[Theory] Cohesion and Tension

ostrichofevil

• 1 month later...

I'm not trying to put words in others' mouths, but I think it's a combination of the epigraph describing Willshapers as having a love of adventure, and Eshonai fitting the description of that epigraph quite a bit (she loved exploration).

• 4 weeks later...

I would think it works the other way too, such as: "A sword tries to cut your flesh, and shatters instead."  Because you solidifed your skin layer that much that it can't be damaged.

That sounds super boss. Could you do it to a Shardblade? Maybe that is why Hoid isn't scared of Shardblades. Cohesion and Tension....

You guys are also missing something important. If you can increase or decrease Cohesion and tension in object you could cause an object to break down violently as its molecular bonds are severed.

IE Molecular Fission. This is why the releasers sound so interesting to me. There opponents and even the environment around them exploding in a flash of nuclear fire at a touch.

• 1 month later...

You guys are also missing something important. If you can increase or decrease Cohesion and tension in object you could cause an object to break down violently as its molecular bonds are severed.

IE Molecular Fission. This is why the releasers sound so interesting to me. There opponents and even the environment around them exploding in a flash of nuclear fire at a touch.

I'd guess that there are limits to this, though.

Something I was thinking about, regarding Willshapers' use of Transportation and Cohesion, was that it would be akin to telekinesis.  I can't think of a better way to describe this.  I've been suspecting - and I doubt I'm alone in this - that Jasnah's ranged Soulcasting was due to combining it with Transportation, and that made me wonder if Willshapers could do the same with their abilities, thus making it seem like they're "shaping with their will," so that it seems they're utilizing Cohesion from a distance (via Transportation) to alter the bonds of objects while also moving them with Transportation.  To other eyes, it looks like they're manipulating reality in front of them.

I really like this idea -- I hadn't thought of combining the abilities. But, if that is the case, why did Jasnah have to put her finger into the strawberry jam? 

I was really excited about the possibilities until I remembered the jam. Now, I'm sad.

I should also mention one thing, that I'm now dithering if Jasnah's ranged Soulcast was due to Transportation or not.  She closed her eyes, and that could easily mean she was finding their flames in Shadesmar to force the change there, but it manifested as a ranged blast of Stormlight in the Physical realm.

This is probably more likely.

I really like this idea -- I hadn't thought of combining the abilities. But, if that is the case, why did Jasnah have to put her finger into the strawberry jam? 

I was really excited about the possibilities until I remembered the jam. Now, I'm sad.

This is probably more likely.

I don't think that she did have to since she was able to Soulcast people from several feet away

Do we know that she had to?  (for plot reasons she did, so that Shallan could realize she soulcast the jam)

It seems clear she did not have to, but doing it from range has a few problems in this case:

• It makes a lightning bolt of Stormlight, which might be a little noticeable. In case she wasn't being assassinated, she wouldn't want Kabsal to know she was Soulcasting his jam.
  • It seems to take more power. When Jasnah Soulcast two thugs from afar, it shattered her gems, but the one she touched to turn to diamond only dimmed the gem.

• 2 months later...

If you look at the definition of cohesion it means 2 similar objects are united (simple def), could this mean that cohesion just makes one object like another (properties wise). For instance you could bind a stone to your armour so that it would take on the properties of stone and be stronger (lets say you choose the properties for now) or bind the ground to water so that  enemy will sink and when the stormlight runs out it while turn back to rock. I know its a bit of a stretch of definition but if you look at all of the abilities and what they actually do you will find that it doesn't always completely match the definition.

• 1 year later...
On 7/29/2015 at 8:31 PM, Kasitor's Tanavast said:

If you look at the definition of cohesion it means 2 similar objects are united (simple def), could this mean that cohesion just makes one object like another (properties wise). For instance you could bind a stone to your armour so that it would take on the properties of stone and be stronger (lets say you choose the properties for now) or bind the ground to water so that  enemy will sink and when the stormlight runs out it while turn back to rock. I know its a bit of a stretch of definition but if you look at all of the abilities and what they actually do you will find that it doesn't always completely match the definition.

That's a good way to think of it. It's definitely different than other theories I've read. 

• 1 year later...
On 12/29/2014 at 4:13 PM, dvoraen said:

Something I was thinking about, regarding Willshapers' use of Transportation and Cohesion, was that it would be akin to telekinesis.  I can't think of a better way to describe this.  I've been suspecting - and I doubt I'm alone in this - that Jasnah's ranged Soulcasting was due to combining it with Transportation, and that made me wonder if Willshapers could do the same with their abilities, thus making it seem like they're "shaping with their will," so that it seems they're utilizing Cohesion from a distance (via Transportation) to alter the bonds of objects while also moving them with Transportation.  To other eyes, it looks like they're manipulating reality in front of them.

