[Firefight Tour] San Francisco/El Cerrito 1/17

KiManiak

I was able to attend the “San Francisco” signing (which was actually in El Cerrito in the East Bay, but I get billing it as San Francisco for region identification) today.  Brandon was great: he gave a talk about creativity for about 10 mins; did a Q&A session for about 30-45 mins or so; and finished up with a reading of something new for about 15 mins.

I was able to ask a question during the Q&A (and received a RAFO card for my troubles) and then ask him 3 more when he signed my books for me. 

(All the answers are paraphrased as I didn’t tape anything.  However, there was a tape recorder on the table so hopefully another Sharder will post)

Q: This may be RAFO bait, but let’s see.  Did the Knights Radiant in Dalinar’s Feverstone Keep vision divest their discard their Shards to a specific person/being/entity?  (Brandon interrupted here before I could finish, but I’ll include the rest anyway).  If so, have we seen them onscreen as of the end of WoR?

B: That’s a definite RAFO. (And that’s how I earned my first official RAFO card).

Q: Do some Surges have a stronger cognitive aspect (or cognitive influence, if aspect is too general) than others?  Like Illumination, maybe?

B: (Really paraphrased; I tried to keep the wording in my head but got distracted right after I talked to him).  There are those who would argue that it is indeed the case.  It would be a matter of some debate.

Q: This one’s kind of out there, but..: Any significant connection between Herdazians having stone fingernails and the essence associated with Kalak (Foil, #8)  having a body focus of the Nails?

B: No, no there is not.  Good question, though.  (Appreciated Brandon softening the “no” with that)

Q: When Kaladin killed the Shardbearer (Helaran) in WoK, Amaram remarked that Amaram knew the Shardbearer was dead because the Shardblade didn’t disapper and because the Shardplate began to fall off of him.  Is there some type of “lesser” bond between Shardplate and its wearer? 

B:  Yes, yes there is.

So not the most eye-opening answers in the world, but it does give us (or at least, me) a little bit more insight into some topics. 

I was at this signing too! And I remember you, haha. I saw the phone recording too -- hopefully we get that audio.

During the Q&A, I asked if he could tell us anything more about the "secret project" on his dropbox. He said he can't say anything about it right now because its title and nature are big spoilers. I asked him if that meant it was a cosmere story, and he hedged. He also added that it's just an idea right now, and it may not ever become a published book. And if so, that'd be a long time down the road. So we won't hear anything about that for years, if ever.

At the signing itself, I asked a couple more questions. I didn't record but I'll paraphrase here:

Me: Prior to the shattering of Adonalsium, were any of the central cosmere worlds inhabited by humans?

Brandon: YES.

Me: Were *all* of them inhabited by humans?

Brandon: NO.

Me: On Scadrial, the city Elendel is named for Elend. Is Luthadel also named for a notable historical figure?

Brandon: YES.

Me: Will we ever meet them, or hear about them or anything?

Brandon: You might hear them mentioned at some point (he was pretty noncommital here) and you probably won't ever actually meet them.

For the record, both of those "core" questions were in the Google Doc for unanswered questions. I was on my phone and the interface wasn't great, but it didn't look like either had been answered. My bad if they've already been covered. In any case, it was a lot of fun. This was my first time making it out to one of Brandon's signings, even though I've been reading his stuff for years. Will definitely look out for him to come back! [Mistborn Adventures tour? *fingers crossed*]

Edited by Teccam

I recorded parts of the Q&A and the first half of the signing line. I'm working on transcribing, but in the mean time I wanted to mention one cool tidbit from Brandon. He's (re)optioned 4 of his books/series to be made into movies: Steelheart, Legion, Mistborn, Emperors Soul. I didn't record his answer, but he said that Steelheart was optioned on Friday, that Emperor's Soul was optioned by DMG (Iron Man 3), and that there is a film treatment (between scene cards and a screenplay) for Mistborn. If I recall, he said the DMG guys went down the Cosmere rabbit hole and got excited. He made a joke about them playing with the idea of a "Sanderson Cinematic Universe" :)

Alright, missed connections time!

I was next to you two in the signing line and we talked cosmere questions, Magic: the Gathering, and Mistborn RPG. I lent you my copy of the core rulebook and you lent me a copy of Firefight for small periods of time within the line. I had 7 books with me. Unfortunately, my friend was in a hurry to make his date so we had to rush out of there, but it would be cool to get your names! I know you guys are on 17th shard, so here's hoping you see this.

Thanks Curiosity! Looks great to me. I was mostly trying to get an outline of the signing with paraphrased questions and answers unless it is a potentially Cosmere-impacting answer. You did an awesome job.

I got in the signing line during the reading, which is why that fades out near the middle. I assume we have the reading already because it's the same one he's been doing at most of the signings.

A: You will have to read on and see where it goes, and it’s certainly not something his father would have done, but at the same time, ah, I think there is a legitimate moral argument that what he did was right. I think there’s a legitimate one. I’m not saying it won’t change him or stuff, but there is a legitimate argument. 

This bit, about Adolin killing Sadeas at the end of Words of Radiance... I am really happy with Brandon's opinion here. Many people, I think, would say that what Adolin did was immoral in the absolute sense, but I believe it's important to acknowledge that there should be some debate on the topic, there is a legitimate moral argument. Maybe what he did was immoral, but it's certainly something worth not dismissing outright.

So far as Adolin's actions go, Sadeas's "that man just needs killed" rating (a very scientific rating system, I assure you) was so high at that point in the book that I'd have thought any random passerby killing the man to have been acting with perfect moral justification: So long as the end result was Sadeas being dead.

It interesting that you felt that way Kurkistan, because I actually hated Sadeas more at the end of WoK. The chapters from Sadeas' PoV in WoR really helped me understand his philosophy and how he rationalized his actions. I didn't like him, but I think maybe it made him seem, to me, like a product of his nation and times.

Finished transcribing. There was someone else, I thought, recording the line so they may have the second half. I'm sticking a few highlights in a spoiler tag below. Italicized lines = paraphrased vs. text = verbatim.

Hope to see some of you at the next one of these. Maybe we should have a pre-signing thread too next time to coordinate a meetup?

[7:45]
Q: If your character Hoid were a Planeswalker what color would he be?
A: You know I might do him like the Reaper King. Like two slash on all five. That’s what I would do him as.

[17:47]
Q: Will you tell us the Intent of Bavadin’s Shard?
A: The Intent of Bavadin’s Shard? No. But good question. Have a RAFO card.

[19:07]
Q: Syl changes forms a lot more than the other bonded spren. Is human her default?
A: Is Syl’s default form the little human woman or does she not really have one? You will find out more about that eventually.

[32:14]
Q: The Shardblade that Dalinar had at the end of Words of Radiance, was that the Honorblade?
A: The Shardblade that Dalinar had at the end of Words of Radiance that he gave up?
Q: Yeah, that he gave up.
A: No it was not.
Q: It was not? So what happened to the Honorblade that the Herald had?
A: Nobody kno- Well, somebody knows, but it is not known to the main characters.
Q: Can I ask if uh, Hoid-
A: If Hoid knows?
Q: Yeah.
A: Hoid did not take it, but I’m not answering whether he knows. 
Q: When spren die, they kind of become part of everything, so why did, when the Knights broke their oaths, why did they stay as Shardblades?
A: They had been bound into that form by those oaths. The oaths are broken, but it’s like they’re cracked. Does that make sense? Like, there’s still something holding those spren and that’s what made them [?] It would have been better if they had actually died, does that make sense? But they couldn’t, they’re bound in that form.
Q: But their consciousness is gone-?
A: They still have a consciousness some- to an extent.
Q: That’s why the screaming happens.
A: Yes.

[35:28]
Q: So Words of Radiance… [paper crumpling; Adolin?] ...killed by… [crumpling; Sadeas?] … knife through the eye [crumpling] … worked so hard, I mean like does that change him in any way [?]
A: You will have to read on and see where it goes, and it’s certainly not something his father would have done, but at the same time, ah, I think there is a legitimate moral argument that what he did was right. I think there’s a legitimate one. I’m not saying it won’t change him or stuff, but there is a legitimate argument.

[43:14]
Q: Does Sazed talk to Wax when he has that thing in his ear, when he’s praying?
A: Um, yes.
Q: Aha! Yes! Uh, ok, second thing. My brother and I have been debating about Hoid and how he got his abilities. We have a couple theories. One of them is Hemalurgy.
A: Ok…
Q: The other has to do with the portals into the worlds themselves, because the birds in Sixth of Dusk-
A: Ok, he does not have Hemalurgy. He has powers that predate the Shattering of Adonalsium. Not all of his powers predate, but he does have powers that predate.
Q: Ok, so I was wrong on both counts then… Am I wrong on both counts?
A: I’m not saying that. I’m saying that he has powers that predate, and has gained powers since.

