Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThirdGen

Godmetal Phase and Realm

5 posts in this topic

So, from what I can piece together...

The god metals result from a body breaking apart from the sheer power of a Shard, and they form the following:

Gas/Spirit Aspect - The willpower and consciousness of the holder, able to be anywhere the atmosphere can spread.

Liquid/Cognitive Aspect - The subconscious and full skill potential of the holder, absorbed easier than water into a human.

Solid/Physical Aspect - The limited, but usable raw material of the holder, in handy bead form.

The ways each of these replenish are rather interesting. The Well of Ascension, for instance. (Please, don't be shy about goofs or overreaching speculation - if I'm wrong, I'm wrong) Magnetic North itself, right? And it was a plug on top of Ruin's spirit aspect, hence Ruin's body had to dribble out through the ground. Why did Preservation collect as a liquid and Ruin as a solid? Why are beads of lerasium bare and atium inside large geodes? Did Preservation merge with the planet's crust?

My theory, yes. The geodes are a protective layer against mutual annihilation of both elements. A magnetic north lerasium well and magnetic south atium well don't quite make sense, as Ruin's mind would not be trapped by the Well. But this may have been the original balance of the planet. The whole thing has so many what-ifs and RAFOs it can make your head spin. But this raises the curious possibility of what the south polers may have been doing when faced with the scientific curiosity of a world where the north and south poles may have both been on the opposite side of the planet.

A couple of things (this is what you get for forming theories in the evening when you can't IM them to me):

The Pits of Hathsin popping out geodes of atium beads were a direct result of Preservation deliberately bleeding off some of Ruin's power to keep them in equilibrium.  So, that bit's not a natural phenomenon, but an attempt to keep Ruin from powering up hard enough to break free of his prison.

The Well of Ascension did drag magnetic north from its "natural" placement to Luthadel as sort of a weird side effect of having that much power concentrated in one place.  I think, though, since Harmony fixed all the things, it may have wandered back up where it should be.  Not sure if there's a WoB out yet about where magnetic north is as of AoL.

Also, lerasium isn't bare, but is found in clay pots.  Nobody knows why.  My personal theory on that is that Brandon wrote that part after playing a Legend of Zelda game for a bit too long.

Edited by Kaymyth

A couple of things (this is what you get for forming theories in the evening when you can't IM them to me):

The Pits of Hathsin popping out geodes of atium beads were a direct result of Preservation deliberately bleeding off some of Ruin's power to keep them in equilibrium.  So, that bit's not a natural phenomenon, but an attempt to keep Ruin from powering up hard enough to break free of his prison.

The Well of Ascension did drag magnetic north from its "natural" placement to Luthadel as sort of a weird side effect of having that much power concentrated in one place.  I think, though, since Harmony fixed all the things, it may have wandered back up where it should be.  Not sure if there's a WoB out yet about where magnetic north is as of AoL.

Also, lerasium isn't bare, but is found in clay pots.  Nobody knows why.  My personal theory on that is that Brandon wrote that part after playing a Legend of Zelda game for a bit too long.

I'll tell him you said that.

I'll tell him you said that.

:lol:

It all fits, though.  The Triforces of Power, Wisdom, and Courage?  Those sound like Shardic intents to me.  So there you have it:  Hyrule is a Shardworld.

Also...Ruin does have a shardpool...it's the black metallic lake that Alendi mentions in one of the logbook entries...I've often wondered (in my head and on the forum) why Brandon never elaborated more on Ruin's shardpool.  Somewhere on the website is an alternate ending where Vin and Elend find Ruin's shardpool while looking for the well of ascension...but even that doesn't really tell us much about it.

So...

Black smoke = Ruin's farts...Mist = Preservation's farts

Black lake = Ruin's urine...Well of ascension = Preservaton's urine

Atium = Ruins BM...Lerasium = Preservation's BM

Following this line of thinking...the Pits of Hathsin were basically the cosmic version of undercooked mexican food...