as well.

The double misting question is interesting because previously Brandon said there is no canonical way to burn more than one metal without being a mistborn or using Hemalurgy.

The Nightwatcher/Stormfather makes no sense to me, Cultivation is still alive so she shouldn't have a Cognitive shadow like the Stormfather?

Also stormfather on tumblr went to this signing and this is their report:

Here’s my notes from his talk & the Q+A!!

Anything in quotes is a direct quote everything else is paraphrasing!

(also leinton and weiry your questions are at the bottom!) 

also, kit, please correct me if i screw up on anything sorry if i do„ its 12:42 am as im writing this and im very tired

Sorry mobile users. there’s a lot of questions that got asked/answered!

Okay so in his talk he talked about creativity as useful vs actual creativity, etc.  He said that a lot of people don’t consider creative endeavors (such as writing) legit until you do something worthwhile with it, like, ‘oh you write? so you’re unemployed?’ kind of thing. 

He compared creativity to a deck of cards that, once shuffled, is a completely unique combination of those cards. Creativity is taking what we know and shifting it around differently. (he had an audience member shuffle a deck of cards at the beginning of this speech and everyone applauded their creativity). “Creativity is something we all apply in different ways.”

He also talked about his writing process, and his quest to create a major in fantasy novel writing (which byu denied), so he snuck into classes instead.

He then read from one of his upcoming novellas.

Q+A

Favourite thing Hoid’s done?

• RAFO, sorta. A lot of his fave things have happened off screen that we’re not supposed to know about (yet)
  • Wit is his fave role that we’ve seen!
Are the non-cosmere books related?
  • No, earth is just generally non-cosmere, but they’re not related.
How do you balance writing and family?
  • he said it’s like a quote he heard where being self employed is like working half days, and you get to pick which 12 hours you work.
  • compartmentalize and budget time (3 hours of writing, then 3 hours of family time, etc.)
You say you put limits on magic to make it interesting, do you do the same to characters?
  • yes! a lot of characterization comes from conflict in what the characters can’t  do.
He’s taken programming classes, and someone wanted to know if he’ll apply that knowledge into magic systems.
  • yes, see: elantris
Rothfuss and Butcher call him the ‘magic systems guy’
  • Sabriel was his inspiration for unique rule based magic systems
  • magic and settings are only as good as the characters. if you dont have good characters, you’re writing a video game
Favourite version of superman? (Brandon was wearing a superman t-shirt at the signing)
  • Kingdom Come, overall
  • Lois and Clark as well
Upcoming books!
  • Perfect State - novella
  • Mistborn novels (2)
  • Calamity
  • Stormlight 3
Some background on nightblood
  • vasher + nightblood were written into the Way of Kings Prime,  then he wrote warbreaker before returning to rewrite the way of kings
Can Shai change hemalurgic spikes (sorry I havent read TES so i wasnt paying much attention during this question)
  • yes, but it costs a lot of power and she wouldn’t be able to do it alone
Who are the 3 travelers in twok?
  • We’ve seen 2 of them already
  • the third will be in the graphic novels that are coming soon
He was asked a question about creating steelheart and it boiled down to being unique with names and powers is hard, he had a hard time finding htings that marvel and dc havent done already.

Movies! Can we expect cameos?

• Yes! He’s contractually required to appear in all movies that have currently been sold
  • of those movies, he named off Legion, Mistborn, The Emperors Soul, and Steelheart
How does he keep what he’s read and what he’s written out of what he’s writing?
  • Ehn, you need to be aware but also unique. you have to know what’s going on in your genre and other stories so you can stay unique
  • practice
Influences (*currently reading)(sorry if i butcher the spellings orz)
  • mccaffrey
  • Jordan
  • melody ron
  • Les Miserables
  • Asimov
  • Guy Gabriel kay
  • andy weir
  • naomi novak*
  • immortal life of henrietta lax*
  • Terry prachett*
Wheel of time - Are matts memories from the past his own or other people’s?
  • other people’s
People sneaking into other classes in the Rithmatist was based off of him doing that

What was your inspiration for Grandpa smedry?

