Would you be able to overcome your weakness?

gjustice99

So, we know from Firefight that your worst nightmare (or greatest fear) becomes your weakness.

Heres the question:

If you became an epic, would you be able to overcome your own personal weakness to rid yourself of the destructive effects of your epic powers?

My answer:

I do not think that I would be able to overcome my fear. I have a very rational fear of spiders. It is a rational fear because I have a reasoning for why I fear them. My reason was, when I was in the 5th grade, my grade went on a field trip to a summer camp for three days. While we were there, this guy kept chasing me holding spiders, which caused me to panic (he also attempted to put them on me and a girl in my cabin claimed to have put a spider in my bed. I never found out the validity of the latter). Ever since, I have been absolutely terrified of spiders. I have tried many times and numerous methods to get over my fear, and nothing has worked. 

I do not think that I would be able to overcome my fear. I have a very rational fear of spiders. It is a rational fear because I have a reasoning for why I fear them. My reason was, when I was in the 5th grade, my grade went on a field trip to a summer camp for three days. While we were there, this guy kept chasing me holding spiders, which caused me to panic (he also attempted to put them on me and a girl in my cabin claimed to have put a spider in my bed. I never found out the validity of the latter). Ever since, I have been absolutely terrified of spiders. I have tried many times and numerous methods to get over my fear, and nothing has worked. 

I'm kinda with you on the spiders, and kinda not. What I mean to say is, spiders make me uncomfortable and squirm, but if they are there in person, they can die, and dead spiders aren't scary ( I refer to them as "squished peace of mind.") I also had some bad experiences with spiders growing up, including one where he managed to crawly up my arm and onto my shirt before I could find out what the crawling sensation had been, then he crawled up my neck, under my glasses, and across my eyeball (immediately prior to taking an all expenses flight out the bus window.) Spiders are creepy. 

Spiders that aren't real though, those are the ones that get me. I'm not so much afraid of real spiders as the thought of spiders. Pictures in textbooks, movies, talking about spiders, internet videos of Australian spiders all just about make me insane. My worse experience with a spider was actually when it was protected behind the glass display case at a store, and I couldn't kill it. I about had an anxiety attack. 

So, I'm able to overcome my fear/discomfort with real spiders, but I'm not sure I'll ever get over my terror at the thought of spiders. 

I'm also kind of similar in that I deal a lot better with real spiders than the ones in my head, real spiders meet the sole of my shoe very quickly the imaginary ones are unfortunately unkillable.
Somewhat graphic spider related fears described below.

I have this recurring fear that spiders have somehow layed eggs under my skin, or more often in my eyes and that any time I have an itchy eye a horde of arachnids is about to pour out. I very nearly scratched my own eye out once because of it.

I'm also kind of similar in that I deal a lot better with real spiders than the ones in my head, real spiders meet the sole of my shoe very quickly the imaginary ones are unfortunately unkillable.

Somewhat graphic spider related fears described below.

I have this recurring fear that spiders have somehow layed eggs under my skin, or more often in my eyes and that any time I have an itchy eye a horde of arachnids is about to pour out. I very nearly scratched my own eye out once because of it.

That's awful! Dear god I'm never sleeping again!

I also have recurring spider nightmares.

It's the same every time. I'm a kid at my parents house playing outside when I get bit, but my lifelong dream of becoming Spiderman doesn't manifest (scared of spiders, wants to be Spiderman. Analyze that psychology!) Instead, my skin immediately begins to slough off and grow black in necrosis. I run inside and start rinsing my arm as it just eventually melts off. I've had the dream a couple times, and each time I actually feel pain, which I've never experienced in any other dream.

That's awful! Dear god I'm never sleeping again!

I also have recurring spider nightmares.

It's the same every time. I'm a kid at my parents house playing outside when I get bit, but my lifelong dream of becoming Spiderman doesn't manifest (scared of spiders, wants to be Spiderman. Analyze that psychology!) Instead, my skin immediately begins to slough off and grow black in necrosis. I run inside and start rinsing my arm as it just eventually melts off. I've had the dream a couple times, and each time I actually feel pain, which I've never experienced in any other dream.

Why is life never as interesting as fiction? Real spiders give you nightmares, fictional spiders give you superpowers.

That sounds absolutely horrible.

:unsure:

I'm not really sure if I'm afraid of anything. My parents have made sure to instill my whole family with Confidence in any way, and make sure to make us face our fears. My older brother had a fear of heights, so they saved up and took him sky-diving.

So yeah, Until I find something I'm afraid of, I can't really answer.

I'm not really sure if I'm afraid of anything. My parents have made sure to instill my whole family with Confidence in any way, and make sure to make us face our fears. My older brother had a fear of heights, so they saved up and took him sky-diving.

So yeah, Until I find something I'm afraid of, I can't really answer.

Challenge accepted! 

Something I've been curious about, what if an Epics greatest fear is something mythological, or else unattainable?

For instance how would you kill an Epic with a Prime Invincibility whose weakness is zombies? Or what if their greatest fear was hell?

Something I've been curious about, what if an Epics greatest fear is something mythological, or else unattainable?

For instance how would you kill an Epic with a Prime Invincibility whose weakness is zombies? Or what if their greatest fear was hell?

I think that the weakness would then become a secondary or tertiary fear that is of something real. Upvote for a great question.

Edited by gjustice99

The weakness could then be the mention of Zombies, or Hell since it reminds them of the fear.

Statistically most Epics weaknesses would be public speaking :P

Mine would probably be some form of social anxiety, I could rule the world! Just don't make me make small talk.

Remember that there's been some implication that Calamity is choosing Epics with some forethought.  I don't think Epics are being chosen randomly, and I bet he skips people with overly common, omnipresent, or nonexistent weaknesses.

My scariest nightmares always involve me being unable to get my bearings.  (Like I'm being chased, and it's too dark/disorienting for me to figure out where anything is while I'm running.  I would be able to see if I just took a moment to stop and catch my breath, but if I do that then they'll catch me...)  I have no idea how that would correlate into a weakness, though.  Maybe if you blindside me while I'm running?  But getting me to run in the first place would be difficult if I know that I'm safe while walking.

Something about the weaknesses, fears, and overcoming to be sane still bug me.  Fortuity's weakness was being attracted to a woman so that was his biggest fear?  He is portrayed as a womanizer in Steelheart but he's still "evil".  I guess he could have just normally have been an cremhole before calamity...

Something about the weaknesses, fears, and overcoming to be sane still bug me.  Fortuity's weakness was being attracted to a woman so that was his biggest fear?  He is portrayed as a womanizer in Steelheart but he's still "evil".  I guess he could have just normally have been an cremhole before calamity...

It does seem weird. To be fair, being attracted to women only weakened his powers not elimate them completely. Which means there´s still wiggle room.

Although, given the amount importance this this whole topic has, showing Fortuity, who falls into a gray zone, as far as the pattern is concerned, so early to us seems like a flawed choice.

Or you know, Fortuity simply was a insane serial killer, even without Calamity. Those sadly do exsist.

It does seem weird. To be fair, being attracted to women only weakened his powers not elimate them completely. Which means there´s still wiggle room.

Although, given the amount importance this this whole topic has, showing Fortuity, who falls into a gray zone, as far as the pattern is concerned, so early to us seems like a flawed choice.

Or you know, Fortuity simply was a insane serial killer, even without Calamity. Those sadly do exsist.

Yeah I was thinking he might have just been evil to begin with.

Also I find it funny that my post was censored to cremhole. I was never sure on what was allowed or not but I do like the censorship in this case.