Firefight Spoilers discussion

Sparks

I can't believe I just sped read through all of Firefight! At least I have a first hand feel for the compulsion Epics feel. :D

First of all, this could be a Cosmere book. I know it's not, because Brandon doesn't want it to be, but Calamity feels very much like the Shard of Fear. Ironically, is what Calamity fears Fear itself? By gifting all these powers to fearful people, is he trying to empower them against their worst fears?

Second, I'm confused on the conquering fears aspect. Epics are fearful, it's in their core nature, like a soul being broken in a very specific way. David conquered his fear, and he lost (or rejected outright) his gifted power from Calamity. Megan conquered her fear and seemed to grow stronger in her powers because of it. Does that mean David still has access to his gift, but conquering his fear allows him to consciously choose not to use it or be ruled by it? And/or does it mean Megan can reject her gift as well through conquering her fear?

Also, something's totally strange with David. And not in a powers from Calamity vibe. His ability to instill confidence and warp others to his needs by sheer willpower is very ta'averen. In a Mat sort of way. Everyone else in the book remarking on this cannot be an accident.

Edit:I had opened another discussion a couple of minutes after Sparks, but it's better to have only one so I'll copy my post.

Man, this book was good. I think I liked it more the Steelheart actually.

I had spotted a couple of twist in advance, like Regalia's objective, but I certainly didn't expect her to try to make David an Epic. And neither her having such a direct contact with Calamity.

As for the characters, I liked Missy very much, and compared to first book I found Megan way more likeable (I guess the power of love changed her), and I think a couple of David's metaphors, or similes, were actually good this time.

My only complaint is that I want more and I want more now, lol

I was super bummed about Prof getting caught by Regalia's trap, but I still have hope for him, though ultimately I think it's going to end up with David having to put him down, just because of the conversation they had early on about it being a mercy, much like putting down a rabid dog. Though Brandon has been known to deceive us before, the foreshadowing implications there are pretty strong.

I'm curious about David too, throughout a lot of Steelheart I felt that maybe he was something of an epic-in-the-making because things things didn't always seem to add up, in addition to his ability to inspire people like Sparks said. Seeing how Calamity grants powers though, it kills a lot of my old theory/suspicion, but I do have the same question. Did he outright reject the power and get nothing? Or did something change in him, giving him yet unseen powers that aren't actually giving the typical moral decay that we see with other epics.

The other thing that I think is extremely curious is David's almost innate ability to pick up on how to use other epic powers. We saw in Steelheart that he quickly became one of the best in the team with the tensors, and in Firefight, he picked up the spyril, another epic power exceptionally quickly.

Can we theorize, now that we know that Calamity itself is an epic, that the ultimate end-goal is going to be to search out a way to kill the first and foremost epic of them all? I think Prof is going to be a huge part of the next book, but ultimately, bringing him down, or bringing back his sanity, whichever it ends up being is still going to be just a battle in the greater scheme of things, and as they mentioned several times, killing Steelheart, and now Regalia and Obliteration, they've started a war, and they've committed to winning the larger war, not just individual battles with singular epics.

Now to wait for the book Calamity :(

There's not nearly enough posts here yet to spend hours reading discussion to try to sate my thirst for more. :(

Edited by Shadow Guardian

I must say....while I enjoyed Steelheart....Firefight has gone and done what many of Sanderson's other books (and other Author's books of course) have done and left me a broken wretch hungry for more.

While I experienced some minor disappointment at David not accepting 'Epicness' (This is now a thing) and forming the dynamic duo with Megan, or possibly the terrific trio with the Prof as well, I understand and no doubt enjoy what happened a great deal more (Grass is always greener etc). Can't have every childish need fufilled =p.

The part with it being about overcoming fears and Megan showing up etc made me scream...like a young female child...at 4am...waking half the house...because I didn't stop reading till I was done.

I'm now almost as excited for Calamity as I am for book three of Stormlight....Sanderson can only be considered my favourite author by this point and considering I stumbled upon him due to WOT =D.

I even religiously follow many of his writing tips in my own 'Authorising' (Another word which is now a thing...sounds better than saying random short stories and half done world-building).

The title 'Calamity' certainly makes me think they are going to blow up the moon(Calamity)...possibly with a giant laser.