[44:51]
Q: I actually have a few questions. I figure most of them will be RAFO, but I might as well try. In [shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell], that one? The Evil that destroyed the Homeland, was that Odium [killing?] a Shard? Or was that someone else-
A: RAFO
Q: Are we going to see more of that world?
Q: Sweet!
A: Thredony is the name of that world.
Q: I’ll make sure to write that down somewhere. I really liked Silence, by the way. She was awesome. Are we going to find out who brought Nightblood to Roshar?
Q: Cool. I’m not going to bother asking who did right now. With Syl being able to be revived, is Adolin ever going to be able to revive his own blade, or- 
A: Ah, that would be very difficult, as the orig-, in most cases, the original person who broke the oaths has to be the one. 
Q: Ok. Do you have to have done the third oath before you can convert your spren into a Blade?
A: Uh, in most orders, yes.
Q: What about Shallan then? Did she do it, cause she was a kid when she first-
A: Um… You will find out more. 
Q: Cool. The other big one that I had was, um, how far ahead in the timeline is Sixth of Dusk?
A: Pretty far. 
Q: … kind of a general-
A: Most people that I’m writing about now are all dead.
Q: Is it up into the third trilogy of Mistborn?
A: It is that era, yes.
Q: Sweet! That’s what I thought.
A: It might be a little bit before that trilogy, but it’s that era. 
Q: I have a final question then, is there a Hoid cameo in Shadows for Silence?
A: I intentionally didn’t put one in, because I didn’t- couldn't come- there was no reason for him to be there, and I didn’t want to be doing it just to do it, if that makes sense, like, the Cosmere isn’t just a bunch of cameos, it is a story within itself. 

[57:20]
Q: My son wants to know...Why is Alcatraz a bad guy but he doesn’t do bad things?
A: He ahm...You can just say to him that Alcatraz is not a bad guy but he has a poor opinion of himself. He has bad self esteem.

[59:35]
Q: Who is your favorite Epic?
A: I would say that Megan is my favorite Epic.

[1:05:38]
Q: Why can you never find the fourth book in the Alcatraz series?
A: Because the fourth book had the lowest distribution and was not printed in paperback. And so.. but the reprints of those -- the new ones that Tor is doing -- I’ve seen the covers and they’re awesome. They’re the first time I’ve gotten good covers on an Alcatraz book. So I’m very excited about those.
Q: You did like [name]’s covers?
A: No I thought they were terrible. The first one wasn’t bad. I was ok with the first one. But they got progressively worse I felt.

[1:06:54]
Q: What book has inspired you the most?
A: Les Miserables. I love Victor Hugo’s writing style. His use of character and his use of language.

[1:13:35]
Q: From the very beginning did you already know like the Cosmere? Like was that your goal setting out?
A: It was my goal very early on. In fact, before I wrote any books I wrote a short story about Hoid. So he goes back to before the very first book that I wrote. So yeah it goes back pretty far. I can trace inspirations back to Asimov tying Foundation and Robots together and feeling like that was really cool and wanting to do something like that, if it makes sense. And so I would say that’s probably like the first seed was when I read the later Foundation books and they tied them together. 

[1:18:43]
Q: I was reading stuff online about like a Mistborn videogame…
A: Yeah, we’ll still working on it. It’s taking much longer than we thought. The developer the producer of the game and I had chosen -- they, ah, had a falling out and split and so we had to start over from scratch and that’s what really threw us for a loop. We then took it to a really prestigious one game company that I love and they considered it for a long time, but it turned out that they just didn’t have the time and couldn’t do it. So now we are kind of back to square one finding a third group to do it.

[1:19:48]
Q: My question was about Shards actually. So at the end of Words of Radiance Syl is turning into a Shardblade as well as other different weapons. And Kaladin has a whole bunch of Windspren around him. And I am wondering if that is a precursor to Shardplate?
A: I think you are a very smart man and you are asking wise questions.

[1:26:26]
Q: Worldbringers and Worldsingers -- similar mission?
A: The similarity of the names is intentional. 
Q: Similar origin?
Q: Did Hoid start them?
A: That’s a RAFO. That’s a RAFO, but definitely they have a similar origin.

[1:31:35]
Q: If you electrified metal would that have any impact on being able to Steelpush or Ironpull it?
A: I do not currently have that as an effect. That interfering with it requires Investiture. And electrifying is not Investiture. So no it would not. In fact, I’m absolutely sure it will not because the plans call for that to be a possibility they are doing in the future.
Q: Can a kandra burn things...could they burn lerasium...and if they did would they be able to burn other things?
A: Yes that is possible. It is even plausible that an kandra could gain other powers, they just don’t know how to do it.

