Favorite cosmere character quote!

Sylfan

"That's your own damned opinion," Cett said, smiling. "And, you really shouldn't be complaining, Emperor. If you think the things I say are vulgar, you've been living in Luthadel far too long. Where I come from, people are embarrassed to use pretty words like 'damnation.' "

"What is a man's life worth?' Dalinar asked softly. 

"The slavemasters say one is worth about two emerald broams," Kalidan said, frowning. 

"And what do you say?" 

"A life is priceless," he said immediately, quoting his father.  

Dalinar smiled, wrinkle lines extending from the corners of his eyes. "Coincidentally, that is the exact same value of a Shardblade. So today, you and your men sacrificed to buy me twenty-six hundred priceless lives. And all I had to repay you with was a single priceless sword. I call that a bargain."

Why, oh why did I forget this this first time? Absolutely my favorite moment. 

And you, Dawnwielder, have good taste. 

"Dumb luck, as in I'm lucky you are all so dumb."

Hoid is so great, I feel like he constantly has these moments in his head where he's like:

"It's been millennia, does taking the piss out of literally every person I ever meet get old?(Gleefully annoys Jasnah)..No, no it doesn't"

Edited by Slater

Almost everything that Wayne or the Lopen say is gold, but this one got stuck in my head for good:

“Sure,” Lopen said from behind them. “Just go ahead and leave the Herdazian stuck to the wall. The view here is wonderful. Oh, and is that slime running down my cheek? A fresh new look for the Lopen, who cannot brush it away, because—have I mentioned?—his hand is stuck to the wall.”
Kaladin smiled, walking over. “You were the one who asked me to stick you to a wall in the first place, Lopen.”
“My other hand?” Lopen said. “The one that was cut off long ago, eaten by a fearsome beast? It is making a rude gesture toward you right now. I thought you would wish to know, so that you can prepare to be insulted.”

“Scoot,” Lightsong said, giving the man a pointed look, “if there’s one thing you can trust me to do competently on my own, it’s enjoy myself.  I will--I promise in all solemnity--have a ravishingly good time drinking to excess and watching these nice men light things on fire.  Now go be with your family.”            

Llarimar paused, then stood, bowed, and withdrew.

This is painful on rereads.

Spook shook his head. "No," he said, folding up the little slip of paper and putting it in his pocket. "No, I'm not troubled. In fact, I actually think everything is going to be alright. Finally."

That Spook got the ending of Mistborn really pleased me, he is my all-time favorite character. Just can't help praise anything and everything he has done.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

"I ain't grouchy," Teft snapped, "I just have a low threshold for stupidity."

Teft is a man after my own heart.

"What is a man's life worth?' Dalinar asked softly.

"The slavemasters say one is worth about two emerald broams," Kalidan said, frowning.

"And what do you say?"

"A life is priceless," he said immediately, quoting his father.  

Dalinar smiled, wrinkle lines extending from the corners of his eyes. "Coincidentally, that is the exact same value of a Shardblade. So today, you and your men sacrificed to buy me twenty-six hundred priceless lives. And all I had to repay you with was a single priceless sword. I call that a bargain."

This is probably my favorite quote from everything that Brandon has written. This moment was so incredibly awesome and it made me love Dalinar.

"'So . . . You can't go anywhere unless someone carries you, right?' The Thug asked.

Cett grunted.

'Well then,' Ham said, sounding very pleased. "I've got quite a number of philosophical puzzles you might enjoy. . . .'"

This is how I feel when we have extra time in Calculus Lab and I have time to persuade my friends to read Brandon Sanderson.

“Elend: I kind of lost track of time…

Breeze: For two hours?

Elend: There were books involved"

I am pretty sure that we all have felt this moment while reading Brandon Sanderson novels.

"You can change my clothes and my bearing, but you can't change the soul who I am. I'll do what I think is right -and that includes letting the Assembly depose me, if that is their choice"

I had so much respect for Elend here. He made a government, made its laws, and upheld those laws even when it tore him up inside.

"To be of use in even a single burst of flame and sound is worth more than a lifetime of achieving nothing."

I agree with Marasi here. I would rather accomplish something with my life than "merely exist."

"The mark of a great man is one who knows when to set aside the important things in order to accomplish the vital ones"

Even though Tillaume is an idiot, he still has some pretty good lines. 

I would like to add that basically every single Wayne moment is pure gold but I don't have time to be that long-winded.

ALL OF THE YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"There is always another secret" - this will be the defining quote of all cosmere until we get all the books!

"Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey befoe destination"

I love this quote because of the number of ways we can interpret it, just like a quote is supposed to be. It doesn't give a clear meaning, nor is it self-explanatory. Everyone I met has a different interpretation of this quote, apart from the explanation Sanderson gave us. 

Life before death

Living is more important than death. Death should be avoided if at all possible, and should be the main focus for yourself and those under your protection.

Strength before weakness

In the front of a conflict should be the strong. Those who put the weak in the front are cowards.

Journey before destination

While the end goal is important to keep in sight, it means nothing if you do bad things to accomplish it.

That's my analysis of it.

But anyway, here's an awesome (if paraphrased) quote.

"I can't do this. I'm a broken man."

"They all were, silly"

• 2 weeks later...

I think everyone is forgetting the most important quote of all:

"I am a a stick!" - Stick

here are a few others:

"You see the dilemma?" Ham asked. "I see an idiot," Breeze mumbled.

“But you can't kill me, Lord Tyrant. I represent that one thing you've never been able to kill, no matter how hard you try. I am hope.” - Kelsier

“Honor is dead. But I'll see what I can do.” - Kaladin

“I’m so storming pure I practically belch rainbows.” - Lift

This last one is a few paragraphs long but it's so awesome I have to write it out in its entirety:

“I do my duty,” Kal said, studying her. “Where are the rest of your people? That caravan looks as if it’s all Vorin. Also, you look a little spindly for a Horneater.”

“Did you just insult the princess’s weight?” Tyn asked, aghast.

Storms! She was good. She actually managed to produce angerspren with the remark.

Well, nothing to do but soldier on.

“I am offend!” Shallan yelled.

“You have offended Her Highness again!”

Very offend!”

“You’d better apologize.”

“No apologize!” Shallan declared. “Boots!”

Kal leaned back, looking between the two of them, trying to parse what had just been said. “Boots?” he asked.

“Yes,” Shallan said. “I am liking your boots. You will apology with boots.”

“You . . . want my boots?”

“Did you not hear Her Highness?” Tyn asked, arms folded. “Are soldiers of this Dalinar Kholin’s army so disrespectful?”

“I’m not disrespectful,” Kal said. “But I’m not giving her my boots.”

“You insult!” Shallan declared, stepping forward, pointing at him. Stormfather, those horses were enormous! “I will tell all who are to listen! When arriving, I will say, ‘Kholin is stealer of boots and taker of women’s virtue!’”

Kal sputtered. “Virtue!”

“Yes,” Shallan said; then she glanced over to Tyn. “Virtue? No, wrong word. Virture . . . No . . . Vesture. Vesture! Taker of woman’s vesture! That is word I wanted.”

The soldier glanced to his companions, looking confused. Drat, Shallan thought. Good puns are lost on men with poor vocabulary.

“Is no matter,” Shallan said, throwing up her hand. “All will know what you have done in wronging me. You have laid me bare, here in this wilderness. Stripping me! Is an insult to my house and my clan. All will know that Kholin—”

“Oh, stop, stop,” Kal said, reaching down and awkwardly pulling his boot from his foot while on horseback. His sock had a hole in the heel. “Storming woman,” he muttered. He tossed the first boot down to her, then removed the other.

“Your apology is accepted,” Tyn said, fetching the boots.

Any

Anyway it's a pity we can't quote any non-Cosmere books since everything that Alcatraz says is pure gold :)

The Coppermind is full of quotes. Here are some of my favorites.

What you saw belongs to you. A story doesn’t live until it is imagined in someone’s mind.

What does the story mean, then?

It means what you want it to mean. The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon. Too often, we forget that.

- Hoid to Kaladin

Perhaps you should pray to the Almighty for guidance. I hear he has a fondness for slavers. Keeps a special room in Damnation just for you.
— Kaladin to Tvlak

So today, you and your men sacrificed to buy me twenty-six hundred priceless lives. And all I had to repay you with was a single priceless sword. I call that a bargain.

— Dalinar to Kaladin[5]

But you can't kill me, Lord Tyrant. I represent that one thing you've never been able to kill, no matter how hard you try. I am hope. 

—Kelsier to Lord Ruler, last words before death[2]

“Scoot,” Lightsong said, giving the man a pointed look, “if there’s one thing you can trust me to do competently on my own, it’s enjoy myself. I will--I promise in all solemnity--have a ravishingly good time drinking to excess and watching these nice men light things on fire. Now go be with your family.”

Llarimar paused, then stood, bowed, and withdrew.

This is painful on rereads.

. . . oh. Oh.. Now I get what's so painful here.

Not sure if these have already been quoted but here goes....

Lightsong:

"My name is Gagaril," the man said.

"I'm sorry," Lightsong said

The man flushed. "I was named after my father, Your Grace."

"After he what? Spent an unusual amount of time at the local tavern?"

Hoid (paraphrased):

"I needed an objective frame of reference by which to judge the experience of your company. Somewhere between 4 and 5 blows, I place it."

Teft:

"I ain't grouchy, I just have a low threshold for stupidity"

Edited by Bugsy6912

• 2 weeks later...

I do love Wayne's line of: "greet every morning with a smile, that way it will have no idea what you plan to do with it."

But I also love Kelsier's line of: "He forced himself to smile, not out of pleasure, and not out of satisfaction. He smiled despite the grief he felt at the death of his men; he smiled because that was what he did. That was how he proved to himself-and the Lord Ruler- that he wasn't beaten. No, he wasn't going to walk away. He wasn't finished yet. Not by far."

And, the most important:

Stick: "I am a stick." (You go Stick! Don't let Shallan tell you what to do!)

This is probably my favorite warbreaker quote (I might have some of the wording wrong since I am just going to write this from memory):

"Is there some kind of subtext to this conversation? Because you know I don't like subtexts. They give me a headache."

"You're a god. You don't get headaches."

"Well I don't get subtexts either."

Also, iconic Kelsier quote:

"If you’re always on time, it implies that you never have anything better you should be doing."

Edited by Drake Marshall

• 1 year later...