Saidin Channeling Levels

AerionBFII

Hello i've just finished another re-read of WOT and i have found a power ranking list for female channelers: http://13depository.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/saidar-strength-ranking.html

We also have a ranking of power for the forsaken from the Wikia:

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Forsaken#Scale_of_power

I wonder how M'hael would fit into that?

I merely want to see your opinions as to what ranking you think the male channelers have by using the same levels as the women.

Level 23: Morridin (MAX) Rand (MAX)

Level 22: Aginor (MAX), Demandred, Sammael

Level 21: Logain Ablar, Mazrim Taim, Rahvin 

Level 20: Bel'al (MAX), Narishma (Minimum)

Level 19: Balthamel

Level 18: Asmodean (Minimum) 

Level 03: Androl

Edited by WEZ313

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Actually ranking the characters with "power levels" kinda makes it feel like a video game instead of an immersive world. I prefer thinking there's no quantifiable way to rank the power, and the strongest channelers are the ones who win in a fight/heal most effectively/etc etc. Making levels takes away the magic.

Generally speaking i can agree with you, but with the One Power it's stated clearly that the strength with the power, the amount of Saidar/Saidin you can use, is quantifiable quality. The frigging Aes Sedai use it to establish their internal hierarchy.

That doesn't mean that when two channelers fight the stronger in the power wins, but it obviously gives you an advantage.

I understand that some are stronger than others, but if someone is stronger than you in real life, you don't say "He's level 24 at bench press..." You just say that he's stronger than you. That's what I mean. (I should've stated it more clearly in the last post)

Saidin level ranking isn't like saying "bro do you even lift?" It's a substance that can be measured and is by many groups.

RJ used it as a guide to remember the ranking levels of the Aes Sedai 'monarchy' since their entire structure is based of strength.

I really want to know who ranks where and i find it rather interesting.

I understand that some are stronger than others, but if someone is stronger than you in real life, you don't say "He's level 24 at bench press..." You just say that he's stronger than you. That's what I mean. (I should've stated it more clearly in the last post)

yeah, you would say how much he can lift over his head, or how much he can run before needing to rest..

that's why I find the idea of channeling "levels" quite unsatisfying. I would prefer that they used some objective parameter, like how much wheight one could lift with the power, or what would be the biggest size of a fireball they could make.

On the other hand, putting those things on paper would have constrained jordan. instead, he simply preferred to write who was stronger than who for keeping consistent. So you got a list like "A stronger than B much stronger than C about equal to D..." and from there to assign levels it is a small step