Dawnslight and Calamity

gjustice99

Dawnslight powers are kind of weird, and so are his situation and condition, but what he has done doesn't seem even close to the league Calamity is playing in. No, I find it more likely that Regalia petitioned Calamity to gift the kid in a way that would help her create her own utopia in Babylar; and with Dawnslight being in coma, he must've been a pretty safe bet for a receiver for powers greater (or more unique) that the average epic.

Pretty sure Dawnslight was there before Regalia, it seems like he was one of the first Epics.

Edit: Also iirc wasn't he in his forties or something? He may have been in a coma from childhood, but he would have gained powers sometime around his late 20s or early 30s.

Edited by AndrolGenhald

Which raises a question.

Is Calamity actually trying to kill us all by doing this, or is he doling out powers left and right just to see if people would be brave enough to overcome their fears? They'd be even more afraid of their weaknesses now than when they were human, since the things have become . . . you know, weaknesses.

I mean, David has a point here, if something is trying to end the world this is about as efficient as trying to fish with a stick of damp dynamite.

Ooo i just had a thought. Could it be that Calamity is meant to destroy the earth, bring the apocalypse so to speak. He doesn't want to though, so he is gifting his powers to others to keep from going insane and going on a rampage. He is gifting epics in order to save humanity from himself.

Ooo i just had a thought. Could it be that Calamity is meant to destroy the earth, bring the apocalypse so to speak. He doesn't want to though, so he is gifting his powers to others to keep from going insane and going on a rampage. He is gifting epics in order to save humanity from himself.

This is an interesting idea. 

Like it. Not sure I buy it. But I like it.

Brandon is also really good at misdirection, I'm expecting to find out that Calamity is not in fact the source of the Epics. If only because I tend not to believe anything that is "common knowledge" in a Sanderson novel. :)

Like it. Not sure I buy it. But I like it.

Brandon is also really good at misdirection, I'm expecting to find out that Calamity is not in fact the source of the Epics. If only because I tend not to believe anything that is "common knowledge" in a Sanderson novel. :)

Well, if Calamity is an Epic then it already begs the question of where he got his Epic-creation powers to begin with. Be it an actual ability to turn people into Epics, or just being a gifter with essentially almighty powers. Something funny is going on here . . .

Storms, this is mystery is shaping up to be more confounding than seeing an Idrian in bright pink standing in a field of sunflowers. Or . . .something. Stupid language doesn't work well with metaphors. Guess I'll have to stick to similes now.

Is it too close to what Preservation did in Mistborn though with 'snapping' randoms, to see if they could use Allomancy though. A higher being granting people these abilities, with death merely as an unfortunate side effect?

Regalia was surprised just saying no actually worked though. Presumably people have tried that or she wouldn't have that reaction.

Might just be people who can overcome their fears, since that is already the Epic weakness-eliminating trigger. Assuming he really is the source of Epics other than himself.

There's only one question...if the Epic's powers are based on fears and then the fear is gone. Wouldn't the power be gone, too? The weakness of an epic, would it stay the same? What if Megan is just using David after all? We know from the first few chapters of Steelheart that she's a really good actor.

There's only one question...if the Epic's powers are based on fears and then the fear is gone. Wouldn't the power be gone, too? The weakness of an epic, would it stay the same? What if Megan is just using David after all? We know from the first few chapters of Steelheart that she's a really good actor.

Actually, we know from all of Steelheart that she is a really good actress.

Regalia was surprised just saying no actually worked though. Presumably people have tried that or she wouldn't have that reaction.

Might just be people who can overcome their fears, since that is already the Epic weakness-eliminating trigger. Assuming he really is the source of Epics other than himself.

The way I read it, she was surprised David could resist in the first place. Or that he had a choice. Or that he would turn out the gift. 

Calamity made Dawnslight an epic. Regalia didn't have anything to do with it. She says something like "I have no idea why Calamity made a kid in a coma an epic." That makes me think it wasn't her.

I'm thinking the reason he was able to resist the thing is solely a fear thing. All he did was own up to his inadequacy and said that it didn't rule him. Prof is weaker than David for sure in that regard.

Calamity made Dawnslight an epic. Regalia didn't have anything to do with it. She says something like "I have no idea why Calamity made a kid in a coma an epic." That makes me think it wasn't her.

I'm thinking the reason he was able to resist the thing is solely a fear thing. All he did was own up to his inadequacy and said that it didn't rule him. Prof is weaker than David for sure in that regard.

There is a possibility Calamity didn´t create Dawnslight. Epics supposedly only came into exsistence a year after Calamity. The effect of Dawnslight´s powers on the other hand started around the same time as the rise of Calamity, so they might have been created by the same cause or something similar.

So, Calamity and Dawnslight are fundamental opposites? Dawnslight is the benevolent power and Calamity is the evil one? If that's the case, David's going to get some epic powers from Dawnslight.

I don´t know. It´s just a random thought I had. The thing with Dawnslight is that he is one gigantic anomaly in just about everything we assume to know about Epics, he could be Calamaty´s opposite or he could be a "prototype" Epic so badly failed that Calamaty waited a whole year to figure out the proper technique or someting else entirely.