Also finished firefight. It felt a bit better than Steelheart, if only because less of the book was devoted to solving an obvious mystery. It was still fairly predictable in direction, though, and weirdly inconsistent in where it seemed to be going. Given Brandon's tendencies, I knew it was going to delve more into the basis of epic-ness and the origin/weakness of powers. It seemed really disjointed though, as if Sanderson changed where he wanted the story to go multiple times and never had it properly edited. It's odd, because I think this is the first time I've finished a Sanderson book and felt so equivocal about it.

So the big reveal is that Epics have weaknesses based on their fears, and if they face and overcome that fear then they don't turn evil when they use their powers (or that they can reject said power outright). That the second book hinges on fear again, after that was the key revelation of book one was a bit of a disappointment, but it's a secondary issue to the bigger problems with the plot.

Regalia is another city ruling epic who is Evil but not super duper Evil, and her city has some working infrastructure, similar to Steelheart. And she keeps trying to draw Prof to the city by trying to kill our plucky heroes, but explicitly doesn't try to attack Prof himself. What a mysterious situation! So we head to Manhattan to figure things out, and, coincidentally, the Love Interest is there.

At the start it looks like Regalia is at the least conflicted about killing, and clearly there are non-destructive powers being used in the city. Regalia repeatedly refuses to kill our heroes for some reason which is never really explained. There are all sorts of hints about the people in Manhattan being oddly passive in the face of danger, and new/changing Epic powers that I thought would be related to power-gifting or something related (and possible constructive uses of powers). Or that the emotional state or intention when using powers might influence the effect on character, and that was something Regalia was trying to manipulate in Prof, or control in herself.

But no, it's all a weird ploy to make Prof use too much power and turn evil, even though that already almost happened in book 1, and straight up attacking him regardless of locale might achieve the same result. Megan was specifically sought out to seduce David for handwavey reasons that are never developed, and aren't just contrivances to bring them into proximity.

The conflict is also devoid of reasonable motive - if she's dying, why on earth would she care about making him evil? Why not try and steal his healing power, since she's shown she can apparently manipulate and transplant epic powers? Or why not just kill all his buddies, then make him use his powers when he doesn't have help that might prevent her diabolical scheme from working?

If the idea is that she wants a successor to rule her city, its especially hokey given the reveal that she's goatee-strokingly evil when she tries to Epic-ise David.

By now I think most of us are used to Sanderson trying to put a redemptive spin on the major villains in his stories, and this might be his lead in to retroactive redemption of Regalia when this all ends up vital to defeating Calamity. I just feel like if that's the direction he's taking things there are just way too many weird plot holes and misdirections. I'm not used to this from Sanderson at all, and I'm honestly quite curious as to what happened when he was (re-?) writing the book, because it is really feels like significant changes were made to the direction of the story without cleaning up the dangling plot pieces.

David reminds me of Devin from warbreaker prime.  His ability to boost people's confidence is exceptional and his faith that they will do the right thing is unwavering.  He makes every effort to bring out the best in them.  Even the scene with the Prof at the end, David's faith is remarkable.  

I was hoping that David was going to receive epic powers, just to see the reaction from the rest of the Reckoners when he found them but had them under control.  That being said, I dont think we have seen the last of David having super powers.  

Anyway, I really enjoyed it.  Got me hooked way faster than Steelheart, but I didnt know the characters at the start.  If someone could explain to me what happened when Megan was killed, I would appreciate it.  Was the Megan that David found in the building not the real one?

Great read.  Absolutely loved it, stayed up all night to finish it and my parents were pissed.  Too bad Im still on break.  

Edited by lordofsoup

Megan did really die, but it wasn't due to the fire. Suspecting a trap, she rigged David's gun up, pointing at the window of the room he was supposedly in. When she went inside, realizing the trap she used the remote control to fire the gun at herself, so she was killed by a bullet rather than by the flames, so she could reincarnate. Does that make sense? I personally thought it stretched the bounds of plausibility, but that's just me.

Yeah I woulda thought having her shoot herself with a hidden handgun/or some other form of suicide would make more sense...but she was versus the Prof so some deviousness was needed. Also this force bubble I assume dissipated once the flames got really high? Or did it let heat through because Prof wanted it too?

