[Firefight Tour] SLC 1/5/15

Lady Radagu

Peter just tweeted our picture!

Edit: Well, I thought he did, but I can't find it. Maybe it will show up later. Anyway, we got codes!

Edit Again: Ha! It's up now!

Congrats! Is there a new Steelhunt? Or can those codes be used to finally get the last unlockable here?

So I was at the West Jordan signing and now I am back home, so time to talk about what happened!

The initial Q&A was not interesting if you were into cosmere stuff, but there was some useful writing related things. We actually have audio of everything, including questions during personalization, though the personalization stuff will need to cut down and transcribed.

The reading he did was of a thing called "Perfect State". I don't know if it is cosmere or not. I don't want to discuss it much because it had a twist at the end of the reading that I don't want to spoil, but it was cool.

I spent much of the signing helping out, so I did not catch much of what Brandon said to each person--I'll have to listen to the six hours audio V_V -- but I did hear a cool question near the end regarding Shai Forging herself to have a Shardblade. You'll get the specific phrasing soon, but the answer was that it would theoretically be possible, but in order to Forge yourself to have Investiture, you have to input that much Investiture, which is not "currently possible" by Forgery.

Additionally, a new fact was revealed to Josh and I regarding the Mistborn books. This will probably not be pertinent to anyone except classification nerds, but internally, Team Sanderson don't refer to the Mistborn books as the "first trilogy" or "second trilogy" because they decided that was too confusing with the Alloy-era books. So now they are referred to as Era 1 (First trilogy), Era 2 (Wax and Wayne era), Era 3 (the modern era, 1980s tech level trilogy), and at least an Era 4 for the scifi trilogy. However, the only confirmed ones are Eras 1-3, because there might be other intermediary books between the modern era and scifi trilogy ones. So in that case, there would be five eras. These are only internal things, not what Scadrians use. But they would write things like E1B2 for Well, E2B1 for Alloy, etc.

More to come :)

Thanks for the update, Chaos!

Interesting about Shai and the classification for Mistborn. The classification really makes sense. I'm excited that we could potentially have five sets of Mistborn books!

If Shai needs more investiture to forge herself to have a Shardblade, could she do so by accessing the Dor through other magic systems on Sel?

[Edit, to spell your name correctly ;)]

Edited by Titan Arum

I spent much of the signing helping out, so I did not catch much of what Brandon said to each person--I'll have to listen to the six hours audio V_V -- but I did hear a cool question near the end regarding Shai Forging herself to have a Shardblade. You'll get the specific phrasing soon, but the answer was that it would theoretically be possible, but in order to Forge yourself to have Investiture, you have to input that much Investiture, which is not "currently possible" by Forgery.

Very interesting! Deals with a few theories I've been bandying about. I wonder if it's support for or against the idea that you cannot convert one type of Investiture into another, or if you could use Forgery and become an Allomancer based on Breath inputted to the Forgery.

Thanks Chaos!

Amusingly enough, this is one of those things were I never went around and wrote a theory about it. It'd just be in the middle of a thread and someone would say "well you could Forge someone into having Allomancy" and then I'd go "well I doubt that you can use Forgery to mimic other Investitures..." and that'd be that. ;)

SLEEP_IS_FOR_THE_WEAK.jpg

But it's okay. There is yet time for you to forsake your mortal life and live and breathe to spread the Word. Of Brandon.

Yeah. I'm pretty weak. But I didn't get back home until nearly 5:00am, and then I had to take care of two little boys today on pretty much no sleep. And Firefight beckoned....

.... but I did hear a cool question near the end regarding Shai Forging herself to have a Shardblade. You'll get the specific phrasing soon, but the answer was that it would theoretically be possible, but in order to Forge yourself to have Investiture, you have to input that much Investiture, which is not "currently possible" by Forgery.

That was me! In theory, I have it recorded, but I don't think I can transcribe tonight. Maybe. I should have it up by tomorrow.

Yeah. I'm pretty weak. But I didn't get back home until nearly 5:00am, and then I had to take care of two little boys today on pretty much no sleep. And Firefight beckoned....

That was me! In theory, I have it recorded, but I don't think I can transcribe tonight. Maybe. I should have it up by tomorrow.

