Tablet or Kindle for reading

panda

I'm thinking of getting a tablet or and e-reader, just not sure which one makes more sense. Kindle is better to read and easier on the eyes (and cheaper) but with a tablet I could also surf the web, email etc. Theres probably no gadgets that do both are there?

Kindle Fire is a tablet, so it's not really good for reading.

I suggest you Kindle. As you said, it's easy on the eyes. Also you can surf the internet using every Kindle. However there are limitations. All of the Kindles have version with Wi-Fi, so you can acces web. Some also have free 3G to use. However, using 3G there are limits to which websites you can acces on newer Kindles like Voyage, Touch or Paperwhite, so you can access only some websites with 3G and the rest only through Wi-Fi. The full acces to all websites using free 3G is only using Kindle 3 Keyboard, as far as I know, but this one is pretty old and more bulky than the others.

There is also slight problem with comfort of surfing websites. Most Kindles do not have keyboards, so it takes a lot of time to write something. However Touch, Paperwhite and Voyage have a touchscreen, which makes web surfing as easy as on the tablet, from what I have heard. Paperwhite and Voyage also have really good screen quality, and build in light in the screen, for use in dark rooms. The only problem is that the screen is black and white but it is enough for checking e-mail.

I myself use Kindle 4, which has no 3G, no keyboard, no touchscreen, and is useless for everything except reading. I still find it to have more sense than any tablet, because it is still brilliant, because books are always brilliant, and e-readers are really like a portable libraries. So if you want to read books, get an e-reader. : )

Edited by Pestis the Spider

Thanks for the replies, especially Pestis the Spider! I feel I am one hundred per cent informed now. I had been looking at a Samsung Galaxy tablet, they do look quite attractive but Im not sure if I actually need all the functions. It might be nice to be able to watch movies, but I dont think I would do much surfing on it. So I guess a Kindle is really all I need. And its cheaper as well! I can always check my emails on my phone. 

GalaxyTabS-HandsOn-08-970-80.JPG
http://print24.com/blog/2015/01/samsung-has-started-work-on-new-galaxy-tabs-and-note-tablets/

I have both a Samsung Galaxy Tab and a Kindle Paperwhite. And I never, ever read on the tablet. I bought it mostly for using maps at work, and it's great for that, since my kindle obviously can't do color. But I check email on the kindle, and it will even do facebook (although poorly, and obviously in black and white). Plus, once you buy the kindle, no monthly data. I'd say a paperwhite or voyager, hands down, if you're only going to be browsing once in a while. My only knock against them is that the kindle keyboards would let you access the internet with the 3G, my current paperwhite will only let me use the browser when I'm connected to a wifi network. I can still go to the kindle store and download books with 3G but not actually surf the internet. Also, the Tab is much, much pickier about transferring books via computer, and mine frequently won't open things like the kindle app if it's not connected to the internet (and it won't let you open books without using an app, so therefore no service sometimes equals no reading). And the battery life is miles apart - one charge every few weeks for the kindle, one every couple days for the tab.

I have both a Samsung Galaxy Tab and a Kindle Paperwhite. And I never, ever read on the tablet. I bought it mostly for using maps at work, and it's great for that, since my kindle obviously can't do color. But I check email on the kindle, and it will even do facebook (although poorly, and obviously in black and white). Plus, once you buy the kindle, no monthly data. I'd say a paperwhite or voyager, hands down, if you're only going to be browsing once in a while. My only knock against them is that the kindle keyboards would let you access the internet with the 3G, my current paperwhite will only let me use the browser when I'm connected to a wifi network. I can still go to the kindle store and download books with 3G but not actually surf the internet. Also, the Tab is much, much pickier about transferring books via computer, and mine frequently won't open things like the kindle app if it's not connected to the internet (and it won't let you open books without using an app, so therefore no service sometimes equals no reading). And the battery life is miles apart - one charge every few weeks for the kindle, one every couple days for the tab.

Accessing full internet using free 3G was only available on Kindle 2 Keyboard. Later versions (including Kindle Paperwhite and Voyage) have restricted 3G access to just several websites, and the browser can be only accessed with wi-fi to be able to access all websites. However there are some tricks how to go around it (like you can go on twitter, tweet "www.google.com", click on the link created and then google whatever you like, but I heard it's kind of annoying to do. ; D )

The Kindle Fire is actually very good for reading. Do you have one, Pestis? Anyway, the Kindle Fire is just good all around.