I'm curious about David too, throughout a lot of Steelheart I felt that maybe he was something of an epic-in-the-making because things things didn't always seem to add up, in addition to his ability to inspire people like Sparks said. Seeing how Calamity grants powers though, it kills a lot of my old theory/suspicion, but I do have the same question. Did he outright reject the power and get nothing? Or did something change in him, giving him yet unseen powers that aren't actually giving the typical moral decay that we see with other epics.

The other thing that I think is extremely curious is David's almost innate ability to pick up on how to use other epic powers. We saw in Steelheart that he quickly became one of the best in the team with the tensors, and in Firefight, he picked up the spyril, another epic power exceptionally quickly.

While I experienced some minor disappointment at David not accepting 'Epicness' (This is now a thing) and forming the dynamic duo with Megan, or possibly the terrific trio with the Prof as well, I understand and no doubt enjoy what happened a great deal more (Grass is always greener etc). Can't have every childish need fufilled =p.

I mentioned this is another thread, but I am pretty positive that David was granted epic powers, he just doesn't realize it, because he didn't do the usual "rending" that normally follows obtaining Epicness.

Megan faced her fire fear, risking death (even if she had a backup plan, she still knew she could die), and was freed from the corrupting influence of her powers, but she retained the powers themselves. She regenerated, and could still make dimensional illusions.

When David was being Epic-ized, he looked at the water and decided that he would drown himself (arguably his biggest fear at the time, and certainly he had had more than one near death experience in the water) rather than go on a killing rampage. Then he rejects Calamity tempting him, and assumes that he didn't get any power. I think he just rejected the corruption. He has the powers, he just doesn't know what they are. And he's a High Epic, because he has two miraculous escapes fromc ertain death between there and the end of the book.

First, on page 392, during his confrontation with Obliteration. There is a burst of heat so powerful it overwhelms the forcefield. Half of David is vaporized. A fraction of a moment later, he's regenerated. He never thinks about it again. Probably busy being overwhelmed, and if he put any thought into it, he'd just write it off as having imagined the forcefield failing or something. Certainly, as the fight continues, the force field fails more and more, and he is left with several injuries. But none of them are mortal, and like Megan, it's not unreasonable to assume that his protective/regenerative powers are only triggered as a final protection against death.

Then, on page 410, when Phaedrus tries to crush him with a force field, the way he killed Val, David magically teleports outside fo the field without seeming to move (or maybe he teleported the forcefield away from himself?), much the same way that Sims teleport out of their beds when they're blocked in on all sides and the bed catches fire....not that I would know anything about that. :rolleyes: Anyway, right as that happens, Megan is regenerating, so it's put down to her interference. On the next page, Prof tries again, and the forcfield magically teleports itself to surround Prof. David credits Megan, and while she is supposed to be capable of greater feats right after she regenerates, I don't think she was there in time for the first save. Pretty sure it was David. He's just an unknowing epic.

David cannot be Epic.

That is a fact, and I will hereby prove it.

(wait for it...)

He is Gifted some Epic powers by Prof.

Also...

Megan is weird. And David, while not being Epic, certainly has something going on with him.

And I might know a big secret about Calamity.

And sorry if what I say doesnt make sense, it's near midnight and I just spent hours reding that book almost nonstopish.

That is all.

Well, except for this quote chain.

I can't believe I just sped read through all of Firefight! At least I have a first hand feel for the compulsion Epics feel. :D

First of all, this could be a Cosmere book. I know it's not, because Brandon doesn't want it to be, but Calamity feels very much like the Shard of Fear. Ironically, is what Calamity fears Fear itself? By gifting all these powers to fearful people, is he trying to empower them against their worst fears?

Second, I'm confused on the conquering fears aspect. Epics are fearful, it's in their core nature, like a soul being broken in a very specific way. David conquered his fear, and he lost (or rejected outright) his gifted power from Calamity. Megan conquered her fear and seemed to grow stronger in her powers because of it. Does that mean David still has access to his gift, but conquering his fear allows him to consciously choose not to use it or be ruled by it? And/or does it mean Megan can reject her gift as well through conquering her fear?

