"No," he said. "You aren't like the others. I can see it. You're better than they are."

Here we have Steelheart's defining moment. He is confronted by something he didn't expect: Someone who actually believed in him instead of fearing him. He stopped. He listened to the argument, and he chose to destroy instead of face that fear. When David's father shot him, Steelheart felt betrayed by the only person in a long time who had believed in him and at that moment he knew no one could be allowed to feel anything but terror when they saw his face. So, he killed. The only thing he could think to do is kill. In other words, he ran away from his fear.

It's sad to think that Steelheart came so close to being the hero David's father wanted him to be. So. Close. Instead, he was the tyrant that killed thousands, maybe millions of people to rule. All because he couldn't believe he could be better than his fears.

Ever single person has these moments. We are put in situations by God and we have a choice. We can run, or we can fight. If we run, we lose every time. If we fight, we can win. Even so, victory is never sure. All we can do is follow the advice of Alexander Dumas: "Wait and hope" (The Count of Monte Cristo).

So... I'm super insecure about this post. Did you guys like it? Agree or disagree? Somebody please say something about it.

I have little to say in response, but I loved it. It improves the way I read the scene (which I didn't think was possible, seeing how much I love it). That's the highest praise I can bestow upon a fan theory, and I was among the first of six people thus far who upvoted it as a sign of approval. :)

Edited by Kobold King

I have little to say in response, but I loved it. It improves the way I read the scene (which I didn't think was possible, seeing how much I love it). That's the highest praise I can bestow upon a fan theory, and I was among the first of six people thus far who upvoted it as a sign of approval. :)

Phew! The crickets that sounded after I posted this were so nerve wracking that it didn't matter how many up votes I got.

Unfortunately, this can't really be discussed here, imo.  A proper discussion of why Steelheart was pretty much guaranteed to *not* rise above it requires inclusion of the info we learned about him in Firefight.

You may be right. Could a mod move this to the Firefight spoiler sub forum?

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't see this until now, so sorry if this discussion is already happening in the Firefight spoilers board, but I just started a topic there on a related topic (Steelheart's Origins - FIREFIGHT SPOILERS!), so maybe we could combine discussions?

If not, without going into Firefight spoilers, great analysis!

• Chaos locked this topic