• his mother, who was always late to things
  • he’s the inspiration for alcatraz (he held up his broken phone to us)
The way he got asked to talk about how he came to finishing the wheel of time
  • he got a voicemail “hello, I am robert jordan’s widow. please give me a call” 
  • rj had asked her to find someone to finish his books, and after he passed away a friend read brandon’s eulogy for rj at the funeral, and the friend told her about his writing, and she read mistborn then gave him a call.
  • he said it was like winning the lottery but in order to do that your favourite author had to die
Have you accidently written any other books?
  • he tried writing aol’s sequel but it was hard
  • easier to start new
  • practice writing he does a lot to get used to different genres
  • but he doesnt really accidently write things
Stormlight 3 pov character? Some say szeth other say its up in the air?
  • he said he’s not going to canonize it or anything, he’s also looking at dalinar and eshonai and going to see who’s backstory fits the flow of the book best
How do you come up with names?
  • he takes a culture then breaks down the linguistics of it and its kind of complicated but he uses the rules from one language, then breaks them and makes his own??
  • he said you can do it on a smaller scale, take a list of baby names from one country or language, and break them into their sounds and rearrange them and make a list where none of the new names are like the ones on the list
Weiry asked: whether the plague on the purelake has anything to do with the fact that the magic fish form symbiotic bonds with spren?
  • no
  • worldhoppers brought a disease to Roshar that they didnt have before
  • its the common cold. 
  • rosharans investiture makes it so they’re usually a healthy bunch so something like the cold is kind of frightening
  • "its a plague of the sniffles"
Renarins eye colour!??!?!?!??!?!?!?
  • PAFO - peter and find out
  • he gets to canonize it 
Leinton asked: Is soulcasting blood a valid cure for blood diseases
  • not really
  • its super hard to soulcast people/bodies
  • you’d have to get it so exact. their blood. healthy blood. its very hard
  • basically you’d probably kill them in the process
and lastly brandon sanderson confirmed phoenix comicon 2016

So it looks like one of my random speculations was wrong, but a plauge of the sniffles is hilarious to make up for it.

Regarding the auto saved content (and restoring it).... it does work. I have a post I've been working on for 2 days. I'll do a bit at home, make sure it's saved, restore it at work, edit it a bit, restore at home, etc.

So do you go back to the thread in which you want to post it, or something else?

Thanks a lot for getting those, Weiry (and stormfather).

The explanation of the plague is kind of funny. I was kind of let down because I thought it was a clever plan by Taravangian to take over the region, but he's taking advantage of it anyways so there's that. I'm interested in this Investiture making all Rosharans healthy bit - is that related to how Stormlight has a healing effect, I wonder?

As to the Nightwatcher being like the Stormfather, the water remains murky. All the annotations/WoBs talk about the mists being a sort of construct created by Leras, but then he was also still around in ghost form, except he wasn't because he sacrificed his mind? And then the Stormfather existed pre-Shattering, except now he's a Cognitive Shadow?

Well, I for one am excited for SA3. I'd also be interested in the process of how, exactly, someone would help Shai out to change a spike.

Thanks a lot for getting those, Weiry (and stormfather).

The explanation of the plague is kind of funny. I was kind of let down because I thought it was a clever plan by Taravangian to take over the region, but he's taking advantage of it anyways so there's that. I'm interested in this Investiture making all Rosharans healthy bit - is that related to how Stormlight has a healing effect, I wonder?

As to the Nightwatcher being like the Stormfather, the water remains murky. All the annotations/WoBs talk about the mists being a sort of construct created by Leras, but then he was also still around in ghost form, except he wasn't because he sacrificed his mind? And then the Stormfather existed pre-Shattering, except now he's a Cognitive Shadow?

Well, I for one am excited for SA3. I'd also be interested in the process of how, exactly, someone would help Shai out to change a spike.

Perhaps our understanding of Cognitive Shadows is flawed.

Perhaps our understanding of Cognitive Shadows is flawed.

Undoubtedly. The issue though is that Brandon has described them as "ghosts", when they're plainly... well, not? He speaks of Kelsier still being around as a Cognitive Shadow, but that apparently doesn't apply to Shards in the same way. (Unless it does? Cultivation has some feelings for the Stormfather? Except what's going on with the Nightwatcher?)