Edit: typos

Edited by EnaMai

So far as Adolin's actions go, Sadeas's "that man just needs killed" rating (a very scientific rating system, I assure you) was so high at that point in the book that I'd have thought any random passerby killing the man to have been acting with perfect moral justification: So long as the end result was Sadeas being dead.

Brandon has before said (something like) while some would agree with Adolin's actions some would disagree strongly and many here figured that Dalinar would be someone who would disagree. I think we can be more confident now that Dalinar is not going to be a happy bunny. Though I'm interested in what's going to happen to Adolin, I'm also curious to what this is going to mean for Dalinar's development - is his reaction here going to be consistent with Bondsmiths or is this a blind spot he has personally that he's going to have to resolve to progress?

Q: My question was about Shards actually. So at the end of Words of Radiance Syl is turning into a Shardblade as well as other different weapons. And Kaladin has a whole bunch of Windspren around him. And I am wondering if that is a precursor to Shardplate?

That... that is sparking AWESOME! Was that theory ever posted on the forums? That would be such a cool scene, Kaladin attracting lots of windspren again and then suddenly they merge around him and become Shardplate!

Or something like that. We won't know exactly till Brandon shows us.

The way I read it, Brandon didn't confirm the theory or even say it was along the right lines.

You're right. I think it's a cool theory nonetheless. Also, I do feel Brandon's response would be a bit strange if the guy's theory was totally off.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves on the Shardplate thing. A very valid interpretation of Brandon's answer is that at one point during the series some characters will come up with a similar theory - which may or may not be correct. 

The theory about the windspren becoming Shardplate has been around since last March or so; this is the closest I've seen Brandon come to confirming it. I'll have to go scrounging to find (if possible) the place where someone asked him about it and he refused to give any hints, but I'm pretty sure the question has been asked.

ETA: I found some of it. One of the tordotcom readers asked Peter at JordanCon last spring, "Someone suggested that a Knight Radiant's Shardplate is formed by associated 'dumb' spren: e.g. a Windrunner’s Plate is formed by windspren, etc. Is there any truth to this idea?" She got a RAFO from Peter.

I haven't found any place where someone asked Brandon directly; I'll let you know if I do.

Oh, and I found the first time I saw the theory posited; it was March 9, 2014.

Edited by Wetlander

Finished transcribing. There was someone else, I thought, recording the line so they may have the second half. I'm sticking a few highlights in a spoiler tag below. Italicized lines = paraphrased vs. text = verbatim.

Thank you very much for the transcription.

If I could make one more request? Would you mind terribly editing your post (or re-posting) with a spoiler that includes everything, not just what look like the highlights right now? For all we know a year from now that one oblique WoB will be the most important thing ever, and better to have it here on the forums, linkable and search-indexed, than hidden away on a Google doc no one looks at because we've already got "the highlights". :)

Edited by Kurkistan

Sure! Here's the full transcript. I did paraphrase questions about writing, other authors' books, WoT, etc (or when the question audio is indecipherable but I remember the gist of it from the event).

plain = verbatim

italicized = paraphrased

[00:26]

Q: In Words of Radiance you have a great line which said “careful planning is the water which nourishes creativity”. I was wondering if, when you wrote that line, were you specifically thinking about novel outlines?

A: So there’s a line in Words of Radiance that’s says “careful planning is the water which nourishes creativity”. Was I specifically thinking of outlines? So when I speak most lines like this, I’m trying to speak through someone’s eyes. That’s Navani I believe who says that am I right? The idea being that that’s the way they’d perceive it. There are other people who would disagree. Now I am a planner, so I understand that mindset a lot. I use a lot of outlines. There are other people who don’t plan at all and their books still turn out awesome. So I think there are a lot of different ways to be creative. But I don’t think that Navani thinks that there are a lot of different ways. If that makes any sense. She has a different perspective on it perhaps.

[01:36]

Q: Revisiting the Wheel of Time?

A: Robert uncomfortable with people writing in his universe. Changed his mind in the end. Harriet and Brandon presented a united front to publisher. It shouldn’t happen b/c of Robert’s wishes. Harriet and the estate may change their mind but he probably wouldn’t write them himself.

[4:00]

Q: What about a WoT movie?

A: Could happen but TV show more likely.

