Paidiá Questions Thread

Mrs. Voidus

Again, awesome. :D I think such a race could add some neat diversity to the game.

Would you mind if I did a bit of research on microraptorine dinosaurs, came up with a bit of basic worldbuilding for their physical and psychological details, and then brought them to you for review?

sounds great, thanks for putting in so much effort!

What about Names? Are they normal like George, bob, joe? Or are they Archaic like Nebuchadnezzar, Bartholomew, Zacharias? or something else entirely?

Names would depend on your tribe so it is pretty much up to you. However, In the midpoint books (this game is in prequel time.. I'm aiming high haha) the names are Greek sounding but that is thousands of years after the events in this game. Take from that what you will, be it that maybe Bob might be a little strange, but not unheard of, Bobe might sound like it fits better. 

The point is more that if you are going to call your character Joe, everyone else's name in your tribe shout fit around the sound or type of name like Joe. 

In world everyone speaks the same language, but they each have very different cultures (which you can make up, complete freedom there)

Here's an idea. This could work for the middle or early times.

Backstory: A really bad person gained control of the tribe of the god of medicine. This person came up with a plot to increase their own power by "curing" the land of another tribe.

First, they spread illnesses through the land. They already knew more about diseases than the other tribes did. It wasn't that difficult to figure out how to cultivate a plague rather than prevent it. They could send emmisaries to other tribes, secretly carrying the disease. Because of their medicinal powers, those emmissaries would not be harmed by the disease, and the other tribes didn't know where the disease was coming from.

Next, as other tribes came to the tribe of medicine for help, the healers spread rumors that the plague had been caused by the tribe of pestilence. It wasn't a very difficult deception.

Before long, an alliance was created to make sure the tribe of pestilence didn't try something like this again. Nobody was going to stoop to the level of genocide, but they also weren't going to let the tribe of pestilence run free. Beneath overwhelming odds, the tribe of pestilence surrendered. After other tribes had been hearing rumors for months about how slimy and traitorous the pestlence people were, nobody believed the people they had just conquered when they claimed to be innocent.

The wise and noble tribe of medicine volunteered to watch over the tribe of pestilence. After all, who better to keep another plague from breaking out? Members of the tribe of pestilence were to be watched closely and kept busy.

So far, the plan has worked. The tribe of medicine has their slaves now. But the leader wants power. His/her next part of the plan is to limit birthrates of the pestilence people. It's a less incriminating form of genocide, but still eventually leads to the same result.

With this idea, there can be members of the tribe of pestilence trying to break free from the oppression, members of the tribe of medicine trying to cope with what they're doing, and members of other tribes slowly realizing that they've been played.

It's not a perfect idea, and I'm sure there are a ton of ways we can improve it. What do you guys think?

The one mayor potential problem here is that if I decide to bring in something like the tribe of contracts the plan collapses immediately they get involved.

haha any creature should be fine.The Animal God's people have (at the begining) limited power over the animals and they will do as told, and late time many can be controlled quickly or a few for a long time. So if you wanted to play as an animal it might be easier to play as one from around the tribe's area. As I think the animals in world behave just like regular animals on Earth. For fun's sake, I'm not saying no to a race of intelligent microcaptors because that could be really cool.

Any pure fantasy creatures like dragons in your world?

(You also might want to look into the multiquote function instead of making three seperate posts.)

The one mayor potential problem here is that if I decide to bring in something like the tribe of contracts the plan collapses immediately they get involved.

How so?  I'm not contradicting, I'm just confused.  

How so?  I'm not contradicting, I'm just confused.  

Because you can´t lie to them unless they get sloppy asking questions and you´re really slippery in your answers. Simply asking the infected ambasadors if they have come with any intentions to harm their tribe would uncover their scheme. Schould they somehow manage to cover their tracks until they subjugate the pestilence tribe simply letting them swear on their lfe that they didn´t do it would prove them to be saying the truth.

Any pure fantasy creatures like dragons in your world?

(You also might want to look into the multiquote function instead of making three seperate posts.)

By the end of the wars they probably would have died out but stuff like dragons are definitely possible during the RP.

Because you can´t lie to them unless they get sloppy asking questions and you´re really slippery in your answers. Simply asking the infected ambasadors if they have come with any intentions to harm their tribe would uncover their scheme. Schould they somehow manage to cover their tracks until they subjugate the pestilence tribe simply letting them swear on their lfe that they didn´t do it would prove them to be saying the truth.

Ok.  Well maybe that tribe doesn't live close enough to the tribe of medicine to have been part of the original conflict, but once some of the other tribes start suspecting funny business, they send for help from the tribe of contracts, or something like that.

By the end of the wars they probably would have died out but stuff like dragons are definitely possible during the RP.