It was an excellent question! Good work :) And I'm very glad you're here :)

It's from the ultimate list, but I've wanted to know ever since I read it. :) Anyway, obviously, I did not go to bed and did some transcribing after all. Here's what I got.

Me: Does being the donor of a Hemalurgic spike have any implications for your afterlife? Or how about the recipient?

B: Um, that is actually going to depend on...okay, yes, it has implications for the afterlife. Yes. Yes.

Me: Okay, so are there a bunch of Scadrian souls wandering the afterlife with holes their personalities or memory or identity? Some with extra parts tacked on?

B: So, it has implications, but they're not exactly the ones that you're assuming. Um, so, in the Cosmere, there is dead, and mostly dead, okay? And this has been shown several times. So, once someone dies, there is a period before they transition. Right? Sazed talks about this um, in, in Mistborn 3, um, and so, most of the implications are before transition. Does that makes sense? Post transition, you're going to have to ask the philosophers, and the theologians, who are the ones that, that talk about the..that. So there's an afterlife, and there's an after-afterlife. Not as many implications for the after-afterlife. Middle? Yes.

Me: What exactly was Shai's Soulforging of Ashraven comparing itself to to see how well it sticks? His Spiritual aspect? His Cognitive aspect?

B: It's more Spiritual. Much more Spiritual.

Me: If Shai were to gain a Shardblade, then she gave it up, could she create an essence mark that represented the history where she still had the Blade? If she then applied the essence mark could she summon the Shardblade or a copy of it?

B: So, um, doing that sort of thing, like rewriting herself even to be an Allomancer., or something like this....this is possible, but, in order to gain the Investiture she wants to have, she will have to input that much in Investiture, which her current magic system is not capable of doing. Okay? Alright, so, rewrite so that I have a Shardblade would require some sort of hacking of her magic system, which is currently impossible to her in her current situation.

Me: So, if she had had a shardblade and gave it up, she could not rewrite herself to have that back without more input?

B: Um, she could....Yes, exactly. Now rewriting, yes, that would be a lot easier than just rewriting herself so that she had a Shardblade.

Me: That's what I was asking.

B: Yeah, but what you're asking about would be much easier and that probably is within her power, but what that would do is, yeah, that's totally within her power. It would create some weird implications where she's summoning it, and someone else summons it back from her, cause the Shardblade thinks it's held by two people.

Me: So it wouldn't be a copy, it would be the same blade.

B: Yes. Mmm hmm.

So that's it. We got there rather late, and only got the tail end of the reading, so I'm glad I'll get to read the transcript eventually. And because we got there so late, we didn't get our turn until near the end, but it was fun meeting and chatting with so many other fans.

Last of all, I just want to say that every time I meet him (this is my third signing so far), I am so impressed by what a classy guy he is. Even when he's tired, he's so congenial, and not only doesn't seem to mind answering similar questions over and over, but genuinely loves chatting with each of his fans. I know this sounds totally fangirlish, but he is just. so. cool. B)

Thank you for those questions, Lady Radagu!

I am particularly fond of the bit where a Shardblade can have bonds to multiple people. I have this vision in my head of two people fighting and it's like Pacman and one person chases the other until the other gets the Blade ten heartbeats later, and then they reverse positions. I may be a bit crazy from tiredness.

Edited by Moogle

You've a habit of consistently picking/asking good questions, Lady Radagu. :)

-

The Ashraven question was one of mine, and the answer is... interesting. I might need to threadify at some point to revisit that question.

As I said when Chaos first mentioned it, good work on the Shardblade question. :)

The afterlife one is both kind of not essential and mildly essential to have, as occasionally a "Hemalurgy morality" debate springs up and the whole "we have no idea if this wrecks your immortal soul" problem is kind of a roadblock to fully educated discussion.

B: So, um, doing that sort of thing, like rewriting herself even to be an Allomancer., or something like this....this is possible, but, in order to gain the Investiture she wants to have, she will have to input that much in Investiture, which her current magic system is not capable of doing. Okay? Alright, so, rewrite so that I have a Shardblade would require some sort of hacking of her magic system, which is currently impossible to her in her current situation.

If this is not a Chekhov rocket launcher, I don't know what is. Shai picking up another magic system is so confirmed in my eyes.