Misread the foreshadowing... again... sigh. [Obviously Spoilers as this is the Spoilers board]]

Turos

I guess I look into things too deeply.

I was trying to keep an eye out for writing techniques being used while reading Firefight. When I got to the part where David is spying on Obliteration and Newton, I thought it was wierd he called her sword skills good. I somehow jumped to the conclusion that her deflection skills were actually her unsheathing her sword blindingly fast to automatically block attacks and push them away.

I read the rest of her involvement in the book thinking that. Suffice it to say, things make more sense now. At least I recognized it as foreshadowing, right?

I also kept seeing Abraham's pendant as something important, though it wasn't at all an implement in any Epic's weakness.

What threw me off the trail for Newton´s weakness is that Regalia praising her when she was searching for David, a guy know to shoot at Epics he knows it won´t work on both just because and to provoke them, was so utterly moronic that that couldn´t possibly be her weakness. Go figure. <_< I did a pretty good job otherwise though.

Once it became clear that Tia and Regalia knew each other personally I began wondering whether Tia was also secretly an Epic (of low power) and that Cola was her weakness, she drinks it to keep herself human.

Later on it became clear that this was never a possibility, An epic cannot use their weakness to control themselves as it would require them overcoming their greatest fear.

Once it became clear that Tia and Regalia knew each other personally I began wondering whether Tia was also secretly an Epic (of low power) and that Cola was her weakness, she drinks it to keep herself human.

Later on it became clear that this was never a possibility, An epic cannot use their weakness to control themselves as it would require them overcoming their greatest fear.

Tecnically it´s possible for an Epic to do so and be completely unaware that they are no longer under corruption. However, given the Rending they would first have to get away from their initial corruption to get to that point, where they are willing to do it.

Tecnically it´s possible for an Epic to do so and be completely unaware that they are no longer under corruption. However, given the Rending they would first have to get away from their initial corruption to get to that point, where they are willing to do it.

Unless she did what David did and got over her fears before she became an Epic. 

(I don't think this is the case, just stating the possibility)

RE - Abraham's pendent

The pendent was important.  But it was an element of David's character development.  David's realized that he no longer hates epics just for being epics.  In fact, he feels somewhat sorry for them now that he knows why they're all evil.  And probably as a result of that, an important sub-plot of the novel is his attempt to get Prof to become a hero.  Toward the end - when he bargains with the street vendor after escaping from Regalia - he has the option to trade the pendent for an item that he needs.  Instead, he keeps it and trades his rubber-soled shoes instead because he realizes that he's adopted the creed that the pendent represents.

• Chaos locked this topic