Mitosis: Worth It?

GreyPilgrim

So I bought Mitosis a while ago, when it was released, but never read it (at least, I have no recollection of it if I did). Is it worth (re?)reading before Firefight, or does it not really matter? I guess what I mean is, does it contain potential setup for Firefight or advance plot/character to a significant enough degree that a loyal Sandersonian would not want to miss it?

What's mitosis actually about?

The blurb on Brandon's website just says 'reckoners, between books 1 and 2'.

No spoilers please, can someone blurb the story for me?

This blurb assumes you've read Steelheart already. There will be SPOILERS for said book.

After Steelheart's death, the Reckoners are doing their best to get the city of Newcago running on its own. It's hard getting a city long ruled by fear to accept independence, though, and their work is jeopardized when a powerful High Epic named Mitosis invades the city.

Mitosis demands two things--the surrender of the Reckoners and the life of David Charleston.

Hope that's succinct enough. And happy reading--it's an awesome piece of work. :)

This blurb assumes you've read Steelheart already. There will be SPOILERS for said book.

After Steelheart's death, the Reckoners are doing their best to get the city of Newcago running on its own. It's hard getting a city long ruled by fear to accept independence, though, and their work is jeopardized when a powerful High Epic named Mitosis invades the city.

Mitosis demands two things--the surrender of the Reckoners and the life of David Charleston.

Hope that's succinct enough. And happy reading--it's an awesome piece of work. :)

Sounds cool :) thanks! Edited by Delightful

Yeah, definitely worth the short amount of time it would take to re-read. *nods *  Right now, I'm trying to finish listening to the audiobook version of Steelheart as a refresher.  Very close to finishing...  Then maybe I can sneak in Mitosis over lunch break tomorrow since my copy of Firefight should be in the mailbox for when I get home that day. ;)

Because of this post, I just downloaded Mitosis on my Kindle. Hopefully I can read it tonight before Firefight comes out. I just finished reading Steelheart for the first time yesterday. Can't wait for Firefight!

Spoiler: Cosmere

I also noticed that in the prologue, we find the following potential allusion to the Cosmere: 

Steelheart laid waste to that room, knocking down pillars, killing anything he saw. I'm not sure how I survived, crawling over the shards of glass and splinters of wood, plaster, and dust raining down around me. 

It seems to me that this must be an Easter Egg for Cosmere-aware readers. I know those words are great descriptors for the scene, but being that close to each other, and seeing that this is a Brandon book, it must be a Cosmere reference, right?!

Just my two cents: If you have it, read it, but don't go out and buy it.

It's fun enough, but I thought Mitosis was pretty sub-par compared to Brandon's usual work. I suspect that all the great reviews by sharders and my other friends inflated my expectations too much. It may also be because I listened to the audible version and generally prefer text.

As I said in my goodreads review, it obviously didn't fit into the trilogy proper, and I don't feel like it adds much to the overall story.

• Chaos locked this topic