No, I do not own one currently, but I do know how it works. Kindle Fire (actually right now it is just called Fire) maybe good for reading books, because it is still Amazon product, so it has nice software for book-reading. However it has an LCD screen, which is shiny, hard on eyes, and generally tiring for eyes (especially while reading, so staring for a long time periods at this screen), and can also lead to eye problems if staring to much on it, or if it is too bright. Reading on Fire is like reading on the computer (which is bad, and for example, my eyes, simply hurt). Other kindles (and other e-readers) have e-paper screen, which behaves like a normal paper, and so is not bright, does not shine, and is easy on eyes, and therefore much better for reading.

Accessing full internet using free 3G was only available on Kindle 2 Keyboard. Later versions (including Kindle Paperwhite and Voyage) have restricted 3G access to just several websites, and the browser can be only accessed with wi-fi to be able to access all websites. However there are some tricks how to go around it (like you can go on twitter, tweet "www.google.com", click on the link created and then google whatever you like, but I heard it's kind of annoying to do. ; D )

I was pretty sure they'd done something like that. Jerks ;)  I used the crap out of that browser when I was in africa last time because I had 3G, but this time around, no dice. Next time, I'm bringing my old keyboard kindle. Halfway defeats the purpose of getting one with 3g, for me.

My sister has a Fire, and I've read on it. It does have better "reading software" than most tablets, and being able to sync to Amazon is nice, but if we're talking straight up terms of reading comfort, Paperwhite all the way. As the Spider says, the fire is an LCD screen, and so it's just like reading on a tablet or laptop, and gives me a headache after a while, especially in the dark. The Paperwhite also has a built-in light, but it's different than tablets and much, much easier on the eyes to read for a long period of time. Plus, it doesn't light up the whole room like a tablet does in the dark, so if you've got someone else in the room with you, they appreciate it a lot more. But, she likes being able to get the games and stuff that tablets and the fire offer, and if you're into magazines or anything else that's printed in color, a tablet is probably your better option. All comes down to preference. 

The arguments for getting the not-Kindle Fire are still sound, but why prioritize Kindle Fire over any other tablet? I'm not sure about iOS, but my android devices (including my phone) all have the Kindle App. To my knowledge, I have everything a Kindle Fire does as a result, and am not restricted to buying the Kindle Fire hardware. Perhaps I am missing something though?

The arguments for getting the not-Kindle Fire are still sound, but why prioritize Kindle Fire over any other tablet? I'm not sure about iOS, but my android devices (including my phone) all have the Kindle App. To my knowledge, I have everything a Kindle Fire does as a result, and am not restricted to buying the Kindle Fire hardware. Perhaps I am missing something though?

No, I don't think you are missing anything. As far as I know Kindle for Android app grants you pretty much the same software as Fire has built in. I was talking about Fire as an answer to panda's post. But sure, there are loads of tablets to choose from, and there are loads of e-readers to choose from. Kindle is not the only brand in the world. ;) But all the tablets have the same disadvantage, when it comes to choosing a reading device: an LCD screen.

EDIT: Of course, I meant "inexorablePanda", not "panda". Sorry, pandas, for confusing you. My mistake. Really sorry. : )

I was just saying that I like what I have. I'm not judging anything else because I don't have anything else, thus the apparent prioritization.

I personally use an iPad. Or even my iPhone. I have the 6+ which is big enough to not suck reading on. Personally I have no problems reading on a tablet screen, and enjoy having multiple apps and stores to get books thru. I always read on a sepia setting which helps with the brightness. Another big this is that I can read wherever I am on my phone picking up from where I left off on the tablet, which makes it nice not having to carry a dedicated ereader device everywhere, and convenient when you just have a few minutes and want to read a chapter on the bus or train or whatever. Anyways hope this point of view helps, seems to be different from many on here but to each their own! :)

I personally use an iPad. Or even my iPhone. I have the 6+ which is big enough to not suck reading on. Personally I have no problems reading on a tablet screen, and enjoy having multiple apps and stores to get books thru. I always read on a sepia setting which helps with the brightness. Another big this is that I can read wherever I am on my phone picking up from where I left off on the tablet, which makes it nice not having to carry a dedicated ereader device everywhere, and convenient when you just have a few minutes and want to read a chapter on the bus or train or whatever. Anyways hope this point of view helps, seems to be different from many on here but to each their own! :)

This is what I like about using my androids, though I don't use sepia, I prefer the black background with white text. I think it is easiest on the eyes.

This is what I like about using my androids, though I don't use sepia, I prefer the black background with white text. I think it is easiest on the eyes.

Yeah, this was what I use when I read sometimes something on my phone on the internet, when I have no Kindle with me. The black backgroud is pretty fine, doesn't seem to tire eyes too much. Although I have to say I cannot compare it with sepia, as my phone is too old to have an option to swich the text to sepia, so I've never tried it.