Paidiá Questions Thread

Mrs. Voidus

The following is the information and discussion thread for what I hope will become a fun role play set in the world of the fantasy novels I am working on.

Paidiá is a world divided into three continents with the majority of these having the climate and wildlife of the Mediteranian. There is no map as yet so players will have a heck of a lot of freedom with descriptions. 

The premise in essence is that Gods do exist in a complicated hierarchy and they have their own creations such as types of plants, bodies of water, death, dirt, and human concepts ie love. Pretty much anything you can think of, there was a god for it. Each God also made a tribe of people who were reflections of their God and had some powers over their relative God's domain. 

The people did not live in peace at any time, as the Gods themselves were fickle and fought with each other (basically think of any story of Egyptian or Greek pantheons) to try to assert dominance over one another.

The Gods gave their people reincarnation, in which all their memories and knowledge of skills were retained after death. But this re-birth cycle was limited to 5 lives so that the people would not someday compete with the Gods. 

However, the Gods did not want all people from other tribes to die, because when no one remains of a tribe, the God dies with it and its power or essence or whatever is released and strengthens the remaining gods of that type. (For an example, the God of the Rhine river dies, the God and people of the neighbouring river had greater strength of control over all water then before.) This is also because the people no longer have to fight for the resource and can focus on breeding and building up their little village.

The people grew smarter with the way they used their powers as weapons and over time there came to be only 9 Gods left (as yet un-named); Moon, life, animals, fire, water, minerals, air, sun, and nature. 

There were appointed great generals who could directly commune with the gods. 

In this RP there will be no ridiculously op powers such as being able to blow up a whole city but I am sticking in the novels to what seems to be Brandon's deal of set rules about the magic and if you want to be clever and be op by manipulating the world within the logical confines of the rules, go nuts.

In the blowing up a city scenario, you might have control over fire in a limited range because there is as yet only a small number of people in their tribe and so the Gods' power is not as large as if two tribes worshipped him. In other words a God's power is equal to the number of people who worship it, which explains the God death. 

So a limited fire user could either torch some woven baskets and start a house fire, or collaborate with another tribe to discover a natural gas pool under a city and set that on fire, to blow up everything. 

There are alliances that can be made, and pretty much no limit to who you can play (Gods are ok, I would be interested in what you could do with that) or what powers you have, just talk about it with me first to check that it fits in world. (Voidus can also be asked, as he has heard way more about it than he probably wanted to haha)

I know that is a lot of info (I'm not sure I summed it up very well) so I can answer any questions at all, as I have probably missed heaps of info. But the spirit of this thing is, I hope, a sandbox with cheats mode on - so long as you don't break the game... which is why I would appreciate a quick heads up from you first. 

Have Fun!!!!

Also, we can all work out the time this is set before starting. Beginning at very small tribes and a squillion Gods, to 16 or so and larger towns. 

Sign me Up! Mr. Voidus mentioned this took place on a World of three continents? Is that correct?

Yeppers! There are ways of crossing this boundary if you wished. The animals are pretty closely related to existing animals with some pre-historic ones thrown in there... Pterosaurs are both wild and tamed (and trainable if you catch my drift) depending on where you live. 

The battles would - if we chose an earlier timeline - consist of same continent skirmishes as it would be pretty unlikely that a tribe would risk everything and move continents or even have the time to scout.

If it all happens later, then cross continental battles may happen, so long as the 9 gods stay alive.

This looks really cool! I'm currently trying to cut back on my time commitments right now, or else I'd volunteer to be part of the RP. But I'll certainly try to contribute by asking questions about the world.

First question: How many tribes are left during the present day? And how are they distributed?

This looks really cool! I'm currently trying to cut back on my time commitments right now, or else I'd volunteer to be part of the RP. But I'll certainly try to contribute by asking questions about the world.

First question: How many tribes are left during the present day? And how are they distributed?

