Shardblade vs. Lightsaber

OathGateHereICome

Shardblade vs. Lightsaber  

85 members have voted

1. 1. What weapon would give the advantage to evenly matched skill levels?

• Shardblade
    • Lightsaber

A normal person with a lightsaber < a normal person with a shardblade. A Jedi apprentice with a lightsaber > than a 3rd ideal windrunner.

A lightsaber has no weight on the blade and a shardblade does so a shardblade is easier to wield. It's like fighting with a flashlight(torch to you British fellows) against a stick. You can control the stick better.

The reason a Jedi would beat a windrunner are the reasons my brother stated above.

ollo. This is the poll creators assistant. All so far have made very valid arguments each with distinctive advantages, so I'm going to argue for both sides.

Pros for shard(knight)
-'lightweight'
-can become any 'weapon'(shield)
-healing abilities
-three lashings
-cut through soul
-don't need to breath
-spren

pros for lightsaber(jedi)
-telekinesis
-telepathy
-strength,agility,endurance, etc.
-lightsaber
-snipits of precognition
-mental influence
-doppelganger(replicate image)
-more training

cons of shard(knight)
-limited stormlight
-limited physical application(lack of experience)
-bound by ideals

Con of lightsaber(jedi)
-physical limitations(abilities limited by strength of will)
-strict rules of conduct
-general pacifistic nature

Variables to consider or variations of topic
-different light weapons(look up the book'the jedi path')
-possible jedi sith
-shardplate
-different knight orders
-jedi orders

For clarification we are basing this off the assumption that shardblades and lightsabers will make contact. Feel free to add to the list of pros and cons and we will add the variables to our bracket.

Also, when adding to the list, please site sources for verification of it being cannon

Edited by OathGateHereICome

Pssssstt...... Dunkum..... That's what precognition means.... And a Radiant also has enhanced speed and strength. And natural fighting skills so that almost evens up the score.

and there it is, my eyes must have just skipped over that line

Jedi will still win but not outright. It would be a good fight but the Jedi will win because of the Force. I really want to say that a Radiant will win but the Jedi will win just because radiants run out of stormlight.

though after going through this thread, I would like to see the fight animated.  It would be pretty amazing, visually

You missed probably the most important jedi advantage: forsight. Jedi reflexes, as described, are extremely similar to someone burning atium, which is a huge advantage.

I seem to recall a time when that Jedi precognition failed.... Execute order 66....

Also, even though it was mentione Windrunners get a serious combat skill buff simply by being wind runners. Also I don't think anyone has really brought in the factor of where they're fighting. I lean towards the Shardblade for various reasons, but I think this is turning into a Radiants vs Jedi post at this point.

Edited by Nahlion Dahlyr

I seem to recall a time when that Jedi precognition failed.... Execute order 66....

Also, even though it was mentione Windrunners get a serious combat skill buff simply by being wind runners. Also I don't think anyone has really brought in the factor of where they're fighting. I lean towards the Shardblade for various reasons, but I think this is turning into a Radiants vs Jedi post at this point.

I don't think pre-cognition failed then. You don't see them just being gunned down fir the most part.

And a Radiant also has enhanced speed and strength. And natural fighting skills so that almost evens up the score.

Radiants do NOT have natural fighting skills. In WoK chapter 68 it states, "Stormlight did not grant skill. It could not make a man into something he was not. It enhanced, it strengthened, it invigorated. It perfected." In other words, Kaladin is already a really good fighter, but the improved speed, stamina, and reaction time granted by stormlight raise his abilities to new heights. This is further supported in WoR chapter 82 when Kaladin learns that he can still fight without stormlight, just not as well.

(After he broke the bond with Syl he tried to practice on the practice grounds but couldn't. When he goes to save the king he defeats the two guards and then thinks "At least he knew he could still fight without stormlight.")

Szeth, the only other person we see fighting with stormlight, also had training, at least in hand-to-hand combat.

Windrunners do, it mentions it in WoR, Kaladin was already talented from what I can tell, the bond just amplified it.

I think the problem is that one of you understands "natural fighting skills of KR" as "fighting skills obtained from the Nahel Bond", and the other as "natural-born talent for fighting". Because it is true that Nahel Bond does not grant fighting skills to KR, but it is also true that Windrunners are generally really good at fighting, and Kaladin seems to have talent for that.

So it is actually interesting. Does a spren choose a person with appropriate skills (like fighting and leading skills for Windrunners, manipulation and mnemonic abilities for Lightweavers, etc.) as well as appropriate character (being honorable, etc.), or does a spren choose a person only based on the character and the skills that are common in the order are somehow coincidental? Maybe it's persons character that somehow makes a person better in one thing than the other (like, when you lie repeatedly, you become better and better at lying). So could there be a Windrunner that's terrible at fighting? How would such Windrunner use his powers then?

Edited by Pestis the Spider