Calamity (The Reckoners #3) Takes Place in Atlanta

Argent

I haven't seen this bit of information anywhere outside of my Twitter account (which seems odd, considering how quickly, easily, and nonchalantly Peter responded to my question), so I figured I'd share it here:

The sequel to Steelheart and Firefight, Calamity, will take place in Atlanta. 

Source

Awesome news! Here's hoping we get to see the Coven, the group of Epics that took over the southern states according to Steelheart.

I hope not, I was planning to reference something about them in the RP :P

Atlanta. That'll be cool. I'd been hoping for New Orleans, but Atlanta is a pretty distinctive city on its own.

New Orleans would have been cool, and it's often been associated with the voodoo/witchcraft motif that the Coven seems to embrace.

Of course, I'd be excited about pretty much any city if it was going to be starring in a Reckoners novel. If Calamity was to be entirely set in a random featureless field in England, I'd be squealing with glee as much as if it were anywhere else. :P

New Orleans would have been cool, and it's often been associated with the voodoo/witchcraft motif that the Coven seems to embrace.

Of course, I'd be excited about pretty much any city if it was going to be starring in a Reckoners novel. If Calamity was to be entirely set in a random featureless field in England, I'd be squealing with glee as much as if it were anywhere else. :P

Could Brandon Sanderson turn The Featureless Plane Of Disembodied Dialogue into a cool setting? I'll bet he could. :P

I think it'll be interesting to see what drives the surviving characters to congregate in new Atlanta at the start of the story. New Orleans definitely would have been an interesting setting, but Atlanta is good too and should provide a distinctly different environment from Newcago and Babylon Restored. I also can't wait to see how the Epic leaders of Atlanta have changed the area.

Hey, I live near there!  Unfortunately, in the world of the Reckoners, I probably died a long time ago.   :(

Spoilered because of a little bit of discussion from Firefight:

MILD FIREFIGHT SPOILERS

I think Atlanta is a very interesting setting for Calamity, because it's a very different city than Chicago or New York.  I would guess that vast swaths of what we think of as "Atlanta" would seem like the landscape David describes in just a couple of pages: just a desolate area with not much in the way of major "city" infrastructure.  Even the "urban" part of Atlanta sprawls quite a bit.  There are a handful of big, tall buildings in the downtown area, but there are also big urban-type buildings in the Midtown area, as well. In between those areas, though, there's not much other than standard commercial/residential neighborhoods and such.  Chicago and New York lent themselves to the "Newcago" and "Babylar" settings because they are both dense cities with most of the big urban-type buildings compressed into a (relatively) smaller area.  Atlanta doesn't really follow that model.  I'm very curious to see what Sanderson does with that setting.

EDIT:  Good lord, if it's called (name)lanta, my head is going to explode.  Everybody I know that lives near Atlanta hates the ___lanta thing.  :)

Edited by vineyarddawg

I wonder if he'll go with a name reminiscent of Atlantis (e.g. Atlantas) instead of tucking "-lanta" after some other word.

Eh, I kind of hope not, he already did a water-themed redesign with Babylon Restored, and anything named Atlantis is going to be associated with water in people's minds.

Awesome news! Here's hoping we get to see the Coven, the group of Epics that took over the southern states according to Steelheart.

The book will already be rather full with 

(Firefight)

Phaedrus, Obliteration and Calamity himself.

So I would guess that at most we´ll see one member of the Coven and maybe get some mentions of the others. If Brandon tries to cram all of them in there, I don´t think even he´ll manage to do all of them justice.

(Firefight)

I would argue that Newton already got the short end of the

stick.

The book will already be rather full with 

(Firefight)

Phaedrus, Obliteration and Calamity himself.

So I would guess that at most we´ll see one member of the Coven and maybe get some mentions of the others. If Brandon tries to cram all of them in there, I don´t think even he´ll manage to do all of them justice.

(Firefight)

I would argue that Newton already got the short end of the

stick.

My theory? The Coven member featured will be Night's Sorrow. In Steelheart, Abraham mentions three Epics in succession—Steelheart, Obliteration, and Night's Sorrow. We saw Steelheart in the first book and Obliteration in the second, so I have a feeling we'll meet Night's Sorrow in the third. 

Though I'm a bit apprehensive. Steelheart was terrifying, and Obliteration made him look like a kitten. How bad will Night's Sorrow be?

My theory? The Coven member featured will be Night's Sorrow. In Steelheart, Abraham mentions three Epics in succession—Steelheart, Obliteration, and Night's Sorrow. We saw Steelheart in the first book and Obliteration in the second, so I have a feeling we'll meet Night's Sorrow in the third. 

Though I'm a bit apprehensive. Steelheart was terrifying, and Obliteration made him look like a kitten. How bad will Night's Sorrow be?

I've been thinking the same thing, actually! Aside from your reasoning, "Night's Sorrow" is a name I very much associate with the spiritualistic darkness the name "The Coven" implies.

Night's Sorrow may be the leader of the Coven, in fact.

Also, a note to Mr. Ahlstrom if he happens to read this thread: could we get an illustrated encyclopedia of Epics someday? Please? It would be an awesome way of giving loyal fans background information about the fascinating world of the Reckoners, and it'd make up for the fact that some Epics tend to get underrepresented in their novels. I would happily shell out money for a guide to Epics like Obliteration, the Coven, or Instabam.

I've been thinking the same thing, actually! Aside from your reasoning, "Night's Sorrow" is a name I very much associate with the spiritualistic darkness the name "The Coven" implies.

Also, a note to Mr. Ahlstrom if he happens to read this thread: could we get an illustrated encyclopedia of Epics someday? Please? It would be an awesome way of giving loyal fans background information about the fascinating world of the Reckoners, and it'd make up for the fact that some Epics tend to get underrepresented in their novels. I would happily shell out money for a guide to Epics like Obliteration, the Coven, or Instabam.

I'm not going to make any power guesses just yet, but I will venture that Night's Sorrow will take the theme of corrupted religion and spirituality even further than Obliteration and Regalia did. I'm not sure how, but I have a hunch that the theme of 

religious beliefs corrupted by fear becoming something even more horrible and harmful than anyone wants to imagine

will be explored even more in-depth through Night's Sorrow, and perhaps the return of Obliteration. 

Who I would be happy to see as a villain or a redeemed antihero. I'm not cheering for either option, because no matter what Brandon does with his character, it's going to be ​awesome.

Yes. I am counting "Obliteration is redeemed but his mind is so gone he spends the entirety of Calamity believing he is a six-year-old girl" as an option. That would be unexpected, but also awesome.

Oh, good. I'm not the only one who would fork over $25 for an illustrated encyclopedia of Epics.

Very sound reasoning, both of you. Only sad thing is that we already had a night Epic with Nightwielder, so I wonder if he´ll take his powers up to eleven or something else entirely.

Agreed, an illustraded guide sounds awesome! (I wonder, if this ends up getting Kickstarted, could we get some RP Epics cannonized? :ph34r:)

I believe The Coven is lead by Twins, so If Night's Sorrow is the leader, that means we'll be seeing two ultra powered Epics.

There is a pair of twins in the Coven but I don´t remember anything saying they lead it. Actually, I don´t think it has been stated if the Coven even has a leader or if it´s just a fancy word for a cease fire.

Personally, the only reason that wouldn't work for me and might cause too many opportunities for comparison is the video game Infamous 2 (I can't play games like that because I'm jump-challenged, but I watched my husband play the whole thing), which is set in New Orleans...and the main character is kinda a superhero/epic.