[4:44]

Q: So this may be RAFO bait, but in Dalinar’s Feverstone Keep vision, when the Radiant’s discard their Shards are they doing that to any entity in particular in specific?

A: Definitely a RAFO.

[5:04]

Q: Last month you posted a picture of your Dropbox right and there is that one folder that we read about. Is there anything you can tell us about that yet?

A: So I posted a picture of my Dropbox and I just happened to have crossed out one of the folders. Ahm, what can I say about that...you’ll know eventually. There’s not a whole lot i can say about it because it’s mere existence is a spoiler to people who haven’t read certain other books. And so that’s the reason why I crossed it out.

Q: We can assume it’s Cosmere?

A: I can’t say either way. It’s mere existence is a spoiler. You will find out eventually, but it is definitely a little side project that I may or may not actually ever finish.

[6:07]

Q: What are you reading right now?

A: The Martian by Andy Weir (fantastic), Naomi Novik’s new book, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Raising Steam, Peter Orullian’s second book

[7:45]

Q: If your character Hoid were a Planeswalker what color would he be?

A: You know I might do him like the Reaper King. Like two slash on all five. That’s what I would do him as.

[8:24]

Q: Inspiration for Cody?

A: At a convention in the South a guy used y’all for “me”; for one person. Built a character around this person. A Kentucky dialect is y’all for one person and all y’all for many. Gets many emails from Southerners letting him know that’s not right.

[9:52]

Q: Who would I cast to play Wayne in Alloy of Law?

A: He doesn’t cast characters; pays attention to directors. Impressed by Matthew McConaughey these last few years. Best actors are versatile. He cast the Legion hallucinations as famous actors except for Kalyani.

[10:52]

Q: Plans to make tabletop RPGs for other books?

A: Eventually we will do them, but not anytime soon.

[11:15]

Q: How do you pitch a book?

A: Practice...

[13:01]

Q: Inspiration for Szeth?

A: Discovery writes his characters. Writes characters into a plot like casting them into roles. For Szeth it came from the idea of a religion worshipping stone.

[14:32]

Q: Most unforgettable frustrations of becoming a writer?

A: Meeting deadlines; trained himself to be creative and excited about necessary book. Touring also exhausting.

[15:38]

Q: Which power would you have in the real world?

A: Allomancer. Steel/Iron. Others would keep you alive or give immortality but he wants to fly.

[16:14]

Q: So I’m asking a question for my little sister. So since Disneyland is taking over the world, Disneyland is obviously Librarians. So is Alcatraz ever going to visit Disneyland?

A: Oh that’s a good question. He should because Disneyland is totally Librarians. They totally run that. I will consider that. I will consider that. Good question. Alcatraz 5 is written. We’re re-releasing the Alcatraz books with new covers and new artwork and all sorts of cool things like that starting January next year and they’ll run straight through to the fifth book which will come out in the summer sometime.

[17:05]

Q: How do you keep everything straight?

A: He has an internal wiki with [WikiDPad?]. He’s scatterbrained; forgets wallets, keys, but never forgets stories. They stick in his head.

[17:47]

Q: Will you tell us the Intent of Bavadin’s Shard?

A: The Intent of Bavadin’s Shard? No. But good question. Have a RAFO card.

[18:14]

Q: If you could talk [?] optioning Stormlight Archive.

A: Have I thought of optioning Stormlight as a miniseries? Yes I have, but I think it’s premature if you do anything until a few more books come out.

[18:29]

Q: Should the things you thought of in Firefight apply in Steelheart?

A: Yes, the things I thought of in Firefight should apply in Steelheart. Uh, about weaknesses.

[18:53]

Q: Who’s your favorite Epic?

A: Ask in line, since it’s a spoiler for the books. It’s someone that you don’t know is an Epic.

[19:07]

Q: Syl changes forms a lot more than the other bonded spren. Is human her default?

A: Is Syl’s default form the little human woman or does she not really have one? You will find out more about that eventually.

[19:31]

Q: How do they work with spheres being the money, magic system, and lighting on Roshar?

A: They would say, “How could you have three different things to fulfill those functions?” Mostly rich people use spheres for lighting. Poor people use candles and such since you don’t want to leave your spheres out in the open. There are low-light spheres worth the same amount as a candle, so someone could swipe that and there wouldn’t be a difference.

[20:40]

Q: What does the Upside Down [??? sorting system] exactly mean?

A: [laughing] I don’t know, it’s something I made up for the Librarians in Alcatraz.