Sweet.

Ok.  Well maybe that tribe doesn't live close enough to the tribe of medicine to have been part of the original conflict, but once some of the other tribes start suspecting funny business, they send for help from the tribe of contracts, or something like that.

Sounds like a solution.

An example character sheet

Name: Sacletes
Position: Head hunter
Tribe: Soratian tribe, worships Sorat, the god of the southern desert
Powerset: Sand manipulation capabilities, with a concerted effort of the whole tribe they can conjure up a sandstorm. Water dowsing capabilities.
Culture: The Soratians live deep in the heart of the southern desert, they've outlasted all other desert tribes in the region. Housing for the tribe consists primarily of sandstone dwellings, though these are a recent development and many members still live in old nomadic tent-like structures. Soratian hunters make good use of the poisonous and venomous animals of their homeland, coating their spears in the deadly substances.
A species of giant lizard is prevalent throughout the desert, providing a source of food and labor for the Soratians once they became domesticated.

Something I´ve wondered, could tribesmen with the right domain create artifacts? For exapmle the contract tribe using an object as a focus, so when someone swears, maybe restricted to specific terms, on it they make a deal with the entire tribe. Compounding the magic and creating stronger effects.

Something I´ve wondered, could tribesmen with the right domain create artifacts? For exapmle the contract tribe using an object as a focus, so when someone swears, maybe restricted to specific terms, on it they make a deal with the entire tribe. Compounding the magic and creating stronger effects.

Yes, BUT these objects can only be made by the strongest priests, who ask their God to imbibe the thing with power. It costs a lot of spiritual energy so the priest would be out of action for a while, relative to the import of the contract ie. the number of people it effects or the amount of time it covers. More priests would be needed to request larger artifacts. 

Yes, BUT these objects can only be made by the strongest priests, who ask their God to imbibe the thing with power. It costs a lot of spiritual energy so the priest would be out of action for a while, relative to the import of the contract ie. the number of people it effects or the amount of time it covers. More priests would be needed to request larger artifacts. 

Would those artifacts be one-shots?

Would those artifacts be one-shots?

'A multi-use artifact could be made, although with corresponding difficulty in creation.'

Can I join? Also, what type of solar system is this planet in? How many moons? What sort of atmosphere? What sort of gravity?

It's relatively earth-like, same type sun, 1 moon, gas giants to attract asteroids, gravity's more or less the same although it has a higher oxygen level to sustain certain megafauna.

What tribes can I make my character be from?

Whatever you want really, I think we're setting it around early-mid timeline so there'll be a bit under 100 per continent. We might post some options for people who want but if you have any ideas just check first but pretty much it's up to the players.

Name: Chyra 
Position: Former Soldier, turned slave for Medicine
Tribe: Pathona, worships the God Pathos (Tribe of Pestillence) 
Powerset: If working with a large group (or small, depending on severity) can cause sickness. 
Culture: 

They live in a mountain whose top was shaved off. The buildings are hollows made of stone, carved from the Half-Mountain. They speak to an ununheard beat which goes beat pause beat beat pause beat. It speeds up and slows down depending on the mood of the Pathonian. They carved statues of Pathos out of the stone. The building, or hollow, in the center of the Half-Mountain is the shrine to Pathos. The holes with trap doors to get into the hollows are arranged in a pattern that's arranged in the shape of a symmetrical flower. There are eight lines of symetry in this flower. It is unique to Paidiá.These flowers grow on the ground around the Half-Mountain. There are no walls around the Half-Mountain but the Pathonians are the only people who are strong enough to manage the constant climbing. There are a species of animals that are similar to reindeer, but their horns are black and a lot larger with thicker furs and a reddish color. The Pathonians hunt the caliodeer (that's the name of the species) for their horns, which they use as weapons, and for their furs, which they use to keep warm. It gets cold in Winters of the Half-Mountain. They carve their history into the walls of the tunnel. They are not as active as hunting down tribes around them because if tribes attack them, the plagues that they unleash can be nightmareish. The Half-Mountain has fewer tribes around them than others. The tribes that are in the area are destroyed by plagues that spread like nightmares. The Pathonians would hunt down other tribes but if they go too far away from the Half-Mountain they lose communications with Pathos. They use statues of stone that are in Pathos's likeness to bind their God to them. The land is the power. However, that was not taking into account the tribe of medicine... After the Enslavement, the powers of the Pathonians were severely weakened. The Half-Mountain was destroyed, all writings wrote over and statues smashed. Pathos is barely holding on to existence. 

Alright, so I´ve taken a liking to the contract idea. Before going and writting up a bio I wanted to ask some questions about the power scale. How much would it be okay for a single person to do? Things like forcing someone to say the truth and how much they could compel someone to hold the end of their bargain. Would it be more feasible to force them doing it per mind control effects or having them swear on their life, with a break in contract either causing some kind of magical heart attack or again magical compelling them to commit suicide.