No worries, thanks anyway for your contribution. That depends of what you mean by present day. In my mind this whole RP is in the past as its a prequel, so do you mean at the end of it, or the beginning?  

During the time of the RP? We haven't settled on a time yet for the RP to take place, it could take place at the beginning with a few thousand tribes across the three continents or it could occur later when each continent's down to the last 10 or so. Eventually there's only 3 left on each continent and they form alliances and wage inter-continental warfare.

What's the size range of each Tribe? How small can a tribe be? Does each tribe have it's own language?

Are there any gods that share a domain? Can a person become a god? Can a God take physical form in battles? Can a God become Human? Can a God Kill another god?

Are there any smaller islands? Is there a character limit? Are all characters Human? Is the continent the RP happens on all one terrain or varied terrain? Is magic available to everyone? Can a Magic user betray their god without the god knowing it and still keep their power?

Just a few questions.

Edited by The Only Joe

Cool stuff!

Ok. So if this is all in the past, how long in the past do you see this as happening?

The books are based throughout the whole time, but focusing on the final 10 or so tribes of each continent, because it ends with the Gods protecting their own existence by taking away their people's powers and memories from re-incarnation. 

This could be cool at any point, depending on what the majority think. 

I suppose I could divide it into three choices, early time with very very open choices on what your powers are but you would have to be more creative with how you use them as they are low power.

2nd option, mid game, with say a hundred villages much stronger power and range

or 3rd option, player's people die off and we skip ahead in time at agreed points to see what repercussions this brings.

Up for debate as of now

Edited by Mrs. Voidus

How does the reincarnation work?  If you die and you haven't already used up your five reincarnations, are you born as a baby without any memory loss?  

So you get a set of 5 Reincarnations where you keep your memories upon death, being reincarnated into a baby. After those five you lose all memory of those lives and start again from scratch. Due to certain things such as brain development even though babies have all memory of their past lives they still act more or less like babies, although they have an accelerated learning rate.

So they'd act like a more mature child but for example just because they have the memories of an adult in a teenage body doesn't change the hormones going through their bodies so they'd still act quite a lot like teenagers. So at about age 21/22 they've reached their peak physical and mental growth so they'd act like their old selves again.

So you get a set of 5 Reincarnations where you keep your memories upon death, being reincarnated into a baby. After those five you lose all memory of those lives and start again from scratch. Due to certain things such as brain development even though babies have all memory of their past lives they still act more or less like babies, although they have an accelerated learning rate.

So they'd act like a more mature child but for example just because they have the memories of an adult in a teenage body doesn't change the hormones going through their bodies so they'd still act quite a lot like teenagers. So at about age 21/22 they've reached their peak physical and mental growth so they'd act like their old selves again.

So what would happen if the population reaches the whole amout of reincarnates, would the new child also get incarnations, die normally or would no new people be born until someone dies. Also when someone reincarnates for the sixth time and has to start from scratch, would they still carry over some essentials like their personality, for that matter does a personality get carried together with meomories in normal reincarnations or could a villain turn into a hero after dieing?

What's the size range of each Tribe?  Begining a hundred or so, middle a thousand, end 100s of thousands... exponential growth with defeat of other tribes. How small can a tribe be? If it is at full strength a hundred, if under a lot of constant fire, more like 60ish. Extrapolate for timelines. Does each tribe have it's own language? No, language is universal as the Gods are all many from one and speak to each other. Though codes and slang can happen.

Are there any gods that share a domain? There are gods who share similar domains but they do not share the same thing. A forest tribe worships the God of that forrest, which can grow outwards if there is no competition and a high birth rate to death rate.  Can a person become a god? No, not as far as anyone knows. The Gods have deliberately put up restrictions to their creations to prevent this.  Can a God take physical form in battles? No, but they can give parts of themselves to a particular person who they think is a particularly impressive specimen that represents the God. This happens in the books, and players of this RP might be given this power, depending if I think it fits.  Can a God become Human? No Can a God Kill another god? Not directly, but they can give strength to their tribesmen to kill of the tribe of the God they are fighting against. When all people of that God dies, so does the God.

