Thank you Brandon, I can sleep now [Not Really a Spoiler...]

Trickonometry

...But this is brought up right at the end of Firefight. It's been bugging the crap out of me that they kept calling David's similes "metaphors." When our newly fearless epic calls him out on it, it was, strangely, one of the more cathartic moments of the book.

Just felt like sharing this. Go about your day. :-)

So, funny related story:  I was reading the book-book while my husband listened to the audiobook, and I got ahead and finished first.  Were were talking about questions we'd ask Brandon at a signing, and his was, "Did you mean to call all the bad similes made by David metaphors?"  So when I got close to the end and Megan makes that comment, I had to bite my tongue while laughing so as not to give it away to him before he finished the book. 

This also sparked a whole conversation about the differences between similes, metaphors and analogies.  English grammar is not my strong point; I was always a math/science nerd who just happened to love reading.  Fortunately, my hubby is a good writer and understands these things.

I'm a math and science guy not an English guy but aren't metaphors a super-set of similes? I.E. I thought all similes were also metaphors and hence calling them a metaphor, while not as accurate as calling them a simile, was still correct?

This was pretty much my understanding of metaphors and similes.

A simile is a comparison made using the words "like" or "as."  A metaphor compares them without using either of those two words.

So, a simile would be, "That object is like an apple."  A metaphor would be "That object is an apple." (apple shaped, tasting, etc)

A simile is a comparison made using the words "like" or "as."  A metaphor compares them without using either of those two words.

So, a simile would be, "That object is like an apple."  A metaphor would be "That object is an apple." (apple shaped, tasting, etc)

This post is a shining lantern over the dark and shadowy sea that is the modern perception of metaphors.

Wow, that was a great metaphor!  *types it into phone*

I was trying to go for simple.

Edit:  David actually manages a few good metaphors (or similes) in the books, so he's not ALWAYS bad at them :)

Edited by RShara

• Chaos locked this topic