Paidiá Questions Thread

Mrs. Voidus

But what about the gene pools?! If there are tribes with around 100 people and there is no cross-pollination, so to speak, aren't there going to be an abundance of genetic illnesses? 

Yes. But a hundred is more of a genetic bottle neck so there would be some problems, and who knows, this could lead to a tribes downfall if they are unfortunate but not instant death over a generation or two.

But as all people were created by the Gods, they were created without these sorts of issues. Environmental influences can happen, and definitely over time this inbreeding would become a problem, but by the time it does, I sort of figured that that was when most tribes were dead (and things happen) so inter tribal mingling became encouraged to promote peace. 

Though you are right in that some tribes would die out because mutation in cells can happen, and so over time, diseases that can be passed on might develop but that would/ could happen over a long time, and by then only one branch of the tribe would have it, not all, so that branch would die out and some of the others would not. 

To be honest there is only a span of a couple of thousand years of existence before intermingling and those tribes which had genetic problems would be dead and could not pass on these problems to the new groups :)

Edited by Mrs. Voidus

I would also lean towards mid-early but we will see what the majority wants. Life to the dead as far as I have thought about it is that the priests and priestesses ask the God of Life to reanimate the bodies of the dead, which can be controlled by those priests (hereafter meaning both gendered) but it has no working mind or intelligence as that is in this world to do with the soul, and the soul has passed onto another person already. A new soul can not be put into a dead body, only movement. The strength of the body depends partly on the amount of muscle left on the bones, and partly on the amount of power the God can grant to the priest controlling the body. 

Absolutely rhythm would be possible, I would very much like to see that. 

To clear something else up, while the Gods made people in their own images, the prototype as it were remains constant, as we humans need to be the way we are (mostly) just to survive on Earth, so it is on this made up planet. And as the Gods have no physical bodies, image here means power, personality, essence and so on.

Zombie slaves, got it.

Muhaha, magical sudden Cardiac Death unlocked. :ph34r:

Could people cereate a new god by splitting off and creating a new tribe?

Zombie slaves, got it.

Muhaha, magical sudden Cardiac Death unlocked. :ph34r:

Could people cereate a new god by splitting off and creating a new tribe?

Ooooh I like it haha. Though range may be something we need to have a little chattet about. 

No. No new Gods can be created just by worshipping a thing. Wording is careful there for a reason SUBTLE HHHHIIIIINNNNNNT. 

Life God did not exist before more senior Gods decided to make life, she is a byproduct as well as reason for peoples' existence. She is harder to kill because as we all know plants are alive as are animals so those groups would also have to be killed. She is simultaneously, for this reason very very powerful but also hated. 

Can people convert to worshipping another god, and defect to that tribe?

Yes, though they do not gain that tribes powers. And not many tribes would take someone in. And, while your character might (which would be A OK), as there are real God, and they communicate with their people, conversions would also be very uncommon. So go right ahead, but that is just some food for thought as to how everyone else in world would react. 

Yes, though they do not gain that tribes powers. And not many tribes would take someone in. And, while your character might (which would be A OK), as there are real God, and they communicate with their people, conversions would also be very uncommon. So go right ahead, but that is just some food for thought as to how everyone else in world would react. 

So if everybody from tribe A is either killed or converts to tribe B, the god of tribe A dies. If one of the converts then dies, are they (1) reincarnated as a full member of tribe B who can use the powers of tribe B, (2) reincarnated as a lesser member of tribe B who still cannot use the powers, or (3) dead forever?

So if everybody from tribe A is either killed or converts to tribe B, the god of tribe A dies. If one of the converts then dies, are they (1) reincarnated as a full member of tribe B who can use the powers of tribe B, (2) reincarnated as a lesser member of tribe B who still cannot use the powers, or (3) dead forever?

I like the way you think! 

Logically I would go with, dead forever. Their soul was made from the first God, who does not exist. 

There would also be a possible (but I'm only thinking of it now) effect that if their God has no followers and dies, then the person who has converted would become a mindless husk, because following the worlds laws of life an reanimation, the soul is linked to controlled action, and the soul is a direct gift from a God. And if the God no longer exists, then it can not be represented.

Bonus for late game play, those children who come from two tribes (ie. a parent from each tribe) would have the innate ability to use both magical abilities. Though these would be weaker that if they only had one power, as the body can only hold so much. (again, cleverness can overcome this limitation).

BUT if the guy who converted had a kid with a woman from a new tribe, and the God died that child would also no longer be able to function because half of its soul is corrupted.

Edited by Mrs. Voidus

Ooooh I like it haha. Though range may be something we need to have a little chattet about. 

No. No new Gods can be created just by worshipping a thing. Wording is careful there for a reason SUBTLE HHHHIIIIINNNNNNT. 

