Dawnslight's Message

LegendMKII

Hi all, this is my first post, so wish me luck!

So on the last page of Firefight, Dawnslight gives a message to David saying: "dream good dreams Steelslayer." I've been thinking about this a lot, and what if it means that David has the potential to be an Epic, but since he has no identifiable fear that could be turned into a weakness, as he faced down water, he is not an Epic yet. If he ever gets one, then has nightmares about it, it could define his weakness, causing his powers to then manifest; you can't have an Epic without a weakness.

Thanks for reading my musings.

Possibly a dumb question.

If an epic conquers their fears, do they still have a weakness?  We never got a chance to see what would happen with Megan.

I interpreted it as David IS an epic, but doesn't know it yet.  It means that he's conquered his fear, and won't have nightmares.

There are a bunch of "what-ifs" that haven't been answered.

Personally, I think that David's powers would be almost identical to Darwin's from X-Men.

He improvises all the time, and adapts to the situation around him.  As such, his body will as well.  Just my two cents.

If an epic conquers their fears, do they still have a weakness?  We never got a chance to see what would happen with Megan.

I interpreted it as David IS an epic, but doesn't know it yet.  It means that he's conquered his fear, and won't have nightmares.

Personally, I think that David's powers would be almost identical to Darwin's from X-Men.

He improvises all the time, and adapts to the situation around him.  As such, his body will as well.  Just my two cents.

Short answer we don´t know, because of course Megan didn´t attempt to use her power while next to a fire yet.

Speculative answer: Edmund/Conflux notes how he doesn´t seem to have a weakness after checking on what he though what his weakness was. (Dogs) Given the whole nightmare thing it´s unlikely he would make a wrong guess, which is a very strong indication that they used to be his weakness but stopped to be after he got over it.

What´s not clear in this speculation is, wheter facing you fear is enough for that or if you have to stop fearing it completely.

I personally hope this isn't true.  One of the appeals about this series to me is that someone is normal, not having powers, not having anything special about them.

I doubt a weakness actually disappears once it's established. Edmund thought his weakness was dogs because he was - presumably - having nightmares about them, but at some point overcame his fear. But the key thing, I think, is that Edmund never actually knew what his weakness was for sure - meaning he didn't actually test it at any point, which is unsurprising given that he's basically lived in a box for years.

So Edmund's thought process was: I'm having nightmares about dogs > that must be my weakness; I stopped having nightmares about dogs > that must not have been my weakness. But Edmund doesn't have any sort of special insight into how Epics work.

After all, Megan stopped being corrupted by her powers after conquering her fear (or at least conquering her fear enabled her to overcome the corruption) but didn't lose her powers. The powers, corruption, weakness and fear are all related but aren't necessarily dependant on each other.

Besides, if conquering your fear removed your weakness, that would make some Epics literally invincible. Imagine a Steelheart without a weakness.

I doubt a weakness actually disappears once it's established. Edmund thought his weakness was dogs because he was - presumably - having nightmares about them, but at some point overcame his fear. But the key thing, I think, is that Edmund never actually knew what his weakness was for sure - meaning he didn't actually test it at any point, which is unsurprising given that he's basically lived in a box for years.

So Edmund's thought process was: I'm having nightmares about dogs > that must be my weakness; I stopped having nightmares about dogs > that must not have been my weakness. But Edmund doesn't have any sort of special insight into how Epics work.

After all, Megan stopped being corrupted by her powers after conquering her fear (or at least conquering her fear enabled her to overcome the corruption) but didn't lose her powers. The powers, corruption, weakness and fear are all related but aren't necessarily dependant on each other.

Besides, if conquering your fear removed your weakness, that would make some Epics literally invincible. Imagine a Steelheart without a weakness.

The problem here is that as far as we know Epics always dream about their weakness, so the logic of "I dream about it therefore it´s my weakness" while reversing cause and effect is flawless.

Also, Epics don´t automatically know that their dreams are connected to their weaknesses, so even if they would dream about something else that wouldn´t give them reason to come to any conclusion.

An Epic mistaking his weakness for something else shouldn´t happen, under the information we have.

Yes, and the weakness steams from the fear, so overcomeing one and getting rid of the other does make sense thematically, while the power is there (presumably) to help you against your fear, so getting better control over it after it´s innitial order has been fulfilled also makes sense.

True, but not prove.

• Chaos locked this topic