In other words, I think Toph is more a Willshaper. :P

I'm in love with this idea. Any updates on it after reading Oathbringer? 

One obvious use of Tension (per WoB's explanation) is to stand on very small points; e.g.,  the anime 'stand on the points of trees' and similar.  You guys need a material scientist or mechanical engineer to explain exactly how powerful Tension would be as a Force.

The physicial/scientific effect of Tension would be to raise the Young's modulus of a material.  That would have all kinds of applications, such as having metal that just doesn't deform like it should.  You could also (theoretically) have an actual piece of wood act like metal (instead of Soulcasting the wood to metal).

What would be really interesting is if Cohesion and Tension can be used to transmute elements.  If possible, it would be theoretically possible to change one metal to another, with clear and obvious benefits to allomancy.  (Presumably aluminum would be excluded.)

On 7/27/2018 at 4:37 PM, Kelkamer said:

I'm in love with this idea. Any updates on it after reading Oathbringer? 

Stoneward use of Physical Tension really messed with the idea, that's for sure, but the concept really went sideways once it was oh-so-casually implied that Surges can be aspected to Physical, Cognitive, and/or Spiritual use.  It made me wonder if we're going to see Willshaper being taken quite literally, by which I mean something like Cognitive Cohesion = extreme or reduced willpower.  I can't begin to guess what use of Transportation Willshapers have now, if it differs from Elsecallers by much anyway.  I wouldn't be surprised if we saw something weird like "Cognitive Transportation" where your mind is literally elsewhere observing, not unlike an astral projection.

6 hours ago, dvoraen said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw something weird like "Cognitive Transportation" where your mind is literally elsewhere observing, not unlike an astral projection.

This reminds me a lot of what Jasnah does with soulcasting, actually, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a more fleshed-out ability of one of the other orders.

On the other hand, I kind of expected truthwatchers to be the ones that could 'see' things, but I suppose we're going to have to wait for renarin's book to really see what he can do. Assuming he follows conventional truthwatcher rules.

• 2 months later...
On 7/31/2018 at 8:19 AM, Ulthwithian said:

One obvious use of Tension (per WoB's explanation) is to stand on very small points; e.g.,  the anime 'stand on the points of trees' and similar.  You guys need a material scientist or mechanical engineer to explain exactly how powerful Tension would be as a Force.

The physicial/scientific effect of Tension would be to raise the Young's modulus of a material.  That would have all kinds of applications, such as having metal that just doesn't deform like it should.  You could also (theoretically) have an actual piece of wood act like metal (instead of Soulcasting the wood to metal).

What would be really interesting is if Cohesion and Tension can be used to transmute elements.  If possible, it would be theoretically possible to change one metal to another, with clear and obvious benefits to allomancy.  (Presumably aluminum would be excluded.)

I actually am a Civil engineer and have spent countless hours studying cohesion and tension as forces, and transportation (as a design discipline, although not my focus). My focus is hydraulic, geotechnical, and construction engineering. Probably why I'm so hung up on figuring out what Willshapers can do lol

On 12/30/2014 at 0:05 PM, Patrick Star said:

I can already see Eshonai (if she becomes a willshaper) marching up to Voidbringer HQ and saying "That's a nice outpost you got there.  It would be a shame if something were to... happen to it."

...Eshonai probably won't do something like that, as, last I checked, she was suffering from a rather debilitating ailment. Namely, being dead from drowning in stormwater.

15 minutes ago, Shadeshadow227 said:

...Eshonai probably won't do something like that, as, last I checked, she was suffering from a rather debilitating ailment. Namely, being dead from drowning in stormwater.

According to the date of the post you quoted, it was a good 3 years before OB confirmed her death. Amazing what reading another book in a series can do for your knowledge level, isn't it? 

9 hours ago, StormblessedSurvivor said:

Do we know if Cohesion and Tension can be used from a range?

We don't currently have anything conclusive. My guess on the issue is: 

We saw a stoneward use cohesion in a vision. In that vision he had to reach out and touch the side of the mountain, invest it, and then shape a staircase out of it. To me, this is similar to how every time we have seen Shallan use soulcasting, she is holding the object (the cup and the Legendary Stick); while Jasnah we have seen multiple times use soulcasting from a distance. I don't know if it is from a WoB or just speculation on the forums, but I believe the prevailing theory is that Jasnah can soulcast from a distance because of transportation surge. 

There is a WoB stating that his original idea behind stonewards was "everything is clay in their hands, not just stone and rock, but everything". So, given that WoB and the examples from books I mentioned, I believe that Stonewards can shape absolutely any material that they can lay hands on. Willshapers on the other hand can manipulate a lot of material (I think at least soil and water since they actually have a cohesive force that can be calculated) from a distance, like Jasnah and her soulcasting from a distance. 

That's my thoughts and impression on the issue given what we (I) currently know

• Chaos locked this topic