Sirscott13

Firefight talk (SPOILERS!!! do not read before book)

85 posts in this topic

My best guess to the series is that Calamity is an allusion to the apple in the Garden of Eden, or Pandora's box. A manifestation of temptation incarnate. 

I really like that idea (except for the Knowledge being a bad thing theme in the original story).

My best guess to the series is that Calamity is an allusion to the apple in the Garden of Eden, or Pandora's box. A manifestation of temptation incarnate. 

I really like that idea (except for the Knowledge being a bad thing theme in the original story).

I really want to talk about concupiscence now.  Nerd?  Maybe. ;)

I've managed to read through this whole thread now, though no other Firefight spoiler threads yet, and am wondering:  Is the general consensus that facing your fear is what fights off the Case of the Epic Crazies, or is it acting in love despite the fear?  (Hope that question makes sense.)

I really want to talk about concupiscence now.  Nerd?  Maybe. ;)

I've managed to read through this whole thread now, though no other Firefight spoiler threads yet, and am wondering:  Is the general consensus that facing your fear is what fights off the Case of the Epic Crazies, or is it acting in love despite the fear?  (Hope that question makes sense.)

From what I have seen the coin is still up wheter you have to actually face your fear or if it´s enough to get over it in a more generall way but I have never really seen the power of love brought into it.

From what I have seen the coin is still up wheter you have to actually face your fear or if it´s enough to get over it in a more generall way but I have never really seen the power of love brought into it.

My friend and I were talking today about the book, and she mentioned the power of love thing.  That got me wondering.  It would certainly be cleaner and less subjective if it was just about facing your fear.

(Edit to fix typo.)

Edited by traceria

Maybe Calamity is actually David.  Having absorbed all Epic powers in order to restore their humanity, he then travels back in time to create the timeline that he knows will result in the human race surviving and the Epics going away.

Really? Do you mind explaining why you would think that? To me that....doesn't make a shred of sense. This begins on an assumption that we have little to no evidence of, the idea that David can absorb Epic powers. Then it assumes there's a time-travel power for him to absorb. Then it assumes that he would deliberately go back in time, only to, as you say, become Calamity and create the problems that have thrown the world into chaos? And that this would be in order to create the timeline that will result in the human race surviving and Epics going away, even though the Epics wouldn't have existed had Calamity (supposedly time-traveling David in this theory) not gone back in time and made them in the first place? Am I the only one this doesn't make sense to, or am I missing something here?

Possible but how about a manifestation of human corruption. Like RShara said, knowledge is the temptation in those stories. Knowledge seems more like the weapon of the Reckoners where raw power and hatred is the theme of Epics. Maybe Calamity is an epic maybe Calamity is an Angel, maybe Calamity is the result of human experimentation. I personally like the idea of the angel thing. Has anyone looked up all of Obliteration's bible quotes? Quite interesting. 

Really? Do you mind explaining why you would think that? To me that....doesn't make a shred of sense. This begins on an assumption that we have little to no evidence of, the idea that David can absorb Epic powers. Then it assumes there's a time-travel power for him to absorb. Then it assumes that he would deliberately go back in time, only to, as you say, become Calamity and create the problems that have thrown the world into chaos? And that this would be in order to create the timeline that will result in the human race surviving and Epics going away, even though the Epics wouldn't have existed had Calamity (supposedly time-traveling David in this theory) not gone back in time and made them in the first place? Am I the only one this doesn't make sense to, or am I missing something here?

I was only partially serious on that.  Obviously, it's wild speculation based on (as you noted) absolutely baseless assumptions.  But it's an interesting possibility!

I was only partially serious on that.  Obviously, it's wild speculation based on (as you noted) absolutely baseless assumptions.  But it's an interesting possibility!

The way I see it this form is 20% actual speculation and theory that turns out to be at least half true in the end...

While the other 80% is based on crazy theories where we try and fail to define the worlds of Brandon. 

And because were all so 'Stoopid' we tend to forget to emphasize the craziness of our speculations

My friend and I were talking today about the book, and she mentioned the power of love thing.  That got me wondering.  It would certainly be cleaner and less subjective if it was just about facing your fear.

(Edit to fix typo.)

Please tell me I'm not the only one who does a little head-flip thing and sings, "That's the pooowwwer of LOVE!" Back-to-the-Future style every time they read that phrase.  :)

Maybe Calamity is actually David.  Having absorbed all Epic powers in order to restore their humanity, he then travels back in time to create the timeline that he knows will result in the human race surviving and the Epics going away.

Well the only way I could see Calamity being David is if Calamity was another reality's version of him given that Megan's power shows us those are a thing in the Reckonerverse. And if we go with that it could explain why Calamity failed to turn David into an Epic: guy cannot gift himself.