[Firefight Tour] San Diego, 1/20

Newan

Who else is going?  I am!

http://brandonsanderson.com/upcoming-events/#5402

I can't tell if the store is selling numbered copies, or if the numbers are just for our place in line.  Mysterious Galaxy is kind of a long drive from my house, so I think I'll just call the store at 10:00 a.m. when it opens on Tuesday to get a number.

Edit: Also, I accidentally put the date as January 21st in the title of the thread.  It's really January 20th.  Is it possible to edit the title of a thread?

Edit 2: Thanks, mod.  

Also, I just called Mysterious Galaxy and bought my copy of Firefight!  I'm going to be #9 in line.

Edited by Newan

• 3 weeks later...

Leinton on tumblr went and asked the following questions:

Me: Of all the published shardworlds, which one is your favorite to write and which would you want to live on.
Brandon: One he wants to live on would definitely be Scadrial, because they have running water and electricity. Favorite to write is Roshar. He would not want to live on any of them though because they don't have internet or delivery pizza. (He later stated that delivery pizza would likely be a thing Scadrial would get, but that it would not be delivered via coinshots becaues they were too expensive)

Me: I read recently you sold the rights to the Mistborn movies, was that a purchase or an option?
Brandon: It was an option, no purchase has been made yet.

Me: If a person stores a lot of Investiture, could they resist a Shardblade?
Brandon: This is theoretically possible.

Me: Were the Edgedancers sort of like social workers?
Brandon: He laughed at this question, and said that was sort of accurate, but they were more like good samaritans than social workers.

Me: Did Rashek use the Well or a bead of lerasium to become a Mistborn?
Brandon: He didn't know at first, I told him there were interviews with him saying both, and he eventually answered with "I'm canonizing it as he used the Well".

Me: Is a Shard's influence of power based on physical distance, cognitive distance, something else, or does it vary from Shard to Shard?
Brandon: It varies, but is definitely more physical.

Me: Do Gasper ferring and allomancers holding their breath use similar mechanisms to hold their breath?
Brandon: It's not the same, but it is similar.

Me: So for Kaladin’s depression and Stormlight’s healing abilities, does Kaladin remain depressed because of his view of himself, or is it a limitation of Stormlight’s abilities to heal, or something else?
Brandon: Disorders like depression are a part of a person's personality, and thus aren't diseases and cannot be cured. He talked a lot about this, and he talked about how a hyper kid annoys people but that doesn't mean there's something wrong.

Me: Can you use hemalurgy to power machinery?
Brandon: He was initially confused as to what I meant, so I said I got the idea from thinking about FTL travel, and he said that it was a RAFO, but that I was thinking along the right lines, there needs to be a merger between magic and technology.

Good on Leinton. A high density of interesting questions there.

Of particular note, 

Me: If a person stores a lot of Investiture, could they resist a Shardblade?

Brandon: This is theoretically possible.

gives some credence to Moogle's old theory. Of course the fight at the end of WoR looks to knock actual Surgebinders at even very-high levels of Investment out of the running, but still.

Then:

Me: Did Rashek use the Well or a bead of lerasium to become a Mistborn?

Brandon: He didn't know at first, I told him there were interviews with him saying both, and he eventually answered with "I'm canonizing it as he used the Well".

Good to get nailed down, I suppose, due to the conflicting(?) information we've been pulling.

Then this:

Brandon: He was initially confused as to what I meant, so I said I got the idea from thinking about FTL travel, and he said that it was a RAFO, but that I was thinking along the right lines, there needs to be a merger between magic and technology.

Really wish we had verbatim here, but from the looks of it this does kind of nail down the use of "technomancy" for future-Scadrial's FTL.

Edited by Kurkistan

Ooh. Nice questions. My old theory there was clearly wrong, so I guess we can say with some confidence that Surgebinder's Investiture-density is nowhere near Shardplate, but I wonder what would happen with the God King?

Rashek confirmation is nice. I blame Windy for confusing me in the first place. This is also semi-confirmation that Rashek used a lerasium bead for Feruchemy, maybe?

It's also interesting that Shard's influnce is limited Physically for the most part... how far does an Allomancer have to travel from Scadrial before their powers stop working? I'm putting that one on my list of questions.

I knew cyborg allomancy/feruchemy would be a thing!

Jokes aside, that's some good info as a whole.

Rashek confirmation is nice. I blame Windy for confusing me in the first place. This is also semi-confirmation that Rashek used a lerasium bead for Feruchemy, maybe?

Or didn't use it at all. We are still in the dark on this one.

It's also interesting that Shard's influnce is limited Physically for the most part... how far does an Allomancer have to travel from Scadrial before their powers stop working? I'm putting that one on my list of questions.

You are probably going to get a literal RAFO here. I mean, what kind of an answer are you hoping for, 5 light years? 

You are probably going to get a literal RAFO here. I mean, what kind of an answer are you hoping for, 5 light years? 

"Larger than the diameter of the galaxy the cosmere storyline takes place in"?

Something like that. Or he could say there is no limit!

Edited by Moogle

Ooh. Nice questions. My old theory there was clearly wrong, so I guess we can say with some confidence that Surgebinder's Investiture-density is nowhere near Shardplate, but I wonder what would happen with the God King?

He said that strong Investiture meant "theoretically possible." To me, that basically says that simply "a lot of Investiture" will never be enough, there's another element we're missing. If he were saying that a high amount of Investiture is all you need, that would not be "theoretically possible".