[21:21]

Q: What advice would you give to someone who wants to be a writer?

A: Your duty is to practice writing in such a way so you can write great books. Your job is not to write a great book. It takes practice, like being a doctor or pianist. Resolve to practice. Don’t worry if you’re not playing Rachmaninoff immediately. Practice trumps perfectionism on a small level.

[32:14]

Q: The Shardblade that Dalinar had at the end of Words of Radiance, was that the Honorblade?

A: The Shardblade that Dalinar had at the end of Words of Radiance that he gave up?

Q: Yeah, that he gave up.
A: No it was not.

Q: It was not? So what happened to the Honorblade that the Herald had?

A: Nobody kno- Well, somebody knows, but it is not known to the main characters.

Q: Can I ask if uh, Hoid-

A: If Hoid knows?

Q: Yeah.
A: Hoid did not take it, but I’m not answering whether he knows.

Q: When spren die, they kind of become part of everything, so why did, when the Knights broke their oaths, why did they stay as Shardblades?
A: They had been bound into that form by those oaths. The oaths are broken, but it’s like they’re cracked. Does that make sense? Like, there’s still something holding those spren and that’s what made them [?] It would have been better if they had actually died, does that make sense? But they couldn’t, they’re bound in that form.

Q: But their consciousness is gone-?

A: They still have a consciousness some- to an extent.

Q: That’s why the screaming happens.

[35:28]

Q: So Words of Radiance… [paper crumpling; Adolin?] ...killed by… [crumpling; Sadeas?] … knife through the eye [crumpling] … worked so hard, I mean like does that change him in any way [?]

[36:30]

Q: What has been your most favorite character arc to write?

A: Um… Normally it’s very hard to answer questions like this because it’s like all my characters are my favorites, but in this case I can say writing Perrin’s arc in the Wheel of Time was very satisfying and fulfilling since I’ve been a fan for so many years and being able to do the things there, yeah. That was very satisfying, how about that?

[37:05]

Q: So I thought through a lot of your recommendations, and a lot of other recommendations from other people on reddit, but where do you find books that you read?

A: Reads the first few pages to his wife, who’s a avid reader. Guy Gavriel Kay, Brian McClellan, Elerix [?] David Gemmell.

38:40

Q: For the past year I’ve been the administrator for the Stormlight Archive Wiki and any feedback you or Peter could give me is most welcome, no feedback would be fine,-

A: I go there when I’m looking for, like that, like, I know I wrote something about this, what did I put in the book. Then I’ll go to your wiki and look at it.

Q: That’s cool.

A: I got that habit with the Wheel of Time, because I could find it in the notes, but it always takes longer to go to the notes than to Google and Google doesn’t index my wiki, so I go to yours. I think it’s well done. More stuff about the SA wiki and maybe they’ll link it on Brandon’s website.

40:20ish

Q: I’m at a magazine and we were wondering if you could do an interview or a short story.

A: I can do the interview, but I don’t do short short stories, short means 17,000 words for me.

[41:13]

Q: When it comes to like, touring and stuff like that, how do you pick these locations?

A: Sometimes, it’s my publisher, sometimes it’s me saying let’s go somewhere different. And sometimes it’s places where I’ve come a lot where they do a good job, like when I come to a store like this, I think they do a good job, so I put a good report into the publisher and say, feel free to send me back to that store.

Q: I’m a student at San Francisco University, and I have a lot of people who are fans of you there and they would love it if [?]

A: The best way to get me to places like that is if you have a local science fiction convention. If you have them invite me as the guest of honor, I do that sort of a lot, like I do [VegCon?]

Q: I’m planning on going to [VegCon? WorldCon?], so-

A: Cool! Something about the Hugo’s? It’s a civic responsibility if you’re going to WorldCon.

Q: Well, I feel like-

A: I’m not saying you have to vote for me, just saying that you have to vote.

Q: I’m concerned that that bloodthirsty sword is off on his own again

A: He, ah, he is, he is in dangerous hands right now, let’s just say that

Q: Yeah, untrustworthy hands.

A: Yes, yes he is.

[43:14]

Q: Does Sazed talk to Wax when he has that thing in his ear, when he’s praying?

A: Um, yes.

Q: Aha! Yes! Uh, ok, second thing. My brother and I have been debating about Hoid and how he got his abilities. We have a couple theories. One of them is Hemalurgy.

A: Ok…

Q: The other has to do with the portals into the worlds themselves, because the birds in Sixth of Dusk-

A: Ok, he does not have Hemalurgy. He has powers that predate the Shattering of Adonalsium. Not all of his powers predate, but he does have powers that predate.