Are there any smaller islands? Could be. Why not. But not too far off shore. Is there a character limit? No, but I would appreciate it if you ran them by me first :) Are all characters Human? No, you could play as a God or a creature, but again check with me first because you might not be able to react and influence the world in the way you might want to and the way other players will should they choose human. Is the continent the RP happens on all one terrain or varied terrain? Varied. This is one of the areas where the players will have the most freedom. Is magic available to everyone? Yes. Can a Magic user betray their god without the god knowing it and still keep their power? Good question! Yes, check with me if you have a specific character in mind, as it depends on the God (More details if interested). The God can die if the person no longer worships it completely, and once it is dead, that persons magic will disappear. The Gods can take powers away, (which is the premise of the second lot of books) but it takes all surviving 9 to do so and they do it to all humans, not just one individual. 

Just a few questions.

Edited by Mrs. Voidus

You mentioned playing gods, how would that work? Are we talking about humanoids, eldritch abominations or minds with power but no body here.

Minds but no body. Their will can be expressed to humans, and they can act through humans, but they have no body.

So what would happen if the population reaches the whole amout of reincarnates, would the new child also get incarnations, die normally or would no new people be born until someone dies. Also when someone reincarnates for the sixth time and has to start from scratch, would they still carry over some essentials like their personality, for that matter does a personality get carried together with meomories in normal reincarnations or could a villain turn into a hero after dieing?

New souls are created and those souls get the same 5 reincarnations too so there's no upper population limit. Once a tribe dies out the members' souls don't get reincarnated, they die truly along with their god.

When losing memories no elements carry over, they could have a completely separate personality.

"Anybody in one lifetime could turn from a villain into a hero"-Mrs. Voidus

Other than that though the personality carries over but certain elements of their new life may alter that. (If a thief is reincarnated as a king poverty is no longer a driving factor of their personality, certain bodies contain naturally higher levels of hormones such as adrenaline which may cause a more stressful or aggressive personality)

New souls are created and those souls get the same 5 reincarnations too so there's no upper population limit. Once a tribe dies out the members' souls don't get reincarnated, they die truly along with their god.

When losing memories no elements carry over, they could have a completely separate personality.

"Anybody in one lifetime could turn from a villain into a hero"-Mrs. Voidus

Other than that though the personality carries over but certain elements of their new life may alter that. (If a thief is reincarnated as a king poverty is no longer a driving factor of their personality, certain bodies contain naturally higher levels of hormones such as adrenaline which may cause a more stressful or aggressive personality)

So, they can only be reincarnated through a member of their own tribe?

Also, if there´s someone that´s Nighthound levels of messed up would they kill his reincarnations as soon as possible to give him a fresh start or how would they deal with that?

I vote that we should play it in the early time period when there are a ton of tribes.  That way, there would be a ton of different power options, and we could witness things like plots to destroy tribes.  We could explore how tribes interact when they aren't at war with each other.  With larger tribes, they could stay independent of each other, but with tiny tribes they would need to interact for marriages and for trade.  

So, they can only be reincarnated through a member of their own tribe?

Also, if there´s someone that´s Nighthound levels of messed up would they kill his reincarnations as soon as possible to give him a fresh start or how would they deal with that?

Yes, because otherwise there would elements of sabotage. There is "cross breeding" for lack of a better description once the final 3 alliances are made, but not before. 