WoBs:

Question

At the end of the trilogy Sazed communicates with Kelsier so there is something going on with an afterlife. Is it uniform across the cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson

What is happening there is not actually technically an afterlife, well it kind of is, it is what we call a cognitive shadow its when your spirit is not moving on yet. So there is a Beyond but there is a—basically it is what we would call in our world a ghost, and there are actually magic systems based around that. Actually the story I have coming out in George R.R. Martin's next anthology is a ghost story involving this same—yes it is cosmere based. Yes, that would be consistent, they don't all have the same mythology regarding it. But it would be consistent, what happened with Kelsier could have happened on any of the planets.

(source)

Question (Paraphrased)

So what happens when Shards die?

Brandon Sanderson (Paraphrased)

Well, it depends on how long the Shardholders have held the Shard. After they dies, the Shard is often able to continue acting, a kind of "Cognitive shadow". For example, the mists were able to continue doing what Preservation wished in helping out Vin and snapping people. With the Stormfather, he is that Cognitive shadow, and he's semi sentient. It's that power, but no one is actually holding it. We also see this on Threnody.

(source)

So I mean... I guess the simplest explanation is that when non-Shards die, their Cognitive Shadows are their actual souls or whatever still acting, where they refuse to go into the light so to speak. But when a Shard dies, it's not actually them...? Or maybe it is them, only they've been so warped by the power, they're not even recognizable as their old self?

The Stormfather doesn't seem at all like Tanavast, though. And Leras wasn't dead until the last bit where he spoke with Elend, so... how did he have a Cognitive Shadow?

Edited by Moogle

Hey, regarding the Nightwatcher and Cultivation, plus the above interchange that happened while I typed this: I don't think Cognitive Shadows have to be of dead shardholders. The mists were Leras' cognitive shadow before he died. We know exactly when he dies because a body literally falls out of the sky. It could be argued that his personality was almost dead, but still. Perhaps the cognitive shadow of a shardholder is more like their projection onto/into the world. Or perhaps Cultivation has done something like Leras did in sacrificing part of her personality.

We could also be reading a bit too much into it. Maybe Nightwatcher is related to Cultivation in a way that's similar to the Stormfather's relation to Honor/Tanavast without being exactly the same.

Oh, and the Kandra in AoL was the Faceless Immortal who gave Wax his spi--earring.

Edited by IAmTheBeard

Do we know that Leras wasn't dead? I started my reread of HoA today, but I haven't gotten there yet. Could it have a been a programming, like Dalinar's visions?

Leras' body dropped into the ash after he spoke with Elend. Sazed remarks that this was when he died:

I don’t know why Preservation decided to use his last bit of life appearing to Elend during his trek back to Fadrex. From what I understand, Elend didn’t really learn that much from the meeting. By then, of course, Preservation was but a shadow of himself—and that shadow was under immense destructive pressure from Ruin. Perhaps Preservation—or, the remnants of what he had been—wanted to get Elend alone. Or, perhaps he saw Elend kneeling in that field, and knew that the emperor of men was very close to just lying down in the ash, never to rise again.

Either way, Preservation did appear, and in doing so exposed himself to Ruin’s attacks. Gone were the days when Preservation could turn away an Inquisitor with a bare gesture, gone—even—were the days when he could strike a man down to bleed and die. By the time Elend saw the “mist spirit,” Preservation must have been barely coherent. I wonder what Elend would have done, had he known that he was in the presence of a dying god—that on that night, he had been the last witness of Preservation’s passing. If Elend had waited just a few more minutes on that ashen field, he would have seen a body—short of stature, black hair, prominent nose—fall from the mists and slump dead into the ash. As it was, the corpse was left alone to be buried in ash. The world was dying. Its gods had to die with it.

The Nightwatcher/Stormfather makes no sense to me, Cultivation is still alive so she shouldn't have a Cognitive shadow like the Stormfather?

My guess would be that Cognitive Shadows are "ghost-like", that not all Cognitive Shadows are the same...whatever that means, or that perhaps, Stormfather existed even before Tanavast was gone, but just as a mega-type of (Honor?) spren and the embodiment of Highstorms, something connected to Honor in the same way Nightwatcher is connected to Cultivation. But that's really just speculation, I'm just as bewildered as you are, but I guess, it's more complicated than it seems...heh.

In Stormfather's case, I wonder if his mind could've been damaged when Honor was splintered, too...

Edited by Nymp