Q: Ok, so I was wrong on both counts then… Am I wrong on both counts?

A: I’m not saying that. I’m saying that he has powers that predate, and has gained powers since.

[44:51]

Q: I actually have a few questions. I figure most of them will be RAFO, but I might as well try. In [shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell], that one? The Evil that destroyed the Homeland, was that Odium [killing?] a Shard? Or was that someone else-

A: RAFO

Q: Are we going to see more of that world?

Q: Sweet!

A: Thredony is the name of that world.

Q: I’ll make sure to write that down somewhere. I really liked Silence, by the way. She was awesome. Are we going to find out who brought Nightblood to Roshar?

Q: Cool. I’m not going to bother asking who did right now. With Syl being able to be revived, is Adolin ever going to be able to revive his own blade, or-

A: Ah, that would be very difficult, as the orig-, in most cases, the original person who broke the oaths has to be the one.

Q: Ok. Do you have to have done the third oath before you can convert your spren into a Blade?

A: Uh, in most orders, yes.

Q: What about Shallan then? Did she do it, cause she was a kid when she first-

A: Um… You will find out more.

Q: Cool. The other big one that I had was, um, how far ahead in the timeline is Sixth of Dusk?

A: Pretty far.

Q: … kind of a general-

A: Most people that I’m writing about now are all dead.

Q: Is it up into the third trilogy of Mistborn?

A: It is that era, yes.

Q: Sweet! That’s what I thought.

A: It might be a little bit before that trilogy, but it’s that era.

Q: I have a final question then, is there a Hoid cameo in Shadows for Silence?

A: I intentionally didn’t put one in, because I didn’t- couldn't come- there was no reason for him to be there, and I didn’t want to be doing it just to do it, if that makes sense, like, the Cosmere isn’t just a bunch of cameos, it is a story within itself.

[47:05]

Q: One thing I wanted to ask about is the [test?] on Emperor’s Soul, are you going to write a bigger one about that?

A: It’s unlikely because I think it works so well as it is. But you will probably see Shai again at some point.

[49:20]

Discussion of Taiwan. The Emperor’s Soul was inspired by his visit to the National Palace.

[51:15]

Q: Do you ever feel that when you are writing becomes forced and what do you do…[?]

A: I write it even when it’s feeling forced when read it over the next day and see if it reads forced.

[53:30]

[someone’s phone disappeared :( ]

[56:00]

Apple employee and they discuss collaboration between Tor and iBooks Store and how someone there must be a fan of Brandon’s b/c they are very accommodating

[The phone reappears!]

[57:20]

Q: My son wants to know...Why is Alcatraz a bad guy but he doesn’t do bad things?

A: He ahm...You can just say to him that Alcatraz is not a bad guy but he has a poor opinion of himself. He has bad self esteem.

[59:35]

Q: Who is your favorite Epic?

A: I would say that Megan is my favorite Epic.

[1:00:00]

Discussion of reading long series, WoT, having too many books on your list, etc

[1:02:05]

Q: What’s Mitosis? Is it available in print?

A: Novelette. They will reprint it. It’s too expensive now.

[1:03:30]

Q: Were you ah, [?] dictionary type thing with Jordan and Harriet? (maybe about getting it signed)

A: I have not done very much of that. It was supposed to be Harriet’s thing. But she won’t tour again.

[1:05:05]

Q: Are you going to complete any series or just continue? ( :P)

A: I will be completing stuff. The Reckoners will be finished fairly soon. I writing the last one right now.

Q: And new Mistborn?

A: And the new Mistborns. We are getting close to the end of that.

[1:05:38]

Q: Why can you never find the fourth book in the Alcatraz series?

A: Because the fourth book had the lowest distribution and was not printed in paperback. And so.. but the reprints of those -- the new ones that Tor is doing -- I’ve seen the covers and they’re awesome. They’re the first time I’ve gotten good covers on an Alcatraz book. So I’m very excited about those.

Q: You did like [name]’s covers?

A: No I thought they were terrible. The first one wasn’t bad. I was ok with the first one. But they got progressively worse I felt.

[1:06:54]

Q: What book has inspired you the most?

A: Les Miserables. I love Victor Hugo’s writing style. His use of character and his use of language.

[1:08:00]

Discussion of Clayton’s bookstore and comedy in Warbreaker. “I feel that a great book is going to have a wide range of emotions. And so I try to stick various different ones in.”