What an interesting question. Some tribes might. But he may choose to hide who he is through acting differently and avoiding saying or doing things his old self did. It would be very difficult for the other tribespeople to know who he was otherwise. Other tribes might have ethical or statistical issues with killing a memeber of his own. Eg. Nighthoundesk man/ woman breeds very healthy and numerous babies, or he is a tool bag but generally makes his tribe stronger and is awesome at taking out the competition. Also, if he represents qualities the God of his people like, his God might protect him or give him infinite re-incarnations.... But thats for me to decide :P

I vote that we should play it in the early time period when there are a ton of tribes.  That way, there would be a ton of different power options, and we could witness things like plots to destroy tribes.  We could explore how tribes interact when they aren't at war with each other.  With larger tribes, they could stay independent of each other, but with tiny tribes they would need to interact for marriages and for trade.  

Vote counted haha. But at this point it should be noted that inter-tribal marriages did not happen until late game. 

I will add, 

Magic is not always simply "boom - fireball out of the hands". It can be used by asking the God to direct their power into something, such as Life into the dead or a tree ( which would look like the work of the Nature God but without any control over the living tree). This is a bit of a fiddly bit right now as I and Voidus are very nit-picky and don't want to have something that doesn't work.

Moon God (my favourite) becomes the controlling God of many things which are influenced by the moon, (which you can see leads to conflict with Water God who controls the ocean) he also is the patron God of knowledge and Astrology (which is a legit thing in world). SO that tribes magic is more about prediction and prevention, traps etc than brute strength powers like Fire or Earth.

In this way, some Gods will favour and maybe work through the most devout or clever priest/ priestess OR it might go through the strongest/ kindest/ sneakiest etc. 

Vote counted haha. But at this point it should be noted that inter-tribal marriages did not happen until late game. 

I think I would vote for mid-early, so that we still have a varity of powers to choose from but also get a decent power level.

I will add, 

Magic is not always simply "boom - fireball out of the hands". It can be used by asking the God to direct their power into something, such as Life into the dead or a tree ( which would look like the work of the Nature God but without any control over the living tree). This is a bit of a fiddly bit right now as I and Voidus are very nit-picky and don't want to have something that doesn't work.

Moon God (my favourite) becomes the controlling God of many things which are influenced by the moon, (which you can see leads to conflict with Water God who controls the ocean) he also is the patron God of knowledge and Astrology (which is a legit thing in world). SO that tribes magic is more about prediction and prevention, traps etc than brute strength powers like Fire or Earth.

In this way, some Gods will favour and maybe work through the most devout or clever priest/ priestess OR it might go through the strongest/ kindest/ sneakiest etc. 

With "Life into the dead" do you mean straight up necromancy? How would that interact with reincarnations?

Don´t worry about being nit-picky, though. I to this day have some things my brain just seems to bock out as possible, especially when it comes to some variants of teleportation and the like.

Would something like rhythem be possible?

Edited by Edgedancer

But what about the gene pools?! If there are tribes with around 100 people and there is no cross-pollination, so to speak, aren't there going to be an abundance of genetic illnesses? 

I think I would vote for mid-early, so that we still have a varity of powers to choose from but also get a decent power level.

With "Life into the dead" do you mean straight up necromancy? How would that interact with reincarnations?

Don´t worry about being nit-picky, though. I to this day have some things my brain just seems to bock out as possible, especially when it comes to some variants of teleportation and the like.

Would something like rhythem be possible?

I would also lean towards mid-early but we will see what the majority wants. Life to the dead as far as I have thought about it is that the priests and priestesses ask the God of Life to reanimate the bodies of the dead, which can be controlled by those priests (hereafter meaning both gendered) but it has no working mind or intelligence as that is in this world to do with the soul, and the soul has passed onto another person already. A new soul can not be put into a dead body, only movement. The strength of the body depends partly on the amount of muscle left on the bones, and partly on the amount of power the God can grant to the priest controlling the body. 

Absolutely rhythm would be possible, I would very much like to see that. 

To clear something else up, while the Gods made people in their own images, the prototype as it were remains constant, as we humans need to be the way we are (mostly) just to survive on Earth, so it is on this made up planet. And as the Gods have no physical bodies, image here means power, personality, essence and so on.