[SPOILERS] Finished Firefight

the winter system

A few hours ago, I finished Firefight.

2016? Grr

Anyway, I REALLY REALLY WANT MORE!

NOT ENOUGH NOT ENOUGH NOT ENOUGH!!!!!! AGH!!!!

Anyway, I really hoped that there was going to be an explination about how Epics defy laws of physics. Then I got an Epic that gifted other Epics their powers. Not a good enough explination. I was glad that Megan finally pointed out that David didn't suck at metaphors because they were really similes. I loved the whole "Power of love" thing that Megan was complaining about. I might post more thoughts in this topic of mine later, when I'm actually allowed on this website and not being TOTALLY sneaky.

I thought it was starting to drag a bit towards the early-middle, but it picked up smartly enough in a few chapters and was pretty good. Definitely a different book from Steelheart; maybe better all things said.

I just want to say that using a sword to stab an elderly bedridden preacher with cancer to death is the worst thing any Sanderson character has ever done. It's a tribute to the author's extraordinary talent that the event was so natural and justifiable under the circumstances. :P

I just want to say that using a sword to stab an elderly bedridden preacher with cancer to death is the worst thing any Sanderson character has ever done. It's a tribute to the author's extraordinary talent that the event was so natural and justifiable under the circumstances. :P

Yes. :mellow: In almost any other book, that would have been an action conscionable only for a villain's Moral Event Horizon. But in Firefight…well, I can't be the only one who didn't feel sorry for Regalia. 

I wonder if Sanderson put that in there just to see if he could pull it off. :huh: 

Yes. :mellow: In almost any other book, that would have been an action conscionable only for a villain's Moral Event Horizon. But in Firefight…well, I can't be the only one who didn't feel sorry for Regalia. 

I wonder if Sanderson put that in there just to see if he could pull it off. :huh:

Undoubtedly so. A lot of the Epics we see are ruthlessly pragmatic--Deathpoint decides to massacre the people at the bank because he wants convenience in the future. Steelheart murders thousands because he wants people to fear him. Obliteration destroys entire cities because... well, he seems to have his reasons.

But Regalia was sadistic. She expressed a level of unadulterated joy at the prospect of watching David murder his former friends. Her scheme through the book had no self-serving purpose--she just wanted to see an old friend corrupted before she died.

If there were one elderly bedridden preacher with cancer in fiction who deserved to be stabbed to death with a sword, it would be Abigail Reed.

• Chaos locked this topic