Can someone please explain this scene with Megan??? (Firefight spoilers obviously)

Ethan Mcleod

Ok, Megan is in the burning building. We know that fire is her weakness and that if she dies by fire then she won't be coming back. Luckily she has a fail safe plan with the rifle mounted to shoot herself just in case. Now here is what I can't figure out... Prof used a forcefield to lock Megan into a room so she couldn't escape. And quoting directly from the book

(Prof speaking) -"I caught her, took away her weapons, and left her in there with forcefields on the doorways and the window.”

If forcefields were on the windows then how in the world did her rifle mounted outside of the forcefields pierce through them to shoot herself??

What I don't understand is why, before Firefight, bullets had passed through Prof's gifted shields but it stopped a bullet when Val shot David. Was it not a gifted shield and one of Prof's own? Surely Val would know the Jackets worn by the Reckoners don't stop bullets...

As for Prof trapping Megan, I'm not sure. Either the bullet passed through the shield, or through a wall. However as said, there does appear to be some inconsistency with profs abilities.

I think it's just that the strength of the force field is variable. Prof's abilities aren't all or nothing, there's a scale. Probably the clearest example of this is how David heals extremely rapidly at first and then much slower when the gifted power starts to run out.

Edit: And I believe the force field protecting David from Val had to be Prof's own. Didn't he just get back to the city? He wouldn't have had time to gift David a force field.

Edited by AndrolGenhald

It was automatic rifle. Bulletproof glass would eventually break with a number of shots, and depending how much concentrated damage it takes. I think Prof's sheilds aren't so much consistent, like AndrolGenhald says. I would think it's how much willpower he puts into these shields...ahem, like Green Lantern, ahem...anyway. We also know he controls the sheilds specific movement. Can make a shape, size, whatnot...

Perhaps it's JUST the windows and not the walls. Also he was found mumbling in disbelief, maybe he let the sheild down as he realized he made a mistake, which is when Megan entered the building, despite the fire.

I think it's because Prof realized he made a mistake after Regalia came and taunted him.  He brought down the forcefield so Megan could remotely fire the rifle to shoot herself before she burned to death.

One thing that does not make sense to me is how the world would Megan know where she should plant the rifle and aim it to in the first place?  Did she figure this out from the messages she received from what she thought was David?

I think it's because Prof realized he made a mistake after Regalia came and taunted him.  He brought down the forcefield so Megan could remotely fire the rifle to shoot herself before she burned to death.

One thing that does not make sense to me is how the world would Megan know where she should plant the rifle and aim it to in the first place?  Did she figure this out from the messages she received from what she thought was David?

Seems almost impossible.

Officially off of probation.

Can I point out how weird this moment was for me? "You just killed my girlfriend! You're the best gun ever!"

EDIT: Am I the only one who totally found it implausible that Megan could have fallen for Prof pretending to be David? No one can possibly fake a bad simile a la David.

Edited by Oudeis

Can I point out how weird this moment was for me? "You just killed my girlfriend! You're the best gun ever!"

EDIT: Am I the only one who totally found it implausible that Megan could have fallen for Prof pretending to be David? No one can possibly fake a bad simile a la David.

I think even David isn´t going to type bad similies after being caught in a burning building.

I also thought that setting up the gun for remote firing was a large stretch. How would she know which room to aim it into? What would have happened if prof had put a larger field around the entire room? How much time did she spend plotting and setting that up before running in to save her love? It doesn't fit together very well. 

Someone mentioned that she should be carrying around a suicide pill. That seems like a pretty decent way to go.

• Chaos locked this topic