Life God did not exist before more senior Gods decided to make life, she is a byproduct as well as reason for peoples' existence. She is harder to kill because as we all know plants are alive as are animals so those groups would also have to be killed. She is simultaneously, for this reason very very powerful but also hated. 

And so fails my plan fo complete OPness. Oh well, I shall settle for mind-control through subliminal messages instead. :P On a less humorous note, is something like emotions, mind-control or concepts like law a possible domain.

And so fails my plan fo complete OPness. Oh well, I shall settle for mind-control through subliminal messages instead. :P On a less humorous note, is something like emotions, mind-control or concepts like law a possible domain.

Yes. Though characters whose Gods share similar existence are harder to control. I don't know if I will use them in book, but for the RP, go for it!

Yes. Though characters whose Gods share similar existence are harder to control. I don't know if I will use them in book, but for the RP, go for it!

Could you maybe give some examples for what counts as a "similar exsistence" with examples like rhythem and law?

Could you maybe give some examples for what counts as a "similar exsistence" with examples like rhythem and law?

Sure thing. Ok, well technically rhythm people would have difficulty against those who use/ can manipulate light or sound, as those things function through constant patterns which can be read as a rhythm. And in a battle type scenario, a rhythm soldier MIGHT be able to stop the heart beats of a person from the blood tribe, but that tribe might not die from it, as they can control their own blood and can keep it flowing. However, just because everyone has magic does not mean that they all know how to use it to the best of their abilities. The Gods do commune this information to the people but people are more creative/ violent and it is the priests who the Gods commune with.

So a rhythm soldier might be able to kill a few children or workers from the blood tribe (as people still need to eat and someone has to get food and does not therefore have time to train as a priest or soldier) but probably not the preists or soldiers. Does that make sense? The scene would be in your full power and you can kill whomever you want of course, you just might have to think of some different attacks.

Law... hmmm. Well I don't know how these could be used, but concepts in reality which are similar to law are justice, punishment, order/ chaos. I don't know about limitations for that one, sorry! But boy am I curious to know what powers you have up your sleeve. I should probably say that having power over law, doesn't allow domination over the laws of physics as the Gods would not have 1. allowed the humans so much power, and 2. been so stupid to let the humans have any chance of destroying the universe by accident. 

Hope that doesn't put any dents in your character creation. 

At this point I´m just throwing around ideas.

What might be easier to pull of in practise could be contracts instead of law, as in holding people to their word ect.

Sure, I like that one. especially if you used it in conjunction with torture or tricking people into saying things. Cool Idea Edge.

Sure, I like that one. especially if you used it in conjunction with torture or tricking people into saying things. Cool Idea Edge.

I find it telling how the first application people think of when I propose a power is torture. <_< Anyway, I´ll take the compliment. :P

This looks awesome! :D I love the central concept of gods whose survival depends on their worshippers. There are a wealth of fascinating scenarios that could come from this, ranging from subtle divine intervention to miracles to outright deicide.

Just a quick question on my part. You mentioned on the first page that playing as non-human creatures might be allowed. If this winds up being the case, what kind of creatures might I have the option of choosing from? Wolves or tigers? Dolphins, perhaps? A race of intelligent microraptors worshiping The Feathered Goddess?

This looks awesome! :D I love the central concept of gods whose survival depends on their worshippers. There are a wealth of fascinating scenarios that could come from this, ranging from subtle divine intervention to miracles to outright deicide.

Just a quick question on my part. You mentioned on the first page that playing as non-human creatures might be allowed. If this winds up being the case, what kind of creatures might I have the option of choosing from? Wolves or tigers? Dolphins, perhaps? A race of intelligent microraptors worshiping The Feathered Goddess?

Mrs. Voidus is asleep right now and I don't remember discussing anything other than pterosaurs but I would love for it to turn out that Wes is secretly an interdimensional traveler :P

I'm fairly sure that Wolves, Tigers and Dolphins exist though, although possibly in slightly different forms for example, larger variants.

Here's an idea. This could work for the middle or early times.

Backstory: A really bad person gained control of the tribe of the god of medicine. This person came up with a plot to increase their own power by "curing" the land of another tribe.

First, they spread illnesses through the land. They already knew more about diseases than the other tribes did. It wasn't that difficult to figure out how to cultivate a plague rather than prevent it. They could send emmisaries to other tribes, secretly carrying the disease. Because of their medicinal powers, those emmissaries would not be harmed by the disease, and the other tribes didn't know where the disease was coming from.

Next, as other tribes came to the tribe of medicine for help, the healers spread rumors that the plague had been caused by the tribe of pestilence. It wasn't a very difficult deception.

Before long, an alliance was created to make sure the tribe of pestilence didn't try something like this again. Nobody was going to stoop to the level of genocide, but they also weren't going to let the tribe of pestilence run free. Beneath overwhelming odds, the tribe of pestilence surrendered. After other tribes had been hearing rumors for months about how slimy and traitorous the pestlence people were, nobody believed the people they had just conquered when they claimed to be innocent.