Also, something's totally strange with David. And not in a powers from Calamity vibe. His ability to instill confidence and warp others to his needs by sheer willpower is very ta'averen. In a Mat sort of way. Everyone else in the book remarking on this cannot be an accident.

I noticed David's non-Epic gift as well. Maybe... Maybe there's something else, and so instead of being an Epic he's... an Awesome or something? Lol. Dunno. Anyway, that was sticking out to me even before it was mentioned about 8 times.

My only complaint is that I want more and I want more now, lol

I was super bummed about Prof getting caught by Regalia's trap, but I still have hope for him, though ultimately I think it's going to end up with David having to put him down, just because of the conversation they had early on about it being a mercy, much like putting down a rabid dog. Though Brandon has been known to deceive us before, the foreshadowing implications there are pretty strong.

Can we theorize, now that we know that Calamity itself is an epic, that the ultimate end-goal is going to be to search out a way to kill the first and foremost epic of them all? I think Prof is going to be a huge part of the next book, but ultimately, bringing him down, or bringing back his sanity, whichever it ends up being is still going to be just a battle in the greater scheme of things, and as they mentioned several times, killing Steelheart, and now Regalia and Obliteration, they've started a war, and they've committed to winning the larger war, not just individual battles with singular epics.

Now to wait for the book Calamity :(

There's not nearly enough posts here yet to spend hours reading discussion to try to sate my thirst for more. :(

Again, I noticed a lot of this. So I'll try to put my responses in order.

I hope Megan replaces Prof with a good version, one that doesnt even remember killing everyone, because otherwise he'll still at least be.. different from that...

I noticed everything mentioned in the second paragraph you have their. Rather intriguing, actually. I noticed the Epic powers and how he uses them easily in the first book, and was furthered by his development in book 2. I figured something was going on with him the whole time.

And as I said above, I dont believe he can be Epic because Prof Gifted to him. Unless his power is absorbing other ones, or healing and shilding that for some reason randomly stopped working...?

Forgot everything else I had to say.

Also finished firefight. It felt a bit better than Steelheart, if only because less of the book was devoted to solving an obvious mystery. It was still fairly predictable in direction, though, and weirdly inconsistent in where it seemed to be going. Given Brandon's tendencies, I knew it was going to delve more into the basis of epic-ness and the origin/weakness of powers. It seemed really disjointed though, as if Sanderson changed where he wanted the story to go multiple times and never had it properly edited. It's odd, because I think this is the first time I've finished a Sanderson book and felt so equivocal about it.

So the big reveal is that Epics have weaknesses based on their fears, and if they face and overcome that fear then they don't turn evil when they use their powers (or that they can reject said power outright). That the second book hinges on fear again, after that was the key revelation of book one was a bit of a disappointment, but it's a secondary issue to the bigger problems with the plot.

Regalia is another city ruling epic who is Evil but not super duper Evil, and her city has some working infrastructure, similar to Steelheart. And she keeps trying to draw Prof to the city by trying to kill our plucky heroes, but explicitly doesn't try to attack Prof himself. What a mysterious situation! So we head to Manhattan to figure things out, and, coincidentally, the Love Interest is there.

At the start it looks like Regalia is at the least conflicted about killing, and clearly there are non-destructive powers being used in the city. Regalia repeatedly refuses to kill our heroes for some reason which is never really explained. There are all sorts of hints about the people in Manhattan being oddly passive in the face of danger, and new/changing Epic powers that I thought would be related to power-gifting or something related (and possible constructive uses of powers). Or that the emotional state or intention when using powers might influence the effect on character, and that was something Regalia was trying to manipulate in Prof, or control in herself.

But no, it's all a weird ploy to make Prof use too much power and turn evil, even though that already almost happened in book 1, and straight up attacking him regardless of locale might achieve the same result. Megan was specifically sought out to seduce David for handwavey reasons that are never developed, and aren't just contrivances to bring them into proximity.

The conflict is also devoid of reasonable motive - if she's dying, why on earth would she care about making him evil? Why not try and steal his healing power, since she's shown she can apparently manipulate and transplant epic powers? Or why not just kill all his buddies, then make him use his powers when he doesn't have help that might prevent her diabolical scheme from working?

