Second UK Cover

callumke

Wait, wait, wait...Szeth's blade is a scimitar? That is not how I envisioned it! I don't know if I like these covers very much. I much prefer the covers in America. These just seem sort of...simple. Also, the mountains in the background would not be that sharp. With the highstorms raging regularly for millennia, they'd be eroded down to rather round and short stumps. 

Edited by Titan Arum

Wait, wait, wait...Szeth's blad is a scimitar? That is not how I envisioned it! I don't know if I like these covers very much. I much prefer then covers in America. These just seem sort of...simple. Also, the mountains in the background would not be that sharp. With the highstorms raging regularly for millennia, they'd be eroded down to rather round and short stumps. 

Yeah I wouldn't consider that canon.  Cover art, even the US covers are commissioned by the publisher, not Brandon he has very little control over how things are depicted.

It was a Skyrim Reference.

Was it? To what, then? Because I'ver played Skyrim, but I don't remember anythig like this.

EDIT: Nevermind, google solved my problem.  I really didn't remeber that one ad it is not quite as famous as arrow in the knee. ; D

Usually I really like more "simple" covers, like this ones, but this ones are definitely not the best ones I've seen. The second one is nice, and Szeth looks cool, but the character in the first one is really ugly, I;m sorry to say so. But the greyish-red colouring is really nice in the background. :D

Edited by Pestis the Spider

Over in Shinovar, they have curved swords. Curved. Swords.

Cuuuved. Sooords.

@Pestis the Spider, it's one of the things the guards say sometimes. Same as the infamous "arrow in the knee" comment.

I don't like the UK covers for Brandon's novels. There was one I found acceptable, but I think that was it =\

Edited by Argent

I like the Mistborn trilogy covers and the Elantris cover a lot, but the rest I could take or leave. I think the firs WoR cover is just a bit boring. The second is so dynamic! I remember when the first WoR cover got released, I speculated that it might be Kaladin wih Shardspear and Shardplate. Peter then told me that the artist had not yet read the book. So I am sure that it is not canonical. Still a cool look though.

I tend to prefer because they're cleaner and don't look like they come from the nineties and there is no attempt at canon which kind of makes the errors easier to handle haha though most of brandons USA covers look fine really I just hate words of radiance cover that dust jacket come straight off, awful just awful.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the illustration is wonderful... I just really don't like the font or the idea that that is Kaladin on the cover... but it is all very subjective. I prefer just the stark colour with the nice embossed (is that right term?) symbol in the center. Looks wonderful. Love the in world blurbs for the american SA books too. 

Someone who's presumably meant to be Kaladin wearing armour...

Then there 'a book one that has a medieval knight with a normal sword wearing standard plate but glowing to imply it's a set of shards , just totally wrong.

I like curved swords but only when they're appropriate.

• Chaos locked this topic