Obliteration's comments

Turos

They make me think.

Specifically this one:

"Corrupt," Obliteration whispered. "All men are corrupt. The seed of the Epic is inside each one."

The way Calamity can make someone into an Epic, aparently if they don't resist, doesn't sound like it is something originating from Calamity, only triggered, at least if you agree with Obliteration's musings.

Do humans possess something that will make them into Epics eventually? Something Calamity is only speeding up? Did something else happen that started it all and Calamity was the first or one of the first to manifest? If Calamity was a regular person before, too, what caused that transformation?

An alternative thought is that the "seed of the Epic" is simply fear.

Then again, is "the Epic" a specific noun, indicating a specific person, or does it simply mean the role/occupation/specie?

On another note, I looked back over Obliteration's last confrontation with David and now that I understand what happened to Megan, I wonder if the same thing happened to Obliteration first.

"Thank you," Obliteration whispered. "For the secret. Give my ... regards to Regalia."

Sounds like a change of heart to me.

I know he's a homicidal lunatic who's killed more people than the atom bombs at Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined... but darn it, I really want Obliteration to be redeemed. How great of a victory would that be for the Reckoners--actually winning over one of the most feared and deadly Epics in the world? And none of his actions seem to have done with the calculated malice that characterized Steelheart and Regalia; he is quite genuinely insane and seems to view himself as endowed with divine purpose.

If he were freed from Calamity's corruption and given a new, more moral purpose, Obliteration could make for a worthy champion of good in the Fractured States.

I know he's a homicidal lunatic who's killed more people than the atom bombs at Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined... but darn it, I really want Obliteration to be redeemed. How great of a victory would that be for the Reckoners--actually winning over one of the most feared and deadly Epics in the world? And none of his actions seem to have done with the calculated malice that characterized Steelheart and Regalia; he is quite genuinely insane and seems to view himself as endowed with divine purpose.

If he were freed from Calamity's corruption and given a new, more moral purpose, Obliteration could make for a worthy champion of good in the Fractured States.

Great victory, sure, but it would effectively just serve to put them back into the game. Their leader and founder who just betrayed them now appears to also one of the deadliest Epics in the world :P

Well, better a regenerating force field master than a walking nuke that precognitively teleports I guess.

Probably an icecream salesman. All those cute, snot-nosed kids with their dirty, little hands. You want them to enjoy their icecream, and you want their loose change, but you can't help but wonder what infectious diseases are coating those coins. Then as you drive away to the merry tune emitted from the top of your vehicle, you fall back into the depressive well of knowing you could have done so much more with your life.

That or a telemarketer. Same story, different color.

• Chaos locked this topic