[1:11:20]

Discussion of Saudi Arabia and how he’s going to UAE this summer.

[1:12:50]

Q: What influenced your characters in Steelheart? Comic books? Specific ones?

A: I’ve read a lot of comics. Watchman influences everyone. Kingdom Come - one of first that really made me think about comics. The original Turtles. Graphic novels (self contained) like the Killing Joke.

[1:13:35]

Q: From the very beginning did you already know like the Cosmere? Like was that your goal setting out?

A: It was my goal very early on. In fact, before I wrote any books I wrote a short story about Hoid. So he goes back to before the very first book that I wrote. So yeah it goes back pretty far. I can trace inspirations back to Asimov tying Foundation and Robots together and feeling like that was really cool and wanting to do something like that, if it makes sense. And so I would say that’s probably like the first seed was when I read the later Foundation books and they tied them together.

[1:14:35]

Q: What books you use to improve your own writing?

A: Orson Scott Card’s books. Stephen King’s book is very good. Improves more when I read writing I admire and ask myself what they did well. Anne McCaffery for example.

[1:15:35]

Discussion of Brandon’s comments on perfectionism and creativity.

[1:16:38]

How’d you get the idea for Steelheart?

[1:18:43]

Q: I was reading stuff online about like a Mistborn videogame…

A: Yeah, we’ll still working on it. It’s taking much longer than we thought. The developer the producer of the game and I had chosen -- they, ah, had a falling out and split and so we had to start over from scratch and that’s what really threw us for a loop. We then took it to a really prestigious one game company that I love and they considered it for a long time, but it turned out that they just didn’t have the time and couldn’t do it. So now we are kind of back to square one finding a third group to do it.

[1:19:20]

Discussion of touring to Turkey. (It’s a bit far) He’ll eventually be touring the UAE (sometime this year?)

[1:24:25]

Q: I’ve been trying to figure out how to make an Alethi dress without making the safehand pouch look lumpy.

A: People online have done it. Make it tighter.  Also it looks natural in-world.

Q: I had a question about how the Alethi women exhibit their wealth through their dresses. So I know there’s embroidery in the fabric [that your’re kinda disabling one arm?]

A: So the gemstones -- like well cut gemstones and then fill them with Stormlight. The glowing is how they’d shown off their wealth.

Q: What kind of embroidery is it? Flowers? Patterns?

A: It is a lot of things but the Alethi’s don’t do the flower thing....It’s not really an Alethi thing. So you are seeing a lot of designs and hatchings. They may look a little Arabic to you. Or the glyphs and things like that you will see worked in but very stylized.

[1:26:26]

Q: Worldbringers and Worldsingers -- similar mission?

A: The similarity of the names is intentional.

Q: Similar origin?

Q: Did Hoid start them?

A: That’s a RAFO. That’s a RAFO, but definitely they have a similar origin.

[1:27:00]

Q: Do you always stick to your outline?

A: I do not. I will rebuild my outline. If I think I’m gonna break it, I’ll try a chapter that direction and if it works rewrite the outline.

Q: Do you ever refer back to your previous book …?

A: Definitely. Usually I make an outline for the first book, write it, then outline the series.

[1:28:15]

Who’s fav Epic? Megan.

[1:29:35]

Q: What’s the secret to getting books out as fast as you do?

A: The secret is my work ethic. Pioneer work ethic. Pat is a perfectionist. I get it pretty good and hand it to my editor to polish. His biggest strength over me is his lyrical prose. That extra 1% takes him two years. I love what I do and I write every day.

[1:31:35]

Q: If you electrified metal would that have any impact on being able to Steelpush or Ironpull it?

A: I do not currently have that as an effect. That interfering with it requires Investiture. And electrifying is not Investiture. So no it would not. In fact, I’m absolutely sure it will not because the plans call for that to be a possibility they are doing in the future.

Q: Can a kandra burn things...could they burn lerasium...and if they did would they be able to burn other things?

A: Yes that is possible. It is even plausible that an kandra could gain other powers, they just don’t know how to do it.

Raw audio: soundcloud

Edit: Added link to raw audio in case someone want to look up something or double check.

Edited by EnaMai

Having lived in Alabama/Mississippi for two years, my experience was that "y'all" could be used either way.  The wiki article says that there is "long-standing disagreement" on this issue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y%27all

While y'all is the southern second-person pronoun, nobody realizes that they also have four different third person masculine singulars!  "Him", "you", "that", and "that there".