Am I the only one who wished that...

greenturtles6

Also, it's possible that David's Epic power is the ability to absorb some of the Epic energy (I almost said "Investiture" :P) from another Epic, kind of like a reverse-Gifting effect, such that what we thought as Prof Gifting David was actually David taking from Prof.

I actually wondered this same thing.  Maybe he's a "taker" instead of a "gifter".  He is able to use the Epic powers contained in "technology" easily (spyril), also the tensor powers that Prof gifts him, and Megan comments at one point that staying "sane" is easier around him (which might make sense if he's taking some power off her).  Of course, that stuff happened before the incident with Calamity. 

I actually wondered this same thing.  Maybe he's a "taker" instead of a "gifter".  He is able to use the Epic powers contained in "technology" easily (spyril), also the tensor powers that Prof gifts him, and Megan comments at one point that staying "sane" is easier around him (which might make sense if he's taking some power off her).  Of course, that stuff happened before the incident with Calamity. 

I thought that it was easier for Megan to stay sane around David because she wasn't afraid of him. If Epics are fearful by nature (and that fear usually manifests through anger and aggression) then Megan would have had plenty of reasons to be scared of the other Reckoners, but Prof especially. David, kill-Steelheart-through-bad-similies David? I'm not saying he's harmless—he's a crack shot with a rifle, knows more about most Epics than he has any right to know, and came up with a solid plan to kill a dictator before his eighteenth birthday—but he's not exactly threatening. And that's a good thing. If I were Megan, I'd feel safer around an adorkable guy who compares an arms dealer's shop to a banana farm than I would around just about anyone else. Especially if I'd been made an Epic against my will and served under ruthless dictators who could squash me like a bug—and would if I made one false move. 

I'm glad that David didnt get powers, and hope he doesn't have them. After his epic (lol) refusal and Regalia's reaction, it would feel cheap if he got powers now. It would negate the moment of his refusal.

Not to mention absolutely ruining his metaphor about being a washing machine at a gun show.  Clearly this cannot be allowed.

ETA:  More seriously, I agree with you.  There's part of us that always wants the characters to get powered up, but with my rational mind, I know that it would make the story much less interesting, long run.

Edited by happyman

• Chaos locked this topic