Reckoners movies optioned! (again?)

WeiryWriter

I am an admitted ignoramus when it comes to the movie industry, so a question to those who know more than me: how excited should we be about this? Does this mean a studio's committed to making a Reckoners movie, or have they merely purchased the option?

I haven't the slightest idea! Hopefully Brandon will do a blog post about it and give us the low down. (Or Peter might see this and explain)

I am an admitted ignoramus when it comes to the movie industry, so a question to those who know more than me: how excited should we be about this? Does this mean a studio's committed to making a Reckoners movie, or have they merely purchased the option?

I'm not getting my hopes up. Movie studios will purchase options on all sorts of popular books just to make sure they get first crack at it. Some of those movies are made, some of them aren't, and some of them are made into terrible movies. 

I'm hoping for a Steelheart movie with Liam Neeson as Prof and a Firefight adaptation with Jim Caviezel as Obliteration, but I'm not optimistic. 

Yeah, Mistborn's option sat around forever without ever being made, if memory serves.  Studios option books all the time and never make them.  Until and unless Sanderson says something to the effect of, "It's happening!" I wouldn't get too hot and bothered about it.

I'm not aware of any open casting call requirement. I do not have any information beyond what was in the press release.

This is just an option like other options that have come and gone, but this is better than the previous option for Steelheart because it's with a larger studio and for a production company of a director with a proven track record. Also, Fox announced it immediately instead of sitting on the news for a while, so that's something else that seems like a good sign. (But they probably wanted to announce in the week that Firefight was hitting #1 on the New York Times list, which is understandable.)

Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic, more optimistic about this getting made relatively quickly than any other option that has been previously announced. However, it could still not go anywhere. We won't start actually thinking it's happening until they start casting actors and get a screenplay, etc. I hope that the news it's for this specific director's production company means that that director is actually attached, but I'm not sure that's what it means.

I hope, if it does become a movie, it doesn't become a Percy Jackson type adaptation. That is, nothing like the book and full of sucky additions.

What, you don't want to see a love triangle between Tia, Prof, and Steelheart?  :wub:

When I shared this thread with my husband, his reply was: 

[in movie announcer voice]  "In a world where heroes become villains, one true hero rises like a potato in a minefield..."

Is your husband available for rent?

Like, platonically, 'cause I am a dude who is not into dudes. But I do a mean movie announcer voice, so we just have a conversation between two announcers or something.

Is your husband available for rent?

Like, platonically, 'cause I am a dude who is not into dudes. But I do a mean movie announcer voice, so we just have a conversation between two announcers or something.

Heh.  I will have to tell him someone asked. ;)  He'd definitely be able to riff on that with another announcer.

• 2 weeks later...

Before anyone gets optimistic, please look at this Shawn Levy's filmography: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0506613/ -- this is the Night at the Museum guy.

While Percy Jackson was paced as a novel, I really thought Steelheart was paced as a film treatment (Firefight less so). Because I such a good picture in my head it will be much easier to disappoint me when it comes out as a combination of Real Steel and Cheaper by the Dozen 2.

Edited by Quandmeme

I'm pretty sure that it's very common for studios to buy rights to a movie, even if it's a long shot that they actually turn it into a movie.  It's more like they're calling dibs, just in case.  Which is unfortunate, because of all of Sanderson's works, I think the Reckoner's would make for the best adaptation to film!

Once you hear word of production starting, then it's time to get excited.

Edit: I should read the whole thread before I posted.  Peter already addressed this.

Edited by Frosted Flakes

Before anyone gets optimistic, please look at this Shawn Levy's filmography: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0506613/ -- this is the Night at the Museum guy.

While Percy Jackson was paced as a novel, I really thought Steelheart was paced as a film treatment (Firefight less so). Because I such a good picture in my head it will be much easier to disappoint me when it comes out as a combination of Real Steel and Cheaper by the Dozen 2.

Yikes. While I enjoyed the NatM movies for the fun popcorn films they were, he's the last one I'd pick for the Reckoners movies. If I had my way, Bryan Singer (X-Men director who made Bret Ratner disappear) would direct a highly successful series of films with Liam Neeson as Prof and Jim Caviezel as Obliteration. Sadly, I am not in charge of Hollywood. <_<

I would love to see Liam neeson as prof

Sorry, but Keanu Reaves is really the only choice.  He's shown time and time again that he can pull off Prof's character type, not to mention the black labcoat.

On a side note, it would be awesome if we get a Stormlight Archive TV series a la Game of Thrones.

Sorry, but Keanu Reaves is really the only choice.  He's shown time and time again that he can pull off Prof's character type, not to mention the black labcoat.

On a side note, it would be awesome if we get a Stormlight Archive TV series a la Game of Thrones.

... whoa.

(Get it?  Ted/Neo...)

Keanu Reeves?  Really?  Nothing against him, because I'm really not a hater, but he just doesn't seem old enough to play Prof.  Or maybe I'm just in denial about my own age since I was the perfect age to be watching the spin-off Bill & Ted's animated Adventures when they aired.