If the idea is that she wants a successor to rule her city, its especially hokey given the reveal that she's goatee-strokingly evil when she tries to Epic-ise David.

By now I think most of us are used to Sanderson trying to put a redemptive spin on the major villains in his stories, and this might be his lead in to retroactive redemption of Regalia when this all ends up vital to defeating Calamity. I just feel like if that's the direction he's taking things there are just way too many weird plot holes and misdirections. I'm not used to this from Sanderson at all, and I'm honestly quite curious as to what happened when he was (re-?) writing the book, because it is really feels like significant changes were made to the direction of the story without cleaning up the dangling plot pieces.

She tried to make David an Epic to destroy a bunch of Rekoners, suspecting Prof would survive.

She did not kill Prof because she wanted a successor.

I just felt that David was getting a lot of new information and trying to process it all... Not like the book changed directions or anything.

Megan did really die, but it wasn't due to the fire. Suspecting a trap, she rigged David's gun up, pointing at the window of the room he was supposedly in. When she went inside, realizing the trap she used the remote control to fire the gun at herself, so she was killed by a bullet rather than by the flames, so she could reincarnate. Does that make sense? I personally thought it stretched the bounds of plausibility, but that's just me.

It makes perfect sense. And it's a lot easier and faster to push a button than it is to put a gun to your head and shoot.

Also, she liked the gun and didnt want to get it destroyed, and that way she could do it while carrying David if things got too bad.

I mentioned this is another thread, but I am pretty positive that David was granted epic powers, he just doesn't realize it, because he didn't do the usual "rending" that normally follows obtaining Epicness.

Megan faced her fire fear, risking death (even if she had a backup plan, she still knew she could die), and was freed from the corrupting influence of her powers, but she retained the powers themselves. She regenerated, and could still make dimensional illusions.

When David was being Epic-ized, he looked at the water and decided that he would drown himself (arguably his biggest fear at the time, and certainly he had had more than one near death experience in the water) rather than go on a killing rampage. Then he rejects Calamity tempting him, and assumes that he didn't get any power. I think he just rejected the corruption. He has the powers, he just doesn't know what they are. And he's a High Epic, because he has two miraculous escapes fromc ertain death between there and the end of the book.

First, on page 392, during his confrontation with Obliteration. There is a burst of heat so powerful it overwhelms the forcefield. Half of David is vaporized. A fraction of a moment later, he's regenerated. He never thinks about it again. Probably busy being overwhelmed, and if he put any thought into it, he'd just write it off as having imagined the forcefield failing or something. Certainly, as the fight continues, the force field fails more and more, and he is left with several injuries. But none of them are mortal, and like Megan, it's not unreasonable to assume that his protective/regenerative powers are only triggered as a final protection against death.

Then, on page 410, when Phaedrus tries to crush him with a force field, the way he killed Val, David magically teleports outside fo the field without seeming to move (or maybe he teleported the forcefield away from himself?), much the same way that Sims teleport out of their beds when they're blocked in on all sides and the bed catches fire....not that I would know anything about that. :rolleyes: Anyway, right as that happens, Megan is regenerating, so it's put down to her interference. On the next page, Prof tries again, and the forcfield magically teleports itself to surround Prof. David credits Megan, and while she is supposed to be capable of greater feats right after she regenerates, I don't think she was there in time for the first save. Pretty sure it was David. He's just an unknowing epic.

In the first instance, David survives because he was loaded with healing from Prof.

The second time, it is Megan. She's there enough to teleport stuff away.

As I said earlier, David can't be an Epic because he was Gifted to by Prof. So... unless thats gonna turn out wrong as well.

killing Steelheart, and now Regalia and Obliteration, they've started a war, and they've committed to winning the larger war, not just individual battles with singular epics.

Obliteration wasn't killed. He teleported (which isn't a word according to spell check) after leading David to Regalia's lair.

Obliteration wasn't killed. He teleported (which isn't a word according to spell check) after leading David to Regalia's lair.

You are totally right. I knew that, but I don't know why I made the mistake when I posted. Probably because my mind was bouncing every which way right after finishing.

