Prof's weakness

Interesting. That could definitely go hand-in-hand with his dislike of contests... especially in something like a slot machine, where he's likely to fail more often than not. That could also make for an interesting moment of truth for him in his redemption (or failure therein) - having to decide to deliberately fail in order to face his fear.

That is a fascinating possibility.

That said I cannot help but suspect it is related to Tia somehow. 

If Tia being threatened is not his weakness, she is dead within the next two hours after the events of Firefight as she is probably the only person that can stop him killing every Reckoner everywhere.

And that is a terrifying possibility... Though it seems like an eventuality that they would've prepped for. Either way, I suspect that Calamity will start out much faster-paced than either of the first two books did, jumping right into the action.

Firefight didn't exactly start slowly, it was all action until someone drank the Kool-Aid.

Ha! Nice. Yes, both started with an action-packed Epic takedown, but it both cases it was there pretty much to kickstart the action, rather than having a proud impact on the rest of the book. I feel like Calamity can forgo this kind of hook, since we already have three High Epics that need to be dealt with, right from the get-go.

Ha! Nice. Yes, both started with an action-packed Epic takedown, but it both cases it was there pretty much to kickstart the action, rather than having a proud impact on the rest of the book. I feel like Calamity can forgo this kind of hook, since we already have three High Epics that need to be dealt with, right from the get-go.

Hmm... who's the third? I'm counting Phaedrus and Obliteration, but I'm not sure who the third High Epic you're talking about is.

Yeah I'm pretty sure Calamity is a high epic.

He's not just a high epic, he's Major Tom from David Bowie's Space Oddity.

Think about it, "For here am I floating round my tin can, far above the moon, planet earth is blue and there's nothing I can do."  He's succumbing to the epic effect.  In fact, that's probably why the launch goes haywire in the firstplace.  That's also why he was lifting off and is in space now.  It makes perfect sense!

As such, his weakness will be the song Major Tom (Coming Home) by Peter Schilling.

I came to this thread to tell you all we don't know anything about Prof's weakness. But... failure kind of makes sense. I think it's a little too generic and a little inconsistent to work without a qualifier of some sorts (e.g. failure to do something), because failure itself is such a broad term. I mean, what if Prof trips when walking down the street - is that a failure to walk? Would it trigger his weakness? Or when he stubs his toe (because let's face it, even Epics are not immune to stubbed toes)? 

The theory I'm going by now is that Prof's weakness is failing to do something that he has deliberately chosen to do. So walking down the street, etc, things that he does by instinct wouldn't set of his "contest" trigger, but making an actual decision to do something would. This also is lent some credence by the fact that he always takes so long to make his plans concrete, and had lots of open ends in them.

I kinda disagree that it is simply failure. He fought for an extended time against Steelheart with the entire plan failing around him in the first book. If failure was his weakness wouldn't that have negated his ability to heal himself, thus killing him? It could still be failure, but I think it would have to be a very specific failure.

Edited by skyeel

Actually, yes. I now doubt it's failure. He floated away on his force fields after failing to kill David - so his weakness wasn't engaged. I'll need to take another look at his behavior in Steelheart, as well as what else he could be afraid of that's related to gambling and contests.

Maybe it works like Steelheart's weakness - that is to say, only a certain kind of person can negate his powers. In Prof's case, that would mean that a person who he'd failed to beat in some kind of contest could defeat him. So, when he failed to kill David, he actually was vulnerable to David killing him. He wasn't vulnerable to Megan because he hadn't really entered into a contest with her, in his mind. He probably was afraid to do so without knowing exactly how her powers work (and rightfully so, it seems like she could effectively block most Epic's powers by employing her heart little universe switcheroo power), so he fled rather than risk actually challenging her and failing.

This makes him quite formidable: As long as he keeps fighting, he cannot be defeated.

His weakness or rather a weakness could be Tia. After all, even before Megan came to the light side of the force, she couldn't kill David and even protected him on several occasions.

"Oh hell, the secret is the power of love. I'm going to be sick."

His weakness or rather a weakness could be Tia. After all, even before Megan came to the light side of the force, she couldn't kill David and even protected him on several occasions.

So you´re proposing that Prof is deadly afraid of Tia, has nightmares about her and in all the time since he´s working with her never confronted said fear?

Anyway, Megan is not exactly the best example of Epic behaviour, given that she barely used her. Just look at the difference between Prof the man that faced down Steelheart with a handicap and Phaedrus that instantly ran away, when faced with someone he couldn´t just slaughter.