Prof's weakness

Conflux can power things himself, can't he?

And I'm not sure I would call shockwaves that can carve anything into dust a protective ability. Also seems to have superhuman strength.

Yes he can, he even killed someone with them so I'm pretty sure he could have gone on a Rending.

Yes he can, he even killed someone with them so I'm pretty sure he could have gone on a Rending.

The rule on Rendings seems to be powerful Epic = dangerous Rending, so I don't think it's too much to assume that mid-Rending gifters like Conflux figure out the most deadly uses for gifting. The urge to destroy probably makes them pretty creative.

The rule on Rendings seems to be powerful Epic = dangerous Rending, so I don't think it's too much to assume that mid-Rending gifters like Conflux figure out the most deadly uses for gifting. The urge to destroy probably makes them pretty creative.

Although I don't care how creative Metronome gets, his Rending was never anything more that slightly startling to the people around him. :P

Although I don't care how creative Metronome gets, his Rending was never anything more that slightly startling to the people around him. :P

You can only find so many creative ways to tell people the time. And no offense to Metronome, but popping out of sofa cushions or bathtubs to shout "IT IS NOW THREE-FIFTEEN AM YOU ARE WELCOME" kind of loses its punch after the fourth try. :P

• 3 weeks later...

His powers are clearly protection based, and we're fairly sure powers negate or deal with their weakness in some way. So I'm putting my money in the weakness being somewhere in the field of seeing people come to harm. And seeing as how his weakness has never been activated during the book (to our knowledge), it is probably seeing a very specific group of people come to harm. Next question we must ask ourselves is how did Prof overcome the Rending and regain his senses. Conflux was the only other epic able to do that, and since his powers were limited to solely gifting, I wouldn't be surprised if he never had a rending. My guess is prof experienced his weakness for a long enough time that he couldn't use his powers for a while and was able to become good again. And I think he met his weakness when he destroyed his school on his rendinf

I really like this train of thought. That could also relate to why Tia is MIA- I'm thinking it's entirely possible he has decided not to kill her, but is keeping her somewhere to secure his weakness. (as we have WoB that she knows it)

• Chaos locked this topic