The wise and noble tribe of medicine volunteered to watch over the tribe of pestilence. After all, who better to keep another plague from breaking out? Members of the tribe of pestilence were to be watched closely and kept busy.

So far, the plan has worked. The tribe of medicine has their slaves now. But the leader wants power. His/her next part of the plan is to limit birthrates of the pestilence people. It's a less incriminating form of genocide, but still eventually leads to the same result.

With this idea, there can be members of the tribe of pestilence trying to break free from the oppression, members of the tribe of medicine trying to cope with what they're doing, and members of other tribes slowly realizing that they've been played.

It's not a perfect idea, and I'm sure there are a ton of ways we can improve it. What do you guys think?

haha any creature should be fine.The Animal God's people have (at the begining) limited power over the animals and they will do as told, and late time many can be controlled quickly or a few for a long time. So if you wanted to play as an animal it might be easier to play as one from around the tribe's area. As I think the animals in world behave just like regular animals on Earth. For fun's sake, I'm not saying no to a race of intelligent microcaptors because that could be really cool.

Here's an idea. This could work for the middle or early times.

Backstory: A really bad person gained control of the tribe of the god of medicine. This person came up with a plot to increase their own power by "curing" the land of another tribe.

First, they spread illnesses through the land. They already knew more about diseases than the other tribes did. It wasn't that difficult to figure out how to cultivate a plague rather than prevent it. They could send emmisaries to other tribes, secretly carrying the disease. Because of their medicinal powers, those emmissaries would not be harmed by the disease, and the other tribes didn't know where the disease was coming from.

Next, as other tribes came to the tribe of medicine for help, the healers spread rumors that the plague had been caused by the tribe of pestilence. It wasn't a very difficult deception.

Before long, an alliance was created to make sure the tribe of pestilence didn't try something like this again. Nobody was going to stoop to the level of genocide, but they also weren't going to let the tribe of pestilence run free. Beneath overwhelming odds, the tribe of pestilence surrendered. After other tribes had been hearing rumors for months about how slimy and traitorous the pestlence people were, nobody believed the people they had just conquered when they claimed to be innocent.

The wise and noble tribe of medicine volunteered to watch over the tribe of pestilence. After all, who better to keep another plague from breaking out? Members of the tribe of pestilence were to be watched closely and kept busy.

So far, the plan has worked. The tribe of medicine has their slaves now. But the leader wants power. His/her next part of the plan is to limit birthrates of the pestilence people. It's a less incriminating form of genocide, but still eventually leads to the same result.

With this idea, there can be members of the tribe of pestilence trying to break free from the oppression, members of the tribe of medicine trying to cope with what they're doing, and members of other tribes slowly realizing that they've been played.

It's not a perfect idea, and I'm sure there are a ton of ways we can improve it. What do you guys think?

Excellent work! Yeah I love it, now all we need is some more discussion on the time period this should start in and we are ready to go :D

So The Moon Tribe mainly lays traps for the other tribes? Does that include tricking them into warring on different tribes? If so, I'd  love to be a moon priest.

Trickery, sabotage and prediction are all things the moon priests can do because astrology is real in world and so with correct starting information, they could know what was going on at all times. However it is limited to only a tribe or two at a time for the beginning stage, and is the intelligence gathered was wrong, so too will be the predictions. I like the moon priests the best too

So yes, tricking a tribe to attack another is well within any characters rights (well for us) but the moon priests would have much better ability at doing so.

Edited by Mrs. Voidus

haha any creature should be fine.The Animal God's people have (at the begining) limited power over the animals and they will do as told, and late time many can be controlled quickly or a few for a long time. So if you wanted to play as an animal it might be easier to play as one from around the tribe's area. As I think the animals in world behave just like regular animals on Earth. For fun's sake, I'm not saying no to a race of intelligent microcaptors because that could be really cool.

Really? Cool! :D

How exactly could a race of microraptors work? Would they function as animals under a generic animal god, or could they be a full Tribe with their own god or goddess? Could they use magic?

Really? Cool! :D

How exactly could a race of microraptors work? Would they function as animals under a generic animal god, or could they be a full Tribe with their own god or goddess? Could they use magic?

In book, they are just animals, but I think it works logically in this game world that they could also worship a specific god and all that jazz, only they would survive if their God died because they were not made to represent their God, they were just made. But lets just say they were made to be quite intelligent. 

In book, they are just animals, but I think it works logically in this game world that they could also worship a specific god and all that jazz, only they would survive if their God died because they were not made to represent their God, they were just made. But lets just say they were made to be quite intelligent. 

Again, awesome. :D I think such a race could add some neat diversity to the game.

Would you mind if I did a bit of research on microraptorine dinosaurs, came up with a bit of basic worldbuilding for their physical and psychological details, and then brought them to you for review?