My character:

Name: Cormic (Pronounced Core-mick)
Position: New Operative (See below)
Tribe: The Moon Tribe
Powerset: Prediction, Darkvision, and Innate sense of Direction.

Culture: The moon tribe are a nocturnal bunch, preferring the cool of the night to the beating heat of the Sun. Their Important meetings and events happen when the Moon brightens the sky, and as such they've gotten used to sleeping during the day. They've named many things after different aspects of the moon, such as New Operatives, the Highly trained Elite men and women responsible for keeping the tribe at peace with their names. They're named for the New Phase of the Moon, when all is dark. They report only to the High priest of the Moon tribe.

Name: Chyra 

Position: Former Soldier, turned slave for Medicine

Tribe: Pathona, worships the God Pathos (Tribe of Pestillence) 

Powerset: If working with a large group (or small, depending on severity) can cause sickness. 

Culture: 

They live in a mountain whose top was shaved off. The buildings are hollows made of stone, carved from the Half-Mountain. They speak to an ununheard beat which goes beat pause beat beat pause beat. It speeds up and slows down depending on the mood of the Pathonian. They carved statues of Pathos out of the stone. The building, or hollow, in the center of the Half-Mountain is the shrine to Pathos. The holes with trap doors to get into the hollows are arranged in a pattern that's arranged in the shape of a symmetrical flower. There are eight lines of symetry in this flower. It is unique to Paidiá.These flowers grow on the ground around the Half-Mountain. There are no walls around the Half-Mountain but the Pathonians are the only people who are strong enough to manage the constant climbing. There are a species of animals that are similar to reindeer, but their horns are black and a lot larger with thicker furs and a reddish color. The Pathonians hunt the caliodeer (that's the name of the species) for their horns, which they use as weapons, and for their furs, which they use to keep warm. It gets cold in Winters of the Half-Mountain. They carve their history into the walls of the tunnel. They are not as active as hunting down tribes around them because if tribes attack them, the plagues that they unleash can be nightmareish. The Half-Mountain has fewer tribes around them than others. The tribes that are in the area are destroyed by plagues that spread like nightmares. The Pathonians would hunt down other tribes but if they go too far away from the Half-Mountain they lose communications with Pathos. They use statues of stone that are in Pathos's likeness to bind their God to them. The land is the power. However, that was not taking into account the tribe of medicine... After the Enslavement, the powers of the Pathonians were severely weakened. The Half-Mountain was destroyed, all writings wrote over and statues smashed. Pathos is barely holding on to existence. 

That sounds great, and it really works that their mountain things were destroyed because there are at this point in game only a hundred or so people per tribe, and it would have taken everyone to build that structure as well as defend it, but they still needed food so it makes sense that they are pretty weak.

Alright, so I´ve taken a liking to the contract idea. Before going and writting up a bio I wanted to ask some questions about the power scale. How much would it be okay for a single person to do? Things like forcing someone to say the truth and how much they could compel someone to hold the end of their bargain. Would it be more feasible to force them doing it per mind control effects or having them swear on their life, with a break in contract either causing some kind of magical heart attack or again magical compelling them to commit suicide.

Anyone who does not have powers (and even us on earth) can manipulate others into saying what we want them to say, and signing things we don't understand everything about. So an individual in game at this point would - lets say if they were the priest/shaman or whatever -have the strength to prevent someone from acting on something they agreed they would not do. For example, person a gets through whatever means, person B to agree to never intentionally harm person C. Person B would be physically incapable of hurting person C themselves, as well as giving information to others which might lead to person C being hurt and so on. 

I would set a 3 person limit to the number of individual contracts for the strongest person if the contract is to last until the caster's death, or 6 to 10 if the contract is much simpler than the one in the example and is to last for a few months.

Casters can also join together in prayer/ worship and ask for special once off power - and it might be granted (pm me and I'll let you know haha).

My character:

Name: Cormic (Pronounced Core-mick)

Position: New Operative (See below)

Tribe: The Moon Tribe

Powerset: Prediction, Darkvision, and Innate sense of Direction.

Culture: The moon tribe are a nocturnal bunch, preferring the cool of the night to the beating heat of the Sun. Their Important meetings and events happen when the Moon brightens the sky, and as such they've gotten used to sleeping during the day. They've named many things after different aspects of the moon, such as New Operatives, the Highly trained Elite men and women responsible for keeping the tribe at peace with their names. They're named for the New Phase of the Moon, when all is dark. They report only to the High priest of the Moon tribe.

I like it  :) see discussion above for approximate power limitations.