Would you be able to overcome your weakness?

gjustice99

I wonder if having a strong fear of something is a prerequisite to becoming an Epic.

Otherwise there would already be some Epics around that don't get corrupted, so it kinda has to be.

But then again that would mean that David isn't going to develop Epic powers in the next book, and that seems rather unlikely to me from a story telling perspective.

Something about the weaknesses, fears, and overcoming to be sane still bug me.  Fortuity's weakness was being attracted to a woman so that was his biggest fear?  He is portrayed as a womanizer in Steelheart but he's still "evil".  I guess he could have just normally have been an cremhole before calamity...

I would guess that attractive women are actually not his weakness, at least not in the sense usually meant when discussing Epics. As I recall his power doesn't directly protect him, but rather gives him the information he needs to protect himself. Close company with an attractive woman may just be one example of a sufficiently strong distraction, causing him to pay less attention to his power-provided information rather than actually negating the power itself.

We've all ignored a glaringly obvious possibility: the Reckoners were wrong about Fortuity's weakness. Megan handcuffing him wouldn't necessarily trigger his precognition danger sense, since it wasn't intended to harm him, and they were only able to kill him with a 'checkmate,' which didn't involve his weakness

Edited by Fifth of Daybreak

Keep in mind, Sourcefield from Firefight was weakened by partial exposure to her weakness. Her weakness was drinking Kool Aid, because of the poisoning. Touching it still dampened her powers, it just didn't shut them off completely. They could have just been close, but not quite, with Fortuity's weakness. Also, keep in mind: Epic weaknesses don't seem to be a "greatest fear", since most of them apparently haven't seen a connection between weaknesses and fears before. This means Fortuity could have had a bad experience with women once, but it didn't impact him super-dramatically and he still takes the chance to enjoy himself all the same. Or perhaps, as I suggested above, he knows his weakness, but doesn't realize being attracted to somebody also dampens him?

My biggest fear would have to be hurting or losing my friends, which I don't believe I could overcome by any stretch. I'd be curious to see how that would manifest as an weakness though, but at least there would probably be a built-in insurance plan on their behalf.

1) Get turned into epic

2) Go after friends during rending

3) Powers negated

4) Error

An Epic with the weakness of somebody else being harmed. That sounds like Divinity: Original Sin's soul bonds. You get all-powerful God Emperors, but if their family dies, they die too. The measures they go to in the name of covering this weakness would likely be recreated. You'd still make a very interesting Epic though. Maybe not a nice one, but an interesting one at least.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic