[Firefight Tour] Philly, 1/27

Oudeis

I'm going. Starting up a thread to see if anyone else is.

I'll be coming from out of town and I know Philly less-than-well, so if you live nearby I might ask your advice on things.

EDIT: What few things I've figured out so far.

Looks like you can see the store from the local train station, which is a straight (reasonably quick) shot down the road from Philly 30th Street. Bad news: Nowhere to eat all that close by. Within a mile it looks like a wendy's, an IHOP, a McD's, a few coffee shops. I plan to get there early, maybe grab a bite somewhere they will let me charge my phone back to full so I can record the signing line, then hang out in the book shop as early as they will let me.

The last train back to Philly is at 11:56. The two before that are 10:31 and 9:26. So if the 10:31 is missed, presumably places will start to close and it will be a cold, lonely wait for the midnight train (not to Georgia.) For people who don't want to travel that late, looks like there's a Wyndham within walking distance.

Edited by Oudeis

Hey Oudeis, I may be interested as Philly is the closest destination for me as well. I'm down in DC so I may try to take the bus up to Philly and then train to Haverford. Worst case scenario with the trains, if there are several people leaving and we miss the train back to Philly, we could get a cab or Uber back and share the cost. No matter what I'd be taking the bus back down to DC.

Another option, if more people from DC want to make the effort we could carpool up. I'd be willing to rent a car for a day and share the cost with people.

I will be attending the Philly book signing as well. Afterwards, my wife and I will be visiting the a.bar in Rittenhouse square, 18th and Walnut st, NE corner. I'd love to hang out with some fellow 17th Shard enthusiasts and discuss the cosmere and anything else. My brother Paul is a bartender there, and has a whole series of Dune-themed drinks he offers on request, for those who are a fan of Frank Herbert's series as well. It's about 9 miles from the signing. I'd also certainly be up for meeting up somewhere beforehand.

Edited by AndrewStirlingMacDonald

I'm considering it, but the logistics of the drive after work from South Jersey don't look good.  At this moment, I probably won't be able to go, but if there are future signings in the area, it would be awesome to plan a 17th shard meet-up!

I will be attending the Philly book signing as well. Afterwards, my wife and I will be visiting the a.bar in Rittenhouse square, 18th and Walnut st, NE corner. I'd love to hang out with some fellow 17th Shard enthusiasts and discuss the cosmere and anything else. My brother Paul is a bartender there, and has a whole series of Dune-themed drinks he offers on request, for those who are a fan of Frank Herbert's series as well. It's about 9 miles from the signing. I'd also certainly be up for meeting up somewhere beforehand.

Does your brother's bar have any Russian River brews on tap? If so, maybe I'll be tempted to stop by. Then again...I'll be driving back to DC afterwards.

I'm considering it, but the logistics of the drive after work from South Jersey don't look good.  At this moment, I probably won't be able to go, but if there are future signings in the area, it would be awesome to plan a 17th shard meet-up!

Leave work early! Take a few hours of PTO! Maybe you can tell your boss that you have an afternoon dentist appointment?

Yeah, alas, I would go if it was more convenient, but I work for this world's version of the Lord Ruler in that we can't just take off an hour early, we have to take our time off in half days.  On top of that, despite the fact I've worked here five years (and in my old job would have had three weeks of vacation plus personal and sick days besides), I only get two weeks of combined vacation/personal/sick days at this place.  It's a terrible place to work, which is why I'm on the verge of looking for a new job.  But I digress, if the signing was in center city or closer to the Jersey side, I would have been able to pull it off.  AND I would have also been one of the 30-somethings group, though not in costume.*

*Read this comment at your own peril: I'm sure my husband would appreciate it if I dressed up as Megan, me being blonde, but I totally would not feel comfortable.  Maybe fifteen years ago...

I'll bring my Szeth game figure. If someone else brings their's, we can play! Since we don't know how to play and the stats are perforce exactly the same, it will consist of having our Szeths face each other, each roll a die, and whoever gets the higher number wins.

ADVANCED RULES: Best two out of three.

Edited by Oudeis

Sorry for the double-post; just wanted to make sure people see this as NEW because if you're going it could be very relevant.

Just spoke with the venue, and I have some additional information.

They will require that you purchase a book there to attend the event. They have more of his Young Adult stuff, but you can call and order any book still in print, though you will have to purchase it over the phone. If you buy a book but don't show up on the day of the signing, they will have Mr. Sanderson sign it for you and hold it until you can get there.

The store itself closes at 6pm. They will open again at 7pm for the signing event.

They don't typically do numbers or wristbands. If they expect very large groups, they might give out numbers. The last Sanderson event at this store had about 40 people, which wasn't enough to warrant numbers.

I will call again on Monday the 26th. By then, based on how many people call to ask about the event, they will make the decision on whether or not to give out numbers. If they do, you can pick up your number/buy a book from about 5pm to 6pm, before they close prior to the event. If they expect a TON of people, they will leave the store open the extra hour between 6 and 7 to pick up numbers.

Also as a general rule, she said, Sanderson fans are courteous and nice, so I for one look forward to living up to her expectations.

I really wish this one could work out for me to come. :(  Seriously, though, I will see you all at the next Philly event, whenever that may be!

If you really want to make up some advanced-play rules for Szeth v. Szeth, consider using a deck of cards and playing War. ;)

I really wish this one could work out for me to come. :(  Seriously, though, I will see you all at the next Philly event, whenever that may be!

If you really want to make up some advanced-play rules for Szeth v. Szeth, consider using a deck of cards and playing War. ;)

...except that Szeth has already eliminated every King.

...except that Szeth has already eliminated every King.

This begs the question: What rank/characters would be on a Stormlight Archive themed deck of cards? :D   Obviously, the kings would need to come out.  Would the Aces be the Knights Radiant, for example?

This begs the question: What rank/characters would be on a Stormlight Archive themed deck of cards? :D   Obviously, the kings would need to come out.  Would the Aces be the Knights Radiant, for example?

Ohh, maybe we can start a Kickstarter for this?!

We can use some of the reputation markers to dictate the suite characters or just use real characters?. Maybe something like this:

2: Cremling/nothing is lower than a Cremling

3: Darkeyes/Cenn

4: Bridgeman/Skar

5: Ardent/Kabsal

6: Parshendi/Rlain

7: Lighteyes/Amaram 

8: Honor Spren/Syl

9: Radiant Squire/Lopen

10: Voidbringer/Eshonai

J: Bridgeleader/Kaladin

Q: Surgebinder/Jasnah

K: Knight Radiant/Dalinar

A: Herald/Jezrien

Joker: Wit

Obviously this can be changed with better options, as this was just a quick stab. 

Posted Today, 04:36 AM

Edgedancer, on 09 Jan 2015 - 10:49 AM, said:snapback.png

Of course, the food he made instantly went Bam! That is awesome.

So InstaBam is really Emeril Lagasse?

From my "Prof's weakness" thread on the Firefight spoilers board. This might just end up being my costume...