Obliteration & Regalia's employment relationship confusion

DataLoreHD

I have finished reading "Firefly". It's a great book, but there is one thing very confusing which I'm not sure if it's a plot hole, or I missed some details in reading process.

The question is: why did Regalia let Obliteration transfer to her hidding place? It seems quite unnecessary and risky. She could order him to transfer to somewhere in Babylon, and then use her water avatar to give him instruction all the time.

After all, Obliteration was a killing machine hard to controll. It's possible that Obliteration just decided to destroy her and everything else all by himself before Regalia fulfilled her plan. Even the chance was small, it's still too risky for a (non-High) Epic to expose her secret shelter.

She probably had to take him to her shelter for the operation to extract the Motivator, after that there really isn´t a point in telling him no.

Mizzy said her informant found out Regalia had brought a surgeon to Babilar.

And Dawnslight said he couldn't see where Regalia was, but he witnessed Obliteration on an operating table.

So I was under impression that Regalia had set up a temporary operation room in Babilar to operate on Obliteration.

Edited by DataLoreHD

Mizzy said her informant found out Regalia had brought a surgeon to Babilar.

And Dawnslight said he couldn't see where Regalia was, but he witnessed Obliteration on an operating table.

So I was under impression that Regalia had set up a temporary operation room in Babilar to operate on Obliteration.

I also find one thing that doesn't make sense to me.  At the end of the book, we know Regalia and Dawnslight were in the same room both lying on their own hospital bed.  So why did Dawnslight said he couldn't see where Regalia was and only claimed he saw Obliteration on an operating table?

I also find one thing that doesn't make sense to me.  At the end of the book, we know Regalia and Dawnslight were in the same room both lying on their own hospital bed.  So why did Dawnslight said he couldn't see where Regalia was and only claimed he saw Obliteration on an operating table?

Although Dawnslight was taken captive and relocated to New Jersey, he could only watch over Babilar. He didn't know where both himself and Regalia were. This fact should indicate Obliteration was operated in Babilar.

So why did Regalia bring Obliteration to her secret hideout in New Jersey? It really makes no sense at all.

Unless there was some certain reason (which Mr. Sanderson have not told us yet) Regalia could totally trust or controll Obliteration.

Edited by DataLoreHD

Okay, rethink of the whole scenario, I have a theory.

It really had nothing to do with whether or not Regalia could trust Obliteration with her secrets.

On contrary, it was a risk she had to take in order to enlist Obliteration, to show her sincerity in the matter:

"Look, I'm dying. I didn't lie when I said you could destroy my city. Spark, it won't be my city after I pass away. But I need your help dealing with Jonathon first."

Although Dawnslight was taken captive and relocated to New Jersey, he could only watch over Babilar. He didn't know where both himself and Regalia were. This fact should indicate Obliteration was operated in Babilar.

So why did Regalia bring Obliteration to her secret hideout in New Jersey? It really makes no sense at all.

Unless there was some certain reason (which Mr. Sanderson have not told us yet) Regalia could totally trust or controll Obliteration.

My best guess.... Regalia (being so close and able to talk to "the angle....aka Calamity) she promised him if he plays along she would help him find his purpose. As for why she risked revealing her location...simple...she overcame her fear of death...it was inevitable...and once she got his core to make the bomb her plan was set in motion...she spent the whole book gloating and appreciating her work more than actually doing anything. 

Obliteration needed to understand his and the Epics purpose...and that's why at the end David told him what he needed to know to make a judgement as to why he exists. He believed he was sent by god/angels to cleanse the land (4 horsemen)...but i think he wanted to believe differently.

• Chaos locked this topic