Though my point about them having started a war still stands ;)

Edited by Shadow Guardian

I also subscribe to the "David is an Epic" theory. But I think his gift(s) are going to be more in-line with, as others have mentioned, inpsiring people (or manipulating, potentially). He wouldn't notice it immeditaley because it's not something visible or manifests anything, and several people in the book had already commented on his persuasiveness.

According to Regalia, Calamity did say that David's gift would be "thematically appropriate". I always thought it was odd that Regalia would assume that meant water powers, as Epics don't appear to be gifted powers in line with their fears/weakness. Not only that, but water (or large bodies of it, if you prefer) was a relatively new thing for David, and hadn't played a major role in his life up until this point.

Some random thoughts after reading:

Why did Obliteration leave? What is his fear/weakness?

Megan's escape from "true death by fire" is very similar to how Deathless avoided "true death by Infinity Blade" in Sanderson's other stories.

My theory is that David did become an Epic. However, "being an Epic" is his ultimate fear. So, when he became an Epic, his fear came true, and as a result, he was limited by his weakness and he won't be able to use any of his Epic abilities. That means in the climax of book 3, David has to overcome this fear to really become an Epic. Just a theory.

Edited by keithli

Some random thoughts after reading:

Why did Obliteration leave? What is his fear/weakness?

Megan's escape from "true death by fire" is very similar to how Deathless avoided "true death by Infinity Blade" in Sanderson's other stories.

My theory is that David did become an Epic. However, his is afraid of "being an Epic". So, as long as he is afraid to be an Epic, he is "weak" and he won't be able to use any of his Epic abilities. That means in the climax of book 3, David has to overcome this fear and gain his Epic abilities. Just a theory.

I suppose that could explain why he was still able to be gifted abilities by Prof. So if David is/becomes an Epic, what do you think his weakness will be?

I suppose that could explain why he was still able to be gifted abilities by Prof. So if David is/becomes an Epic, what do you think his weakness will be?

His weakness is "being an Epic". So, he is weak by "being an Epic" (i.e. he is "always weak").

His weakness is "being an Epic". So, he is weak by "being an Epic" (i.e. he is "always weak").

Interesting thought, I think that could actually work. I wonder if an Epic being affected by their weakness can be gifted powers. Actually, do we even know how weaknesses affect gifters? I always assumed if the gifter was confronted with their weakness the giftees would lose the powers, but I'm not so sure anymore.

I personally think prof's weakness is failure, or something about a reminder of failure. Tia makes specific mention about this when explaining his visit to nasa in the photograph. Maybe out witting him in a battle will bring a sense of failure, exposing his weakness. Or, I could be totally wrong

Edited by tbone

I agree that Regalia's end game seemed a little weird, unless she was planning on having Prof heal her after she recruited him and David killed her before that could happen.  What bothered me was David not being able to figure out the connection between Steelheart's past and his weakness since he flat out told us the connection early in the book without realizing it.

As for David being an epic, I still think it is possible even though he was gifted powers.  Throughout the book David kept saying that he needed to throw out everything we knew about epics, which could include gifting powers to another epic.  Keithli's theory is a good one that would fit in with that.

I think Obliteration either went off to kill himself since he now knew what his weakness was or went off to face it.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him in book 3 paying penance for his past actions.

This isn't my favorite Brandon Series by far.  I thought Steelheart was fine, and I was mostly not digging this one (especialy all the "metaphors" ..yuck), then the ending. Loved it.  All in all I'd only give this book a 3/5, but from the moment we learn Calamity's true nature to the end of the book was phenomenal in my opinion.  

I'm totally coming out of hiatus to discuss Firefight! Oh, and also I'm that kind of person who orders books at their local book store to support them but upon realising they won't have it for a few weeks I also bought the ebook. Patience, what's that?

Anyway, loved the book (not sure if better or equal to Steelheart), but I have one burning question:

Obliteration said he would have had to fight Steelheart eventually if David hadn't killed him.
So, how would that fight have gone, apart from possibly laying waste to the wholy city?!
It would obviously depend on whether Obliteration was afraid of Steelheart or not. I'm more on the "not afraid" side, considering his, uh, craziness, so who would have won? And would the outcome change depending on whether Obliteration already had the cool-down time for his teleportation removed or not? (Yes. Steelheart could just zap him with his beams during the cool-down time?)