Firefight Spoilers discussion

Sparks

I think that Tia and Phaedrus are going to be the most likely ones to sacrifice themselves in some way in Calamity. My thoughts are that either Tia will sacrifice herself to help bring down Prof or Phaedrus will sacrifice himself to stop Calamity.

Hmm I can actually see that. Prof can use his forcefield to fly and he can also create a forcefield bubble of it to move underwater (presumably holding air inside it), so even if Calamity is on the Earth's orbit it won't be a stretch to say that he can reach him/it by using his Epic powers.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic book. Expanded so much of what we know, and was the perfect Empire Strikes Back-esque middle book in this series. Looking forward, though, I really hope Sanderson doesn't kill Megan.... Again... in book 3. 1.) I would be very upset, and, more importantly, 2.) I have to believe he is a better writer than to kill the same character three times in a row in three subsequent books. He killed her once. It was devastatingly well written. She came back, it was equally joyful and problematic. She is killed again, seemingly for real, and is reincarnated in a much more literal rebirth as a better, stronger, more independent character. Those two deaths were well played and worked, but if then, at the end of this, she ends up dead... It just feels unnecessary, and diminishing to the value of those first two deaths, and purely to make people sad. I want to believe it won't happen, but there is a certain level of genre savvy in me that thinks it might.

Book was great, though it did give me an A Certain Scientific Railgun vibe for some reason. Though admittedly, there is probably no powerset which won't remind me of something else.

I did like how the Reckoners at least made an attempt to exploit their way around powers without needing the associated weaknesses, but I'd have appreciated it actually working out for them at least once.

Also, I totally called the technological replication of Epic powers

Edited by name_here

Book was great, though it did give me an A Certain Scientific Railgun vibe for

Though admittedly, there is probably no powerset which won't remind me of something else.

I did like how the Reckoners at least made an attempt to exploit their way around powers without needing the associated weaknesses, but I'd have appreciated it actually working out for them at least once.

Also, I totally called the technological replication of Epic powers

As much as Misaka is one of the better love interests for that series, Accelerator is just too OP against espers. His powers are just stupid against opponents grounded in normal physics (and somewhat weak against anything else >_>).

But why him of all people to be reminded of?

As much as Misaka is one of the better love interests for that series, Accelerator is just too OP against espers. His powers are just stupid against opponents grounded in normal physics (and somewhat weak against anything else >_>).

But why him of all people to be reminded of?

Probably because Accelerator has Newton's powers on crack.

Probably because Accelerator has Newton's powers on crack.

Ayup. Likewise, Mikoto and Sourcefield, though with more focus on the -magnetic part of electromagnetic and without the turning into lighting thing. But she would be equally happy fighting in a city comprised entirely of steel.

Accelerator is worse than Newton on crack. He reflects anything from bullets to explosions to teleportation. He can do damnation near anything within his powers within the bounds of physical phenomena. Tanks God's Purge without a scratch. And yet he's far from OP in that series :P

Mikoto is awesome though. Though her Sisters account for 99% of the harem.

Sorry if this has already been posted I'm just a little confused as to some points on Firefight. One Why did Obliteration not kill David- after he teleported with him I don't understand why he didn't finish the job, or why he just left with another one of his biblical mumbo jumbo. Another issue is if Calamity is this amazing Gifter Epic-why does he just contact Regalia. I think Calamity might has a history with Prof even from back in the hay day, or like always he's not telling us as much as he knows. Lastly if apparently Firefight is reality God twisting epic powers (i know she can't use her powers that well unless just reincarnated) But why does she not fix some major aspects with her reality powers like instead of force bubbling Prof with his own powers-Lock him away somewhere- or automatically bring up his weakness.

Whatever. Somethings are just nitpicking-really wanted to know about obliteration??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just finished the book about 30 minutes ago, so I'm still not sure where I stand on the "Is David an Epic or not" question. I can see it both ways, and I'm not sure which I want to be true.

If David is an epic, I think his powers are not stealing other Epic's powers, but rather being able to detect Epics and also being able to manipulate other people's emotions.  (So, in other words, he can do things both a seeker and a soother can do.  And what about working the sypril so well?  Coinshotting, anyone? OMG DAVID'S A MISTBORN!!)

But I think it's just as likely that David is an idealistic kid who's working his butt off as a Reckoner, and that devotion and work ethic makes people respect him. And the fact that he had studied epics so intensely for the better part of a decade means that he just inately knows what to look for in an epic's mannerisms, so he can usually figure out who the (non-camouflaged) epics are.

I can see it either way, and I can't wait to see how it all works out in Calamity.

At the beginning of Steelheart, David said he was always able to spot Epics, even though others said it was impossible. The dowser testifies if you're an Epic. Some other people mentioned this, but David could always master Epic-related technology, such as the syril and the tenser easily. I also think that the dowser is a form of Epic-related technology. My theory is that he's an Epic who can use other Epic's powers, so it will give the appearance that he's not an Epic, because powers can still be gifted to him, but in reality, that's his power. 

At the beginning of Steelheart, David said he was always able to spot Epics, even though others said it was impossible. The dowser testifies if you're an Epic. Some other people mentioned this, but David could always master Epic-related technology, such as the syril and the tenser easily. I also think that the dowser is a form of Epic-related technology. My theory is that he's an Epic who can use other Epic's powers, so it will give the appearance that he's not an Epic, because powers can still be gifted to him, but in reality, that's his power. 

In the scene with Calamity, it seemed pretty clear to me that he rejected the powers. And Regalia seemed convinced that David rejected the powers as well, because Calamity wasn't telling her why. If David was indeed an Epic, wouldn't Calamity have told Regalia as much? 

meh, i think that is too meta of a power. There is no precedent for it.

No other Epic power we have ever encountered or heard of is a meta-power- as in, a power that affects or relies on other Epic powers. You know, you could stick any one known Epic in out world and their powers would be unaffected- if we take your theory to be true, if David gets stuck in our world, he effectively has no powers, as he relies on other Epics.

Also didn't they check him with the Dowser?

He wasn't checked with the dowser, and nobody gifted to him after his encounter with Calamity, so we can't be sure yet. This kind of reminds me of the situation with Joel in the Rithmatist.

He wasn't checked with the dowser, and nobody gifted to him after his encounter with Calamity, so we can't be sure yet. This kind of reminds me of the situation with Joel in the Rithmatist.

But your argument is based on abilities David had since the beginning of book one. So how did he gain those only after his meeting with Calamity. Prof also did gift some of his powers to him.

David was checked with the dowser in Book 1, where he got a negative reading.

But your argument is based on abilities David had since the beginning of book one. So how did he gain those only after his meeting with Calamity. Prof also did gift some of his powers to him.

We think Prof. gifted him some powers. The proposed stealing/leeching of powers is still possible, particularly if the specifics of how the power works doesn't feel any different to David than being gifted powers does.

I personally think David does have a power/powers, because it feels rather unlike Brandon to mention "thematically appropriate," a potentially meta addition to the story, but then not give them to David. As far as what thematically appropriate means, I was of the opinion it would have to do with discovering weaknesses or hording information. It could also be increased reflexes and physical abilities. There's a lot of possibilities. Of course, not having some form of a leeching power doesn't explain how David was "gifted" Prof's healing abilities without it meaning David has no powers. Unless an Epic who has overcame their fears suddenly is able to be gifted powers.