I think he's admitting that his previous W's-o-B were contradictory, not that we now need to find a way to justify how they're all technically, grammatically true. I'd still love to know how lerasium is used feruchemically, and I see no reason he wouldn't have taken a bead if it was useful (and it's a godmetal so how could it not be?) but I personally would not use any of these WoB as evidence one way or another on that.

Do we know that "allomancers can use their power" is the same as "influence of a Shard"? Maybe Mr. Sanderson was answering the question, "What can Shards choose to influence," but there's no reason an Allomancer can't draw on Preservation's power from another planet. Like a reservoir only services a certain area, but it can have an aqueduct bringing its water to a specific location. I'm just saying, I don't know that we've ever heard for sure he's answering the questiong you seem to think we're asking.

He said that strong Investiture meant "theoretically possible." To me, that basically says that simply "a lot of Investiture" will never be enough, there's another element we're missing. If he were saying that a high amount of Investiture is all you need, that would not be "theoretically possible".

I think he's admitting that his previous W's-o-B were contradictory, not that we now need to find a way to justify how they're all technically, grammatically true. I'd still love to know how lerasium is used feruchemically, and I see no reason he wouldn't have taken a bead if it was useful (and it's a godmetal so how could it not be?) but I personally would not use any of these WoB as evidence one way or another on that.

Do we know that "allomancers can use their power" is the same as "influence of a Shard"? Maybe Mr. Sanderson was answering the question, "What can Shards choose to influence," but there's no reason an Allomancer can't draw on Preservation's power from another planet. Like a reservoir only services a certain area, but it can have an aqueduct bringing its water to a specific location. I'm just saying, I don't know that we've ever heard for sure he's answering the questiong you seem to think we're asking.

I've added that to my personal list of questions to ask, for the same reasons you just brought up. I'm pretty sure we have WoB on the ability of Allomancers to use their power elsewhere, and I will search for those momentarily...

Is that confirmed? I thought it was a well supported theory, but not quite confirmed...?

The only quote that I can find on short notice is this:

INTERVIEW: Dec 6th, 2014 QUESTION
When Hoid is playing for Kaladin, has he awakened some part of himself to help him play?
BRANDON SANDERSON (PARAPHRASED)

No, he's not Awakened anything to help him play.

QUESTION

Did he use Allomancy?

BRANDON SANDERSON (PARAPHRASED)

RAFO.

TAGS

But I feel like there was confirmation at one point. Possibly not. It seems pretty obvious.

I'm fairly sure there's a definitive "Hoid uses emotional Allomancy on Shallan" quote, but in the meantime to answer the question at hand:

Source:

2:51:29

Q. In other worlds, are we seeing any magics already? Like, Allomancy might be in Roshar?
A. You’ve seen people using Allomancy in Roshar before.
Q. You said that on Roshar the only reason they have aluminum is that they can Soulcast it, right? I think you said something like that … maybe?
A. (no answer)
Q. I was wondering how that would work, if an Allomancer were to--
A. Aluminum has some weird properties on all of the magic systems, not just allomancy. It does not have the same effect, but aluminum has some bizarre effects.
Edited by Kurkistan

Hello all! Just a few thoughts I wanted to put in, maybe clear up some things because it wasn't verbatim (my phone's battery drains real quick if I turn on any recording).

The last part of the Hemalurgy question is almost verbatim, but not quite. He was vague on the hemalurgy part, but there needing to be a merger between science and magic is almost word for word. That was the question he answered the most succinctly.

The person I was with talked to him about using allomancy on other worlds, and I have as well in the past, and I don't think allomancy is limited by distance at all. I don't think it's tied to the shard's power quite the same way as the Dor. However, my friend did discover that Brandon and Peter have worked up conversions for this stuff, I'll ask her when I do a more comprehensive write up later what he actually told her on that. 

Also, this is the second time I have had a roll on answering cosmere questions in a row. :) The other was Words of Radiance. I feel like I've been getting lucky, but he seems to appreciate specific questions that don't directly relate to plot.

I plan on doing a more comprehensive writeup either today or tomorrow with the Q and A section and other stuff he talked about. The reading was still Perfect State so nothing new there, but he talked about some interesting stuff in his speech beforehand.

Edit: In answer to the OP's question, the event was numbered for place in line, not for a numbered copy. I assume the OP knows this by now, but I figured for those of you who might be wondering about whether we got Official numbered copies I'd say something anyway.

Edited by leinton

So, we need something of be a merger between science and magic. How about http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_Code this.

Put a allomancer, (well the better part of him at least) in a "matrix"  machine device. We are in a scifi setting, so lets' say insert some cranial electrodes mambo-jumbo to active the "almost but not quite" allomancer using his power but at same time having precise controls of what is going on and voilá a very creepy Bio-FTL-allomancer drive.

Or we have the something between in this way, like if you wanna play square, use Hermalurgy to put in, let's say, a cloned body without conscious the required allomancer power to act like the bridge and  tcharammmm less creepy Bio-FTL-Allomancer drive.  (Ethical concern plot problems are a bonus)

In a more serious way anybody asked to Brandon if the Hermalurgy could be used to give Allomancer power to animals ? I think that readed that Kandra could receive a spike with allomancer power,  but never if a dog or such could. If the answer is yes we could have something of Bio-FTL driver really going on.

=)

In a more serious way anybody asked to Brandon if the Hermalurgy could be used to give Allomancer power to animals ? I think that readed that Kandra could receive a spike with allomancer power,  but never if a dog or such could. If the answer is yes we could have something of Bio-FTL